4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what to do

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 07:46 PM

what to do

Im 16 and ive got a 1995 maxima. so far ive gotten intake and new shocks. i want to get a rear sway bar because when i get to high speeds the rear starts to break loose. the only one ive found for a reasonable price is the Progress rear sway bar. what other options are there?
also, how can i get my parents to let me get more mods?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:57 PM

How about get a job and pay for them yourself?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:00 PM

my parents are the same way. i just had to buy all of the s*** my self
Old 12-14-2004, 08:05 PM

yea if its your money -u can do w/e u want with it -im only 17 and have spent atleast 6 or 7 grand on my car so far with some repairs and a bunch of mods-i work 2 jobs and my parents dont say shyt cus they cant -i earned it
Old 12-14-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by OkoYoko123
Im 16 and ive got a 1995 maxima.
Congratulations, welcome to the org.

so far ive gotten intake and new shocks. i want to get a rear sway bar because when i get to high speeds the rear starts to break loose.
What do you mean by "break loose" at high speeds ? A sway bar is to minimize body roll on turns at any speed. A sway bar, I've noticed, makes the Maxima a bit tail happy and the rear end will have a tendency to break loose more so with a sway bar than without one when you push the car hard in the turns.

the only one ive found for a reasonable price is the Progress rear sway bar. what other options are there?
I have the Progress and am very happy with it. I had to re-learn to drive the car but it's a definite improvement. Stillen also makes one if you want other options but the Progress is more than enough.

Umm, most of us here don't rely on parents for stuff anymore. I guess it all depends on your creativity with words and your parents. "It doesn't make the car go faster, it saves gas." "It doesn't help me race, it helps the car be more stable and safer in turns."
Old 12-14-2004, 08:26 PM

the guy knos wut hes talking about
Old 12-14-2004, 08:55 PM

This is sad
Old 12-15-2004, 03:05 AM

Sorry to say, but at the age of 16, I would think you need to learn to control the car stock at lower speeds, then work your way up from there. Adding a RSB definitely adds oversteer, and at your age you just don't have the experience to start flinging a strange handling car around at speed. Master the basics before you even think about attempting high speed manuevers. I've scraped up too many teenagers off the streets who couldn't control a slow, stock car. Adding performance mods to a teenage (read inexperienced) driver's car is a recipe for disaster. And a lot of times it isn't the teen that is hurt the worst, but his friends riding with him or other innocent motorists.
You may also want to get a job so you can pay for the mods yourself instead of mooching off Mommy and Daddy. Hate to sound my age, but young people who are just given things they want usually grow up to be adults who think they deserve everything for nothing and have no real work ethic. If you pay for the mods yourself, they will mean much more to you, and you'll learn the value of work and money. You'll also take much better care of something you worked hard for. I'd suggest saving money to attend a professional driving school before you add any mods to your car. You'd be surprised how a trained, experienced driver can take a slower car and out drive an inexperienced, untrained driver in a full-fledged sports car. And the trained driver does it much safer, too. When I mention a professional driving school, I'm talking something like Skip Barber's or the National Academy of Professional Driver's course offerings (I did Tactical Police Driving). High school driver's ed is not a professional driver's course, and doesn't come close to teaching you necessary skills to control a car at any high speeds or in an emergency. After you've mastered those skills, get whatever mods you want and practice with them to learn their feel. then have fun (but legally).
Having said all that, for all the other teens out there, if the shoe doesn't fit, don't sweat it.
As for RSB, I have the Progress bar, and like it. It adds oversteer, but I've been driving rear-wheel drive cars (read oversteer) longer than a lot here have been alive. People say the Addco is adjustable and the Progress is not, but to adjust the Progress all you do is move the mounting point on the trailing arms (same as the Addco I believe). I have mine adjusted farthest from the rear beam so I get less oversteer. This, along with my FSTB and RSTB make the car about as neutral as I can get it without re-doing my whole suspension. And with the road conditions where I live, lowering my car is not an option.

