4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hub question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hub question

Kind of a stupid question, but I noticed today I have 2 lugs broken off my drivers side front wheel. (damn tire shop!) Can I replace the lugs individually, or do I need to replace the whole hub? It's way too cold to go out and take the wheel and stuff off today, so I thought I'd just ask you guys. Thanks
Old 12-18-2004, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jpm_22_80
Kind of a stupid question, but I noticed today I have 2 lugs broken off my drivers side front wheel. (damn tire shop!) Can I replace the lugs individually, or do I need to replace the whole hub? It's way too cold to go out and take the wheel and stuff off today, so I thought I'd just ask you guys. Thanks
you can replace them individually. but you will need air tools.

go to the parts store (Autozone) and buy 3 wheel studs and 3 flat washers and 3 lugnuts with a flat back end. (oem style lugnuts that are used with the steel wheels)

remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper and caliper bracket. next slide the brake rotor of the car. now that the bare hub is in front of you all you have to do is use a hammer (good size) and knock out the bad wheel studs

next postition the new stud into the wheel hub. hold it in place with your finger. then put the 3 washers on the stud and nest put on an OEM steel wheel lugnut, backwards. (flat side to the car) tighten it down as much as you can by hand. then put the air gun onto lugnut and tighten it, as you tighten the lugnut it will pull the wheel stud into the hub.

repeat for the other stud, then reinstall the brake rotor, caliper bracket, and caliper. put the wheel back on and torque the lugnuts to spec. drive the car for 20 miles and retorque again.