4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is the stock fluid filter on 96 SE made by FRAM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 06:28 PM
supertool

Car feeling slow, looking for reason.

Trying to figure out if the previous owner ever changed the fuel filter.
It has a grey Fram filter.

Old 04-19-2001, 06:37 PM

The Fram is not stock. The OEM unit is made of metal.
Old 04-19-2001, 08:31 PM
rll96se

Originally posted by supertool
Trying to figure out if the previous owner ever changed the fuel filter.
It has a grey Fram filter.
Just curious since I have a 96 - how many miles do you have and how's she running?

Old 04-19-2001, 09:47 PM

I'm at about 125k miles, and the car runs great. I take really good care of it, and it takes good care of me. I haven't had to do any major repairs, the biggest one so far being the starter. It's still good enough to beat my friend's 97 with 40k (see my post for details.) Your car should last you a while.

*Edit* Sorry, I thought you were asking me. Oops.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:05 PM
supertool

Mine has 82K miles now (Auto)

It runs all right. I bought it at 76K.
I have recently changed spark plugs, and around that time, I started experiencing some vibrations at around 70-90 mph.
It's not major, but noticeable. Maybe it's related to harsher ride due to FSTB I put in at the same time.
No vibration when revving in neutral, so I don't know if it's related to plugs. The plugs are single platinums from pep-boys.
Since I don't know when some of these services were done by previous owner, I am thinking I should change the fuel filter. What other checks and changes would you recommend?
I am thinking about transmission flush and new ATF fill.
I changed air filter.

Old 04-20-2001, 07:50 PM
supertool

How much to replace fuel filter and both accessory belt.

My mechanic just charged me $100 (parts and labor) to replace those items. I came in to just change the fuel filter, and then he mentioned (correctly) that the drive belts were wearing out.
Is that ecxessive? There is probably around $40-45 worth of parts there. It's a non-dealer auto shop. How much would it have cost at the dealer, and should I look for another mechanic?

Old 04-20-2001, 08:13 PM

Re: How much to replace fuel filter and both accessory belt.

My mechanic just charged me $100 (parts and labor) to replace those items. I came in to just change the fuel filter, and then he mentioned (correctly) that the drive belts were wearing out.
Is that ecxessive? There is probably around $40-45 worth of parts there. It's a non-dealer auto shop. How much would it have cost at the dealer, and should I look for another mechanic?
When I had my drive belts changed, it cost about $95 at the dealer, including resetting my airbag light that had gone off for no apparent reason. So your mechanic was probably pretty reasonable. The fuel filter is a major pain to change.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:17 PM
supertool

The car still feels slow.

It doesn't seem to pull hard enough. And I think there is more vibrations. The gas pedal feels harder to push on. Shifting is rougher.
I think it started when I changed my plugs.
I put in Autolite single platinums. ( I asked for double, but didn't notice that the guy messed up)
Would it make a big difference or am I missing something else.
Other things I have done recently: FSTB, change air filter, oil/filter, fuel filter, and belts replaced.
What should I do now? Transmission flush?
How can I single out what's keeping my car back?

Old 04-20-2001, 10:35 PM
supertool

Re: The car still feels slow.

It doesn't seem to pull hard enough. And I think there is more vibrations. The gas pedal feels harder to push on. Shifting is rougher.
I put in Autolite single platinums. ( I asked for double, but didn't notice that the guy messed up)
Other things I have done recently: FSTB, change air filter, oil/filter, fuel filter, and belts replaced.
Bump

Old 04-20-2001, 10:41 PM

Re: The car still feels slow.

I have heard a lot of people comment that the VQ doesn't respond very well to any plugs besides the stock NGKs. I have the iridiums, but I think I will change to NGK pretty soon. My car is strong, but it does seem a little rough. A fuel system cleaning might help you, I know it made my car run better. I took my throttle body of and cleaned it the other day, and that seemed to help too. I always worry that my car isn't running well because it loses a lot of power moving from Seattle to Utah, but it is just the huge altitude difference (sea level vs. 4500 ft.)

As far as the transmission, a tranny flush will probably help to smooth out the shifts, and is good preventative maintenance. Some people have experienced premature transmission failure here. Mine still feels good after 125k miles of spirited driving, but the fluid has been changed very regularly.

The other thing to check on the vibrations is simply the wheel balance. I imagine that with those heavy chrome wheels having them even a little bit off could translate to a lot of vibration. Aftermarket wheels are notoriously hard to balance correctly.

Good luck with your car.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:05 PM
supertool

Thanks BrandonJ

Hmm. I really don't feel like changing the spark plugs after 2K miles. I will do it though if need be, since the old ones only cost me $2 each. The driver-side rearmost plug was a pain in the butt though.
So I will try those other things first.
The dealer charges $129 for
Moc Automatic transmission flush.
http://www.carcoupons.tv/stevenscreeknissan/moc.html
Is that reasonable? What does an average auto shop charge for that? Or are there cheaper places to do this?
What's fuel system cleaning and where can I do it?
About the Throttle Body cleaning, Is there a link for how to do it?
Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-20-2001, 11:21 PM

I think a quick-lube place will do a transmission flush for around $75-90, and they should have fuel system cleaning as well. As far as the throttle body, it's pretty easy. You just have to disconnect the coolant hoses, the throttle cables, the wiring harnesses, the air intake, and undo four bolts. I used throttle body cleaner and a nylon brush to scrub all of the black goo off, and sprayed some in the intake manifold for good measure. Probably took me about half an hour total. Just make sure the engine is cool - I didn't and I burned my knuckle.

With the plugs, I will say that I noticed a difference with the iridiums. The roughness probably has more to do with my old-school y-pipe than anything else. You can get the NGK Iridiums for about $6 a pop from ngkwholesale.com I think, which is a lot better than the $13 I paid for my Densos when they first came out.

I would definitely try the wheel balancing before anything else though. From what you described, I would say that is the culprit for your vibration.
Old 04-21-2001, 12:30 AM
supertool

Wheel balancing.

I assume I have to go to a shop for this. How much do you think that would run me?
I don't think these places are big fans of custom wheels.
These things came with the car, but other than that, neither am I. My rusty calipers show too much.
Also, a couple days ago, I found out that one of my tires had about 20-25 psi pressure instead of the 33. Maybe I drove like that for a few weeks. Possibly that would set the wheel off balance?
Thanks Again.

Old 04-21-2001, 02:43 AM

Having the tire pressure that far off can cause vibrations I think. I always take my car to the Big O Tires up the street. They send out coupons for $15 tire rotation and balance. They never complain about the custom wheels. You just have to find a shop that seems competent, like a shop that sells a lot of wheels.

You know it's not too hard to paint the calipers. Just use High-temp engine paint, and make sure you clean them well before. Make sure you mask everything too. Just an idea if you are ever bored.