4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stock MIDpipe Vs. Frankencar Midpipe Dyno Inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TheMax95
y would u bring this thing back to life??

-Paul
g4nismo was probably doing some research and forgot the he was looking into the past. It happens all the time.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by g4nismo
omg i'm so confused, i hear this and that and don't know wht to decide.

lets say you have a y-pipe and the weather is cold for couple months. would a stock w/ k&n filter box be better than lets say place racing cold air intake?
There's nothing to be confused about. The stock intake with the resonator attached makes better power for NA applications. Just hack the bottom box of your intake.

I recently saw some pictures of a severly hacked box and personally I don't think you have to go that far. You'll have to clean that filter everyweek if you live in dusty areas. I just made Swiss Cheese out of mine.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:03 PM

sorry for bringing this banal thread back up but i'm freaken gettin the CAI anyways cause its only $50, really tempting whenever i see thepic, and i want the louder sound,
and i can always compare cause i'm running hacked, oscai whtever, and k&n filter.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:27 PM

ah dammit im going back to stock intake, maybe I'll just drille a few holes into the bottom end of the intake box.

EDIT: sorry for bringing this thread up, I just did my research and I feel educated now! Thanks for this thread though, Nissan has gained alot of my respect with the fact being that stock intake is better.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

I just put in my stock mid w/ resonator. But I have it hooked up to a custom cai on the filter side. So far I like it. Throttle response seems better. And the revs don't drop as fast inbwtween shifts. ( I have the Fidanza ) Sound is quieter which is actually nice. I'll put on my old JWT cone and see if that makes a diff.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:32 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

hacked airbox w/o resonator...
Old 04-30-2005, 10:51 AM

Any dyno results from a stock air box setup -vs- a cattman or place racing CAI setup? Curious if it is even worth changing anything now...
Old 04-30-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by joosdawg
so how does everyone think a rigged up stock midpipe mated to the bottom half of a place racing CAI would do? iven never seen that done yet but it is possiable. -Ryan
I have that setup. Its GREAT!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Good info zack... I had asked you what you learned on the dyno and never got any info back

Thanks for taking your time to show us

I guess its goodbye to my frankencar... I bought a place racing CAI last week, I should be getting it this week
hey, let me how it goes when u get it installed! i have mine in the box but i havent had time to get the hole cut out for it!lol
Old 05-01-2005, 06:55 AM

Any difference between the K&N drop in filter and the AirHog filter? I was in a local auto parts store and the price were the same on both, the K&N just seemed a bit more stiff (build quality). Just was curious if anyone noticed any difference between the two.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:03 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I just put in my stock mid w/ resonator. But I have it hooked up to a custom cai on the filter side. So far I like it. Throttle response seems better. And the revs don't drop as fast inbwtween shifts. ( I have the Fidanza ) Sound is quieter which is actually nice. I'll put on my old JWT cone and see if that makes a diff.
I put my stock midpipe back on mated to the CAI and cleaned the throttle body while I was at it , throttle response is quicker and the car is quieter, my question is where to put that air temperature sensor, on the aftermarket midpipe it actually has a hole for it, the original hole was on the actual stock "snorkel".
Old 08-14-2005, 02:43 PM

I love the sound of the Cattman/PR CAI so much that I'm willing to sacrifice the 2-5hp. Personally when I put it on I thought I had a little less low end and a little more top end.

Does it matter as much on a VQ35?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:45 PM

how about i just take out my frankencar midpipe put in stock midpipe and use the apex'i adapter that came with my frankentake with apex'i filter.
How will that responds??
and how will it souns??
can the ram air thing be connected to that setup because i think that is what makes the stock airbox so much more responsive.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:05 PM

that's exactly what I did with my frankencar on my '95 back in the day...after I read this thread, pulled the frankencar midpipe off and put the stock resonator on...it was a lot quieter which was nice not attracting as much cop attention...and the low end was a lot better! as well as the throttle response...plus I kept my apexi dry filter on which is all the max needs anyway, a bigger, better flowing filter anyway...
Old 08-14-2005, 08:40 PM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by SiCkBLaCKMaX99
how about i just take out my frankencar midpipe put in stock midpipe and use the apex'i adapter that came with my frankentake with apex'i filter.
How will that responds??
and how will it souns??
can the ram air thing be connected to that setup because i think that is what makes the stock airbox so much more responsive.

