4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another one **sigh**

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Another one **sigh**

I sure you guys saw my last post with my story but heres the low down. My car has had a misfire in cylinder 1, so I swapped coils 1 and 3, misfire still remained in cylinder 1. So I thought it was a fuel injector in cylinder 1, so I did a test with a piece of hose to hear a clicking and it seemed that it was. SO I double checked my CEL and along with 0608, 0201 came up. So I checked the FAQ's and this is what it told me. What does this mean?

***Diagnostic Trouble Code 0201 indicates a problem with the ignition coil and power transistor. The ignition signal from the Engine Control Module is sent to and amplified by the power transistor. The power transistor turns on and off the ignition coil primary circuit. This on-off operation induces the proper high voltage in the coil secondary circuit.

The malfunction is detected when the ignition signal in the primary circuit is not entered during engine cranking or running.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:21 PM

I'm kind of in a pickle, any ideas i'd rather not replace coils if just a injector is bad and replace injectors if a coil is bad.
please
Old 12-02-2004, 09:51 AM

bump ttt....
Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Like I said in your other post I had the same codes you did and I checked all of the coils and plugs before anything else but it was the injector. If you checked it and it's no good then you should change it.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maxine
I sure you guys saw my last post with my story but heres the low down. My car has had a misfire in cylinder 1, so I swapped coils 1 and 3, misfire still remained in cylinder 1. So I thought it was a fuel injector in cylinder 1, so I did a test with a piece of hose to hear a clicking and it seemed that it was. SO I double checked my CEL and along with 0608, 0201 came up. So I checked the FAQ's and this is what it told me. What does this mean?

***Diagnostic Trouble Code 0201 indicates a problem with the ignition coil and power transistor. The ignition signal from the Engine Control Module is sent to and amplified by the power transistor. The power transistor turns on and off the ignition coil primary circuit. This on-off operation induces the proper high voltage in the coil secondary circuit.

The malfunction is detected when the ignition signal in the primary circuit is not entered during engine cranking or running.

Ok the misfire code you have obviously isn't your coils since your replaced them... You did the sound check on your injectors and you did hear a click. The thing about those is that they can still make the sound and be clogged up. I would replace injector 1 and see what happens.. Or you can just remove it and start the car and see how much fuel comes out (attach a hose so you won't spray every where. This will give you a more visual aspect of whats going on with that injector.
I had this problem last week and I thought it was the coils but ended up being a stuffed up injector that still made the sound like it worked properly.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by PRPmax
Ok the misfire code you have obviously isn't your coils since your replaced them... You did the sound check on your injectors and you did hear a click. The thing about those is that they can still make the sound and be clogged up. I would replace injector 1 and see what happens.. Or you can just remove it and start the car and see how much fuel comes out (attach a hose so you won't spray every where. This will give you a more visual aspect of whats going on with that injector.
I had this problem last week and I thought it was the coils but ended up being a stuffed up injector that still made the sound like it worked properly.
I misread your first post... But to add onto this your injector can still be bad and still click. So listen to the other ones too. If the sound is less uh prominent then it is still bad.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Hella internets

Why not try and swap the injectors? Put injector 1 into a different cylinder and swap it with a "working" one. Then see if it throws a misfire code in that cylinder....

Im not very mechanically "smart" but it makes sense....doesnt it? lol

Feel free to make me look like an idiot if this is the wrong way to go bout it...
Old 12-02-2004, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zach95SE
I misread your first post... But to add onto this your injector can still be bad and still click. So listen to the other ones too. If the sound is less uh prominent then it is still bad.

injectors are funny.. they can be clogged and still have the movement like the others. The sound check isn't nessassary a good one. Try Xerox's theory it does make sense.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by XeroX
Why not try and swap the injectors? Put injector 1 into a different cylinder and swap it with a "working" one. Then see if it throws a misfire code in that cylinder....

Im not very mechanically "smart" but it makes sense....doesnt it? lol

Feel free to make me look like an idiot if this is the wrong way to go bout it...
Yeah the only problem with that is its under the intake manifold. If i'm going through all that work just to get under it then close it back up to test it i might as well replace it. Unless i swap it with one in front for easier access.

Oh yeah, this also all started alittle while after i put seafoam in my car. So maybe it too good of a job of cleaning and clogged my injector.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:16 PM

Anybody in the st.louis area want to help install a fuel injector??
Old 12-03-2004, 08:33 AM

Anybody in the st.louis area want to help install a fuel injector??
The fuel injector really isn't that hard to do its just remembering how everything goes back together. And the bolts for the EGR tube on the back side along with two others on the backside are the tough part. Get a manual and if you are at all mechanically inclined its not too bad.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:07 PM

It would be alot easier if it was in front instead behind the IM. I got a qoute from the dealership and they want $482. Called another shop they want $375. Looks like i have a new project next week.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Hella internets

you put the seafoam in your gas tank or in your IM?

Im about to put a can in my gas tank...no im hesitant...

Should i be?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The error code your getting, 0201 is not related to your fuel injectors. You have a misfire do to an ignition problem. I'd look a little closer at your coils, try changing that bank of coils around more and see if you can get the trouble code to indicate another cylinder and follow a specific coil. If you can't get that to happen, I'd change all three coils on that bank of cylinders. Again, it's not a fuel related misfire, your ECU is telling you it's an ignition related misfire.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:21 PM

Couldn't the misfire be due to lack of fuel, from a clogged injector.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
The error code your getting, 0201 is not related to your fuel injectors. You have a misfire do to an ignition problem. I'd look a little closer at your coils, try changing that bank of coils around more and see if you can get the trouble code to indicate another cylinder and follow a specific coil. If you can't get that to happen, I'd change all three coils on that bank of cylinders. Again, it's not a fuel related misfire, your ECU is telling you it's an ignition related misfire.
How are you saying it is not a fuel related misfire? It says right in the stickies that it could be here it is:
0603 0604 0605 0606 0607 0608
If one cylinder is misfiring the problem is spark or fuel. A misfire due to a spark problem usually results in a Service Engine Soon light and one of these Diagnostic Trouble Codes:
0608 - Cylinder 1 misfire
0607 - Cylinder 2 misfire
0606 - Cylinder 3 misfire
0605 - Cylinder 4 misfire
0604 - Cylinder 5 misfire
0603 - Cylinder 6 misfire

You don't have any of these codes, and the engine smooths out at engine speeds greater than 1000 rpm, so let's assume the problem is with fuel delivery.

I believe one of your fuel injectors is not performing properly. There are two tests the home mechanic can make, the sound test and the resistance test.

With that done why isn't it fuel related if he already messed with the coils? I'd go ahead and change injector number 1.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:47 PM

Well i just changed coils 1 and 5. I have to go to work later so WHEN my cel comes on i'll check the codes. If its still cylinder 1 i'll swap injectors 1 and 2. sob that means removal of the im.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:23 PM

Well i just changed coils 1 and 5. I have to go to work later so WHEN my cel comes on i'll check the codes. If its still cylinder 1 i'll swap injectors 1 and 2. sob that means removal of the im.
If you do that then you will have to take the manifold off twice and put it back on twice. Is the clicking faint at all? If it is then you might as well change it.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:01 PM

^^^^^^^
I changed the coils not the injectors
Old 12-03-2004, 04:43 PM

^^^^^^^
I changed the coils not the injectors
Yeah I know then you said if it doesn't work you are swapping injetors 1 and 2...
Old 12-03-2004, 04:51 PM

yeah injector two is in front