Sorry for the rant, but I think what I wrote is very sound advice if you want to stay alive and un-injured. If it offends some of the younger crowd, so be it. Hope I don't scrape you off the concrete someday.

Dave
Old 12-15-2004, 04:58 AM

This is kind of embarrassing to read...if you ask for money from your parents, especially for mods, you really don't deserve to drive ANY car. Learn responsibility, and pull your own weight. I'm sick of getting a bad rep on this forum because people my age can't be mature.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:38 AM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by rsly33
How about get a job and pay for them yourself?
hahaha
Old 12-15-2004, 05:41 AM
Team Ramrod

Im 16 and ive got a 1995 maxima. so far ive gotten intake and new shocks. i want to get a rear sway bar because when i get to high speeds the rear starts to break loose. the only one ive found for a reasonable price is the Progress rear sway bar. what other options are there?
way to sound like a little kid man, im only a year older than you but sorry to say, u make young people these days look bad based on wat yur sayin
Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 AM

i pay for it myself. i just dont have any way to get the stuff. i cant order it myself or ne thing. thanks for bein jerks tho.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:02 AM

o and i do have a job. i never said they were gonna pay for it.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:37 AM
What was that?

Don't get mad. We are all jerks on here. I know what you mean cause most things require credit cards to purchase. You're just going to have to use your words carefully when you ask your parents. Try including your parents in the modding. ie. having your father/mother help you install the mods and let them drive it afterwards. They'de probably appreciate it more. And the most important thing here is to stay safe.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 AM

i tried not to get mad. it just angered me cause i never said they were payin for it.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:56 AM

BTW a rear sway bar will not prevent your rear end from "breaking loose" at high speeds. The effect you are experiencing has to do with the poor aerodynamic styling of the Maxima. To solve this problem, get an OEM spoiler or lower the car (Bernoulli's Law of Physics) with some springs. The car will be more stable at higher speeds after that. Do it right though and DO NOT cut corners.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:59 AM
I need a truck

Tell them it'll reduce body roll and it's safer. But I would try to drive with a little bit more control.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 AM

i cant lower it. the roads i drive on arent smooth enough, there are too many pot holes I'd hit everywhere.

I do drive saftly, its just at the times i do drive alittle more wild it starts to break loose.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 AM

Get about 10 more years driving experience, go to Driving school, and if you live long enough to get a decent job pay for it all yourself.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=I do drive saftly, its just at the times i do drive alittle more wild it starts to break loose.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to say i do my fair share of driving wild. But my rear end has never broke loose.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:54 AM
I need a truck

I do drive saftly, its just at the times i do drive alittle more wild it starts to break loose.
You need to learn to keep it under control or else you're going to wind up without a maxima because you totalled it.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by NightRider
BTW a rear sway bar will not prevent your rear end from "breaking loose" at high speeds. The effect you are experiencing has to do with the poor aerodynamic styling of the Maxima. To solve this problem, get an OEM spoiler or lower the car (Bernoulli's Law of Physics) with some springs. The car will be more stable at higher speeds after that. Do it right though and DO NOT cut corners.

OEM spoiler ?

It's there for looks. It doesn't produce any downforce or any other aerodynamic effect.

It looks nice but it won't stablize the car in any way.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Boosted Panda

maybe some new tires?
Old 12-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Go Hokies!!

Just turned 18.. all my mods were paid for by me (car also) from my hard earned money.. I wouldn't even think about asking parents for money for mods to my car. My parents don't even really know how much cash I've put in, if they knew, I'm sure they'd be dissapointed, oh well.

I've practically emptied out my bank account on my car, but it's all for the fun. Right now, there's really not much else to spend my money on (besides going out, etc.).

I got most of the basics done to my car, just need to think about getting an intake (with stock muffler?), and rims in the future (when I have more cash ready to put in the car).