Exact same setup I have now. Got rid of the Farkencar midpipe, stuck the stock resonator back on, and attached the Apexi filter to the MAF sensor. Best setup so far. I could tell with the stock box, the engine was having a hard time getting air at the higher rpms. I also left the bottom part of the box and the snorkel attached. The bottom will hold your Apexi filter perfectly and the snorkel MIGHT be another source for cold air as you drive.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:19 PM

Sorry to dig up an old Topic, but I cant post new ones and this one seems like a good place to ask this.
Anyone seen this before:
"RTEC LLC is pleased to introduce the world's first and only In-Line Air Filter. The patent-pending In-Line Air Filter (ILAF) can be incorporated into any air intake system, as long as there is an intake pipe available for incorporating the ILAF. The ILAF sits between the primary air filter and the throttle body, along the tract of the air intake system. The ILAF is not intended as a replacement for the primary air filter, but instead should be used in addition to such. The ILAF is engineered to improve the performance of your air intake system by effectively and efficiently controlling incoming air at different rpm ranges, thus optimizing the overall performance of your intake system. The ILAF is designed to take in large volumes of air with a sudden thrust of the gas pedal, and will safely level off and switch to your primary air filter as you coast on the highway. This translates to more power when you need it and less when you don't. The ILAF features a solid chrome-plated aluminum body, stainless steel filter screen and an inner Second-Stage filter element. The solid aluminum structure enables it to endure the abuse of your engine compartment. Features include:- Patent-pending design- Solid chrome-plated aluminum body- Optimizes air mixture for maximum performance- Available in multiple pipe sizesIn-Line Air Filter specifications:Weight: 1.2 lb.Dimensions:- Overall Length: 3.5 in.- Overall Diameter: 5.5 in.- Pipe Diameters: 3.0, 2.75 or 2.5 in.Housing material: Chrome-plated cast aluminumPrimary filter screen material: Stainless steel 304Second-stage filter material: Reticulated PolyurethaneInner support clip material: PolypropyleneAdapter material: Soft rubberFasteners: Stainless steelPipe clamps: Stainless steel"

As far as I can tell its the same as a bypass filter thing like AEM makes, except now its claiming to make power. Thought I'd ask here since some people earlier had the theory that the Resonator "stores" extra air for sudden acceleration or something like that... Anyone think this could help or just crap?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Murdoc
Sorry to dig up an old Topic, but I cant post new ones and this one seems like a good place to ask this...Thought I'd ask here since some people earlier had the theory that the Resonator "stores" extra air for sudden acceleration or something like that... Anyone think this could help or just crap?
If you're referring to the "black box" that is attached by a short elbow pipe to the mid-part of a stock air intake, then, yeah, it's crap. The purpose of that air intake resonator is to muffle sound, and it hinders power rather than adding to it.

End of story.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
If you're referring to the "black box" that is attached by a short elbow pipe to the mid-part of a stock air intake, then, yeah, it's crap. The purpose of that air intake resonator is to muffle sound, and it hinders power rather than adding to it.
. . . . . Thanks for bumping an 18 month old thread too.
Apparently you didn't read the first post in this thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...75&postcount=1
Old 06-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
. . . . . Thanks for bumping an 18 month old thread too.
Apparently you didn't read the first post in this thread
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...75&postcount=1
better than you bumping 18 year olds.. lolz
Old 06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Apparition
better than you bumping 18 year olds.. lolz
ive been here 6 years longer than you but have less posts wonder why????
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by krismax
ive been here 6 years longer than you but have less posts wonder why????
I enjoy the OT. Btw, how did my sexual inuendo directed towards manny involve post count? Am I missing something here?..lol

Plus, I've been browsing the forums since 2003.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:11 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Apparition
I enjoy the OT.
IBthosepostsdontcount