4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any Info on PowerLock Anti-Theft Device?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:38 AM

Any Info on PowerLock Anti-Theft Device?

I've had 2 break-ins & 1 stolen in the last 1.5 years, and fear the Max may get stolen as well. I wish to know if anyone has heard of, or knows anything about a starter disabler known as, PowerLock?

www.powerlock.com

From all of the online reviews and forums, it seems this is by far the most effective way to combat would-be thieves in their quest to hotwire, and steal your car.

Unlike other systems, the Powerlock is attached to the starter solenoid itself, rather than wired. I suppose the point is, no matter what a thief does, he will not be able to engage the starter. Even with power distributed directly to the starter, it will not engage, period.

According to the reviews, the only way they can get it w/ powerlock is to tow it, or spend a lengthy amount of time changing the starter.

Any ideas, feedback, etc.?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:46 AM

I'm not familar with the product but why not just wire a kill switch to the fuel pump relay and then hide the switch? It will give the same results as the "powerlock" and will cost next to nothing. Basically a toggle switch and some wire. The choice is yours.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 AM

Yeah, seriously, like meanbean said,

Just wire in a toggle switch to kill your fuel pump and hide it somewhere or a toggle switch to kill your starter or both.

Same effect... much less cost.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:57 PM

If you do decide to go w/ the kill switch then make sure that you place it where you can access it without any noticeable/overt body moment. You don't want anyone who is watching you, in order to target your car, to be tipped off that you have a kill switch. In addition, the switch should not be visible while sitting from either the driver or passenger sides. Once you have decided on a place, you can test its placement by having a trusted friend try to find it within 2-3 minutes. Your normal auto thief should call it quits within that time frame. Remember, the kill switch's overall effectiveness will be dependant upon its secrecy so don't go telling anyone you have one.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by meanbean
If you do decide to go w/ the kill switch then make sure that you place it where you can access it without any noticeable/overt body moment. You don't want anyone who is watching you, in order to target your car, to be tipped off that you have a kill switch. In addition, the switch should not be visible while sitting from either the driver or passenger sides. Once you have decided on a place, you can test its placement by having a trusted friend try to find it within 2-3 minutes. Your normal auto thief should call it quits within that time frame. Remember, the kill switch's overall effectiveness will be dependant upon its secrecy so don't go telling anyone you have one.

Excellent advice meanbean.

In my Trans Am I had two kill switches... sort of. One under the seat, readily findable that would make the car horn honk scaring anyone not expecting that to happen.

And then the real one tucked away nicely.