4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

post your y-pipe and thoughts on it... for once!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 09:18 PM

post your y-pipe and thoughts on it... for once!

yes, any idiot besides the ones that don't can go to maxmods, find the cheapest price, read about the different materials, and bends.

but they will not be able to find a good source of different opinions on y-pipes...

there is a lot of different situations that people encounter with the same company, and i'd, as well a lot of others, would enjoy reading what other people have to say about their y-pipe...

id like to know this stuff on different y-pipes, because now, there is just a few instances of bad situations on the org and im kind of neutral about the situation...

please educate me, and others, on your opinions by posting your y-pipe brand, material, bend type, price payed, source of transaction, how long you've had it, is it raspy? are there bees? rust? quality or fitment issues???

if you don't care about this thread, or you think it is a waste, pass it on by next time... i felt this to be a good way to cut down on repititive questions about y-pipes asked daily...
Old 12-13-2004, 09:25 PM
What was that?

Budget SS, mandrel bent Y-pipe with 30k miles on it. Gave me good gains in power. No bees in can noise. Sounds great with my exhaust setup. No problems with the install.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Budget y-pipe costs $250 CAD (about $205 right now 12/14/04). Fits perfectly, and now for that same price you get a polished SS pipe. You could save $50 CAD and buy aluminized, but SS is really worth the extra money. Oh BTW no noises, no problems, whatsoever. Very satisfied customer with their y-pipe. B-pipe is a different story.
-Cyrus
Old 12-13-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vyrus
Budget y-pipe costs $250 CAD (about $205 right now 12/14/04). Fits perfectly, and now for that same price you get a polished SS pipe. You could save $50 CAD and buy aluminized, but SS is really worth the extra money. Oh BTW no noises, no problems, whatsoever. Very satisfied customer with their y-pipe. B-pipe is a different story.
-Cyrus
how long have you had it?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:28 PM
What was that?

..... B-pipe is a different story.
-Cyrus
What was wrong with the B- pipe. I know mine was a little too long.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:31 PM

I've had my y-pipe for about 10k miles. It's not rusting and looks fine, but then again I don't drive in snow.

The b-pipe had numerous fitment problems. Leaks form the flanges, hung too low, wrong angle on welded flanges. Ended up scrapping the flanges and welding it together. However I've heard/seen that all aftermarket exhausts for our cars may have problems.
-Cyrus
Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 PM
What was that?

I've had my y-pipe for about 10k miles. It's not rusting and looks fine, but then again I don't drive in snow.

The b-pipe had numerous fitment problems. Leaks form the flanges, hung too low, wrong angle on welded flanges. Ended up scrapping the flanges and welding it together. However I've heard/seen that all aftermarket exhausts for our cars may have problems.
-Cyrus
Yeah, I think it sits too low because of the diameter of it. My mechanic did a really good job installing it with my Flowmaster muffler.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:46 PM

well i feel good reading the previous budget/lss reviews, but dont stop them now... some of you all may of experienced really bad problems with your y-pipe.

right now, im leaning towards LSS SS... keep it up!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Warpspeed alumnized steel on for about 15K. Installed it with a high flow cat (worthless) and GReddy SP2 catback. No bees in a can, no clanging against the crossmember, no complaints. Great power gains in the higher RPMs and well worth the $160 I paid.

~THT
Old 12-13-2004, 09:56 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

the gains are not as big as they seem. I mean it does make a good differance, but the hype about it is not as big as everyone says. Ihgave a ss warpspeed mandrel bent, and i encountered tons of rattling.

when i was putting in my STS i knocked the hell out of it and the cat trying o get it off, and the noise has stopped 100%. I guess just amke sure you mountit good, and sucure it and youshould be fine. It is well worth the money, but do not expect to go 2f2f style!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:47 PM
nycmaximas member

* Custommaxima Y-Pipe (Custom Enterprise)
* Stainless Steel
* Mandrel Bent
* $350 Package Y-pipe and High Flow Cat
* Source of transaction???
* Not raspy, No bees, Fitment was perfect... Accually the Y-pipe doesnt hang too low. Ive heard that some Y-pipes hand below the metal support thats under the engine. (thick steel beam that I guess protects the engine???) That low pipe that some have usually have dings or dents on it. The Custommaxima Y-pipe is tucked up and away from any harm. Not too sure on HP gains since I never dynoed myself, but the website has some dynos. I just butt dynoed it and I feel some gains or else its just in my mind. Rust issues are irrevalent since I just got it (1000 miles). I have a SP2 Greedy Catback. She sounds sweet
Old 12-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Schnell kaputt

All these threads you've been making I thought you already had a y-pipe but ended up with a bad one...errr

Budget SS. Fit is perfect. No noise. The first ~300 miles after the install I drove the thing hard as hell. Mostly highspeed highway and bursts. Nothing rattled, hissed, clanked, etc.

If anything, the y-pipe now has gotten completely silent, nearly OEM. Fully warmed up, the exhaust is nearly identical to stock unless you stand by the muffler. Otherwise throaty..

