4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

For you drop in folks: K&N, Amsoil or other?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

For you drop in folks: K&N, Amsoil or other?

(Inspired by recent posts about K&N and MAF problems)

I've been wanting to drop another kind of filter in my car (I've got your run of the mill paper job in there right now) and have been considering either a K&N or Amsoil one.

From recent posts on K&N's potential to roast MAF's due to over oiling or poor filtration properties, Amsoil is becoming a more desireable choice for me. From what I've read, the Amsoil one claims to have a longer life span, have better dirt removal properties and has the same air flow as the K&N. (could be from biased reports, but for now I'll take it as gospel unless otherwise persuaded)

One thing though, it's made of foam. Should I be leary of foam filters? When I was researching intake filters, I read that the foam ones have a higher tendency to breakdown and cause damage than the paper ones. Is this true?

What kind of filters do you have and which ones would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I've been using K&N filters for years, all my vehicles. Never had a MAF fail on me. Currently have them installed in my 99 Maxima, 01 BMW 330 and my 1989 Yamaha FJ1200.. OK no MAF in the bike, but the filter rocks.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:35 PM

I have a K&N panel filter in my Odyssey, my old car a 1996 Olds Cutlass and most recently I have a cone K&N filter on my Maxima's short ram intake.

NO problems. Work great.

I think the problem people have is when they go clean them, they over oil it because it may seem that the more oil, the better it'll filter. And this is when their MAF sensors malfunction or die.

As long as you clean and re-oil it properly, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Every car i have and all the work trucks have K@N filters. Never had a problem yet and i dont think i ever will. Ive never heared of a problem before a thread i read last week.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:16 PM

My experience echoes the above comments. Been using a K~N for 5 years (same one) with absolutely no problems. People over-oiling may be giving them problems. When I do mine, I spray the oil lightly to just turn the filter pinkish red. Then I set it on several layers of newspaper or paper towels overnight so they absorb any excess oil. I actually keep a paper filter on hand to use in the car just for when I'm re-doing the K~N because it takes me overnight.

On a side note, I don't think I've noticed any performance increase from using the K~N. I do like the fact that I'll never have to buy a paper filter again, and I can clean/re-oil the K~N anytime I want. I would be interested to see any dynos someone has of a K~N versus paper on the same car. Anyone know of any?

Dave
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

right now i dont have a k&n but i have a generic cone rechargabele filter, for the last 30k or so. i cleaned and recharged it several times and havent had any problems yet.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
(Inspired by recent posts about K&N and MAF problems)

I've been wanting to drop another kind of filter in my car (I've got your run of the mill paper job in there right now) and have been considering either a K&N or Amsoil one.

From recent posts on K&N's potential to roast MAF's due to over oiling or poor filtration properties, Amsoil is becoming a more desireable choice for me. From what I've read, the Amsoil one claims to have a longer life span, have better dirt removal properties and has the same air flow as the K&N. (could be from biased reports, but for now I'll take it as gospel unless otherwise persuaded)

One thing though, it's made of foam. Should I be leary of foam filters? When I was researching intake filters, I read that the foam ones have a higher tendency to breakdown and cause damage than the paper ones. Is this true?

What kind of filters do you have and which ones would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.
I have been using the Amsoil Air Filter on 2 Maximas and Honda Civic for about 3 years now w/o any problems. Foam has not broken down at all. In my opinion they have a superior product in air flow and filtration efficiency!
Old 12-12-2004, 09:45 AM

try FRAM Air Hog. I just bought it yesterday at Autozone. It seems to work great.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 AM

yep do the same procedure listed above, since its my routine as well

get the K&N, when it becomes dirty enough go get a new paper filter, throw that in and go wash out your K&N, wait overnight for it too dry(i actually wait a few days) since you don't want water left in the filter to mix with the spray oil, next when the filter is totally dry; spray on the oil and coat each side once, and let that dry..............then just pop it back in and save the paper filter for the next cleaning
Old 12-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
My experience echoes the above comments. Been using a K~N for 5 years (same one) with absolutely no problems. People over-oiling may be giving them problems. When I do mine, I spray the oil lightly to just turn the filter pinkish red. Then I set it on several layers of newspaper or paper towels overnight so they absorb any excess oil. I actually keep a paper filter on hand to use in the car just for when I'm re-doing the K~N because it takes me overnight.

On a side note, I don't think I've noticed any performance increase from using the K~N. I do like the fact that I'll never have to buy a paper filter again, and I can clean/re-oil the K~N anytime I want. I would be interested to see any dynos someone has of a K~N versus paper on the same car. Anyone know of any?

Dave
I was curious to know about the correlation betwween drop ins and increased performance too. Drop in manufacturer's claim they increase performance but I wonder if it's a false claim, or as with the other intake systems (CAI, HAI etc.), there's no noticeable difference unless you couple it with a y-pipe.

Anybody feel a performance difference with just a drop in?

Any difference in the sound of it vs. a paper one?