Dan
Old 12-15-2004, 03:22 PM

I Didnt Ask My Parents For Money Did You Not Read That. Im Not A Moocher, Ive Got A Job So Stop Posting About It
Old 12-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

why dont you replace the struts they might be bad and thats why you break loose
Old 12-15-2004, 03:41 PM

i replaced them before. might invest in some new ones though, it has been a while.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:48 PM

LoL, damn I feel bad for this kid. I was reading it too and lughing like damn this kid is sad and agreeing with everyone, but then after he replied I re-read it and was just...Wow. LMAO you people ripped him for no reason. Oh, well you got some good info from these guys here.

Just be creative and slick, like you do with women.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:50 PM

yeah, ive gotten some good ideas. ill just have to see what works i supose.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:07 PM
wants the ads to die

Well, since you say you have a job, and pay for all of it, save up and go to a professional driving school (Skip Barber, etc) and that will make them more accepting that you know how to handle your car better than most drivers in those situations after taking the course. If they throw the statement that non-standard parts weren't meant to be there and might possibly break something, tell them that you'll pay for it if you break it. It will show some maturity on your behalf at least.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Team Ramrod

i pay for it myself. i just dont have any way to get the stuff. i cant order it myself or ne thing. thanks for bein jerks tho.
"also, how can i get my parents to let me get more mods?" ... did u meant allowing u to have mods? or have them buy it yourself? sorry man i misunderstood
Old 12-15-2004, 05:12 PM

i mean allowing me to have mods.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Team Ramrod

well if thats the case, just lie to them hopefully they dont know much about cars, u can just tell them that a part needs to be replaced... for example, if your flex pipe or somethin is going, just tell them yur getting a new y-pipe and replace the entire thing with a performance y-pipe or something...
Old 12-15-2004, 05:17 PM

Save your money and buy your g/f some dinner.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:19 PM

[/QUOTE]well if thats the case, just lie to them hopefully they dont know much about cars[QUOTE]
unfortunately, my dad used to be a mechanic. he knows too much about cars to try and pull that, ive tried before..

i would buy my gf stuff but im single right now, too young to be in relationships.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by Ant96GLE
Save your money and buy your g/f some dinner.
hahaha why not have the best of both worlds
Old 12-15-2004, 05:29 PM

how did i miss this one? let's begin...

i've been posting on car forums since i was like 10, 11... dreaming about mods, and driving... and i've heard it over and over, and really have grown up more than i thought i could in the time since... but you may get something out of this even though it is not what you asked for...

how's it goin man? it's good that you work for your mods (i work for $5.4/hr i know it's hard)... nice car btw...

i honestly don't think you need "driving school"... as suggested earlier, but whatever you do please make sure you are always paying attention...

any mod you add, whether it be making you faster or safer has little to do with the outcome of the situation... you control what you do...

you can have the fastest and unsafest car in the world, and as long as you are aware and "mature" about what you have earned and the situation you are in, you are respected by others more than you think...

you hear it from your parents all the time i'm sure... but if you tell them, an intake, turbo, nitrous, or any other mod will not alter the way you handle situations, or how you take precautions then i think you will be set... especially if you are paying...

take care...
Old 12-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Team Ramrod

hmm... well just tell him that u want to add some aftermarket parts to your car then, and if they dont let u... then 18 is only 2 years away lol my parents r the same way to some extent, theyll let me do some stuff but not whatever i want, but i turn 18 in 5 months anyway so no biggie
Old 12-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Team Ramrod

i agree with jdm71488, u dont need driving school... you'll only get better the more u drive, just dont do stupid **** ya kno. us young orgers gotta stick together
Old 12-15-2004, 05:34 PM

i would buy my gf stuff but im single right now, too young to be in relationships.
in your eyes maybe... ive been with my girl for just about 2 years straight and i just got back from taking her to a park and sitting to watch the water...

you don't have to think of a relationship as some sort of forever bond... if you like hanging out and the personality of someone then hang on to it... i can't say if i will be with her a month from now, but i'm still in it because we have yet to grow tired of each other and have grown so close that it's like we are dating, but best friends as well...

you don't always have to spend money...