Just get past that anxiety and break out the wallet, or you can pay me, I'll send you mine and I'll go buy another one for myself
Old 12-14-2004, 01:17 AM
will fly for food

Warpspeed SS.... $160 shipped from group deal a while back.... quality of pipe is excellent and the pipe maybe has 1 or 2 bees in the can, not an entire swarm... i highly recommend WSP...
Old 12-14-2004, 04:39 AM
faster than you think

stone racing y-pipe really gained the power but bees in the can noise... it was cheap. but what they say "you get what you pay for" learned the lesson never buy cheap products. im taking it out and puttin the stock pipe back on.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:08 AM
Jedi Knight

STOCK....and I love it...I've got a Greddy SP1 catback and love my exhaust and will not be putting on an aftermarket Y pipe, cause then I'll get all the droning in the world, and it will sound like ISH!...I currently love the sound...sounds like a bimmer and defiantely see/feel the gains with the catback
Old 12-14-2004, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by BORQUA79
* Custommaxima Y-Pipe (Custom Enterprise)
* Stainless Steel
* Mandrel Bent
* $350 Package Y-pipe and High Flow Cat
* Source of transaction???
* Not raspy, No bees, Fitment was perfect... Accually the Y-pipe doesnt hang too low. Ive heard that some Y-pipes hand below the metal support thats under the engine. (thick steel beam that I guess protects the engine???) That low pipe that some have usually have dings or dents on it. The Custommaxima Y-pipe is tucked up and away from any harm. Not too sure on HP gains since I never dynoed myself, but the website has some dynos. I just butt dynoed it and I feel some gains or else its just in my mind. Rust issues are irrevalent since I just got it (1000 miles). I have a SP2 Greedy Catback. She sounds sweet

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:18 AM

Stillen y-pipe. Paid $275 (w/ shipping). No bees in the can. Gives out a good deep tone. Rides smooth and no fitment issues. Definitely a good mod investment.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 AM

I have a Budget aluminized. I've had it for about 2 years now. We get alot of snow around here and I haven't had one problem. It still looks new. When it was shipped to me, it had some black paint on it that burned off on the way home from the shop. It doesn't have a bees in a can noise, but more like a turbo-sounding hiss at high rpm. When I first installed it, I felt no gain in power, but now the car seems to breathe freely at higher rpm and top end runs.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I have a budget pipe with the stock cat back and have no complaints. It does make noise. It's like a slight whooshing sounds, definitely not intrusive.

I bought my pipe used from another ORG member. The shop that removed it from his car cut it off before the rear flange (no I have no idea why). So I had to get a local place weld on a bit of tubing and a flange. It looks like this:
Old 12-14-2004, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by NightRider
I have a Budget aluminized. I've had it for about 2 years now. We get alot of snow around here and I haven't had one problem. It still looks new. When it was shipped to me, it had some black paint on it that burned off on the way home from the shop. It doesn't have a bees in a can noise, but more like a turbo-sounding hiss at high rpm. When I first installed it, I felt no gain in power, but now the car seems to breathe freely at higher rpm and top end runs.
so is this "turbo-sounding hiss" is from the aluminized steel right? SS for a bit more money could tone it down?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jdm71488
so is this "turbo-sounding hiss" is from the aluminized steel right? SS for a bit more money could tone it down?
I have the budget ss as well and it hisses slightly as you accelerate at WOT. It is more like a swooshing sound as stated earlier. It is so quiet even with a custom catback with 5th gen muffler that you can hear the exhaust gases flowing by. I love it.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:37 AM

hows the Budget gonna sound with a Greddy SP catback?

Ant
Old 12-14-2004, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ny96max
hows the Budget gonna sound with a Greddy SP catback?

Ant
Somewaht loud...

I have a cattman y pipe, stock cat and SP1. From 2k to about 3k there is drone.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:08 PM

*Warpspeed SS Y-Pipe
I bought mine from a fellow org member who bought a fed spec but he has a cali spec car. The pipe fits fine but it made the B pipe hit the crossmember. REALLY annoying and embarrasing with my friends in the car. It was seriously so bad that it made the console shake a little bit. Anyways I took the crossmember off and everything is fine and I have a nice deep tone and I love it. I'm thinking that if i put on a new rubber hanger then I can put my crossmember back on, the hanger looks a little old and stretched so I will try that in the next couple of weeks, just need to find where I can buy one. Also, when I am excelerating hard I get a metallic sound that comes from the Y, hopefully someone knows what im talking about. All in all im happy with my buy, the power gains make up for all the noise.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:13 PM

[Originally posted on www.torontomaxima.com]

Hello,

For those who are interested, I thought I would provide my insights on modifications I just completed to my 1996 Maxima SE Auto. Please note, this is the first real modification I've made to my car and hence, these comments are from someone who's a novice.

As indicated, on Monday I had the Stillen intake, Stillen Y-pipe and Stillen Cat-back system installed. I've read a fair bit on the forums that this system is very loud and annoying. Sound is very subjective and personally, I find the system sounds absolutely great when at idle and when accelerating aggressively. The only time I find the sound a bit too loud for my taste is when I’m accelerating gently at 1800 RPM to around 2300 RPM. Unfortunately, that's where most of my city driving is probably done. Since it's only been a couple of days, I'll have to see how annoying this gets. Luckily, it's a quick fix by just accelerate quickly through to over 2500RPM.

