4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FINALLY installed y-pipe, can't get rid of rattle, read ALL the related threads..

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FINALLY installed y-pipe, can't get rid of rattle, read ALL the related threads..

Hey all. FINALLY installed my warpspeed (thank you, GD) y-pipe after it had been sitting for 2 months or so in the garage. This is my first mod, I'm damn proud, the increase in power is wonderful, and I can't wait to do more.

Here's the problem. Can't get rid of the rattle. It's not the sound from increased flow. I don't think its bees in the can. It definitely sounds like something is hitting up against metal.

I hear it off the start at 1800-2500 rpm with mid throttle, and at any speed at full throttle.

I've searched and spent hours, if not days, going through every y-pipe post I could find. Tried the Dave B. mod, using hose clamp to tie the pipe to the front downpipe brakcet that stock was bolted to. I don't have a sturctural member anywhere behind the cat, just a single-bolt bracket just behind the resonator. There's a good inch or two between the top of the bracket and the bottom of the exhaust section. Put some heater hose around the bracket. Everything is tightened to spec, if not more. I'm using the factory hanger right in front of the cat. The rubber hangers are a bit more tight then they were with the stock pipe, but no matter how much I shake the thing while underneath, can't imagine any contact that would cause a rattle is coming from there.

Any other ideas? I know this is the 1 millionth y-pipe post, but like I said, I searched and think I've checked out every other post out there.

Pics of what I've done, along with a pic of my custom rhino-on-wood ramps, at http://www.cardomain.com/id/texas_max.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:34 PM

Heat shield over the cat? My heatshield over my rear manifold is going crazy as well...

also check the "cross member" (for lack of better words) that goes on your B pipe behind the resonator... you didnt post it, but I"m assuming you have your stock B pipe... it may be loose somehow back there.. or if you did put an aftermarket one, thats a major cause.. it happened to me ALOt and it was very annoying.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Heat shield over the cat? My heatshield over my rear manifold is going crazy as well...

also check the "cross member" (for lack of better words) that goes on your B pipe behind the resonator... you didnt post it, but I"m assuming you have your stock B pipe... it may be loose somehow back there.. or if you did put an aftermarket one, thats a major cause.. it happened to me ALOt and it was very annoying.
I am also having a rattling sound and I believe its comming from the "cross member" piece. What did you do to fix this? Exhaust wrap?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I don't have the cross member piece on after installing my b-pipe but I was planning to put it back on because the pipe bumps against the right side rear suspension arm. Because the Budget B is nice and shiny I've wrapped the cross member with this chimney tape from Home Depot so that I won't scratch the finish. The chimney tape can be found in the roofing dept. Its silver colored and can withstand heat.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:55 PM

"Heat shield over the cat"- dont' know why it would act up now, but I'll check it out...
"My heatshield over my rear manifold is going crazy as well"- I'll check this out too.

Don't have any other cross-member on/around the B-pipe. There's nothing attached to the exhaust between the factory y-pipe hanger immediately in front of the cat and the hanger with rubber behind the b-pipe, just before "the bend" starts.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:12 PM

It may be a long shot, but I also had a mysterious rattle after the new Y was put on. In my case it was a defective catalytic converter installed at the same time. Something in the interior of the cat came loose.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:32 PM

Have the stock B, and cat. Nothing new was put on except the y-pipe. I had a jackstand under the cat the entire time, so nothing should have been overflexed or bent.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by nissanfreak
I am also having a rattling sound and I believe its comming from the "cross member" piece. What did you do to fix this? Exhaust wrap?
Took it off, banged it down with a hammer until it was slighly curved.
Or get a muffler shop to chop off the hanger right after it and put the hanger a little lower on the pipe so it sits higher.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:35 PM

sorry a bit off topic, but thats a great idea with the ramps, texasmax!
Old 12-11-2004, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Yea i think so too.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:08 PM

OK, took the holiday weekend to get back to it. Turns out it was the driver side bolt that holds the rubber piece to the bottom of the car. Because the new pipe is a larger diameter than stock, the entire stock hanger assembly hangs lower, and so the top of the hanger bracket was hitting the head of that bolt. Don't know why I didn't think about that earlier. The gap looked like it was large enough...
Just took out the bolt and so the hanger is only hanging by one rubber mount instead of two.
Silent!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:54 PM

weird im having this same problem after i put in the budget ypipe on my 99... i took it to a muffler shop and i thought it was a leak but they seemed to have told me it was the heatshield over the cat and they said they would try and bend it for me and stuff but i got it back and its still the same so I really dont know (... im going to try getting a cattman one but im really confused.. it isnt all the way threw the rpm band either it seems to go away around 4k so i dont know..
Old 12-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i had the same problem, went back to the shop they just tightented it up to it couldnt move
Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by flexizganstah
i had the same problem, went back to the shop they just tightented it up to it couldnt move
I tighted mine with a friend and had a shop tighten it still makes the noise I really really hate it
Old 12-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Armed and Dangerous

I have heard that some of the cheaper brand y pipes can rub against the cross member below the engine and make a God awful amount of racket...
Old 12-28-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by i30ds
I have heard that some of the cheaper brand y pipes can rub against the cross member below the engine and make a God awful amount of racket...
thats gotta be it and Ive been told the cattman y is gunna solve my problem so imma buy it lol
Old 12-28-2004, 05:14 PM

cattman is AWESOME, i had the WS ypipe, sold it, bought a 2.5 year old cattman, its AWESOME, no vibrations no noise, slight rumble, but ill wrap it in tin foil and solve it.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

gmhoney, there is a metal peace u mite have to take off then raise the car u ll see it in the rear section of the exaust
Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Gmahoney
thats gotta be it and Ive been told the cattman y is gunna solve my problem so imma buy it lol
Cattman is expensive, but the higher quality is well worth it.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:09 PM

I just used process of elimination- I shoved in various lengths of cut-up heater hose between the y, cat, and any place they get near the body of the car or anything else, drove it down the ramps, backed up 20 feet or so, listened if there was any change, and then back up onto the ramps and tried again.