On the way to Toronto the other night, I noticed that my car has more than ample power in the mid to high-end range. I easily got up to 190km without any hesitation. Not that I do this often but it was late and there was very little or no traffic on certain sections of the highway (and I was overly-eager to test out this system). However, because of the improved flow, I've lost all my backpressure and hence it feels like I've lost a bit of low-end torque. When accelerating quickly, my car used to almost jump when I hammered the gas. Now it's more of a linear acceleration. I don't really like that, because I liked the feeling of instant boost but I understand that the only way to get it back is if I put back my original Y-pipe and hence put back the backpressure caused by the two primary cat's. I don't really want to do this and I'll have to see if there's another alternative - I now wish I had the stick as opposed to an automatic -- as this would have been a non-issue.

Overall, I’m really happy with the entire system. It looked great (i.e. is of high quality), apparently it fit really well (i.e. without any complications) and I’ve already had several compliments on the sound (again, I personally only find it a bit too loud when gently accelerating in and around 2000 RPM).

These modifications were made because I had to replace the stock cat-back system anyway and the Y-Pipe wasn’t going to last much longer. And the Nissan dealerships convinced me that Stillen was the way to go.

Anyway, it’s still early and so far I’m pretty happy. As for what’s next, I was part of the Group Deal for Tokico Illumina’s on Maxima.org and that’s the next modification to be made (currently on H&R springs and stock shocks/struts).

Any comments with my set-up and/or suggestions on issues I’m facing are appreciated [please just PM me].

Cost: refer to www.Stillen.com
Old 12-14-2004, 12:18 PM

I have a warpspeed and the fitment sucks, its bangin against something and it rattles in first gear at about 4000- redline. Tried bracing to where the stock y is bolted on but it still rattles. mechanic can't figure it out either. probably going to get something different if i can't stop the rattle.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Back from the dead

stillen site says y pipe is for off road use only, does it really matter? just one of those things i havent paid attention to for 2 years
Old 12-14-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RockfordMax
stillen site says y pipe is for off road use only, does it really matter? just one of those things i havent paid attention to for 2 years
All of the y-pipes say for off road use only.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Its from the unlined flex section. You'll have to ask for a lined flex section to tone it down. Its not an offensive noise at all. It just reminds you that its not stock. During normal driving you won't hear it. You'll only hear it around 4500 to 5000 rpm and up.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by NightRider
Its from the unlined flex section. You'll have to ask for a lined flex section to tone it down. Its not an offensive noise at all. It just reminds you that its not stock. During normal driving you won't hear it. You'll only hear it around 4500 to 5000 rpm and up.
do they default to unlined sections? or are they more costly or what? i thought a manufacturer only had one type... i didn't know you could pick...
Old 12-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Maxima Owner

bought my cattman this summer used from fellow memeber....sounds great no issues on install and flex section still perfect even in Buffalo....sounds great with uresonated...hiflow cat apexi mufffler combo
Old 12-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Back from the dead

possibly a sticky? seeing as how this is one of the most common mods( at least thats what i understand...)
Old 12-15-2004, 06:16 PM

so far...

cattman = excellent but pricey
lss = good quality for money
wsp = bees in the can, fitment issues
stone racing = crap
custom max = good for the money, but rather new
Old 12-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Back from the dead

cattman = excellent but pricey
lss = good quality for money
wsp = bees in the can, fitment issues
stone racing = crap
custom max = good for the money, but rather new
stock = crap
Old 12-15-2004, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by RockfordMax
stock = crap
Because Certified Engineers designed it?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 PM

do they default to unlined sections? or are they more costly or what? i thought a manufacturer only had one type... i didn't know you could pick...

Budget uses unlined flex sections by default. I guess its cheaper for them and you. Since they are a muffler shop, they should be able to get a lined flex section by request at an extra charge. You may have to ask them though as I am not a representative of their company.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:28 AM

so its typically the un-lined that result in future bees swarming around? or will they both eventually start that?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Schnell kaputt

The bees come from the flex either getting damaged while it's on (IE: smoking a curb) or was already damaged to begin with (IE: product flaw.) They don't just start going without reason.

There will definitely be a noticeable increase in noise (for the discernable) but 95% of the time it won't be bees. Most of the time, the noises after the install will go away for the most part.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:41 AM

Cattman y back to the stillen muffler. Cattman has great customer service. They even called to tell me my random cat would be a week late. The quality is perfect and I have not had a issue yet. Right now I am n/a and don't hear any bees. Everything fits perfect and im going into 45k miles. The stillen muffler has 98k miles on it. It has been around since the begining. With FI I will probably go for the headers when I can waste that much $ .
Old 12-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I Have Had A Warpspeed Y-pipe For Almost 2yrs. Never Had A Fitment Issue. Never Had "bees In Can". Still Looks Like The Day I Installed It. Payed Around 250 Or So. 2.5 Inch Outlet. I Wouldnt Ever Buy From Anyone Else.

Quick Reply: post your y-pipe and thoughts on it... for once!