4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Write up on how to do PROJECTORS.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:53 PM

Write up on how to do PROJECTORS.

ok seems to me like alot of people are interested in knowing how to do this.
imma do my best to explain it and all thoes people who have experience can throw in some of their own explanations.

stuff u need--
~Projectors.....u can get them from ebay for like 100 to 170 for good ones,
~headlight bulbs....depends on what bulb holder u have, i had H7 with no high beams so i only had to wire up 2 wires only but regulars are 3 wires.
~bolts and nuts........for mounting or u can use some good glue like epoxi but then u wouldn't be able to adjust them if u have to.
~razor blades..............so u can cut out all the unnecessary plastics on the back like i had to do on my cefiros so the bolts would go through
~electrical tape
~tools................screw drivers and some simple tools that im pretty sure most of u have
~black paint..................if u would like to black them out

1- Take off the headlights - on the stock headlights u would have to pop out the corners by the headlight (stick a screwdriver in between and pry them apart) then u would have 2 bolts on the side of the headlight and 2 on the back that are holding them in. For cefiros there would be 2 bolts on the back and how ever esle u mounted them on, u used zip ties to keep them in including the 2 bolts. Then all u have to do is uplug them and they are out!

2- Taking them apart - the most successful way of doing this, is stick them in the oven for 15 to 20 min at 225 and then just pry them apart.

3- test fit the projectors in and align them the way u want them to see where u would have to drill the holes for the projectors to be held in place.

4- once u have marked the holes for the projectors u can go ahead and drill them out. In some cases like on the back of the cefiros there is a plastic housing that would get in the way of the bolts. so u would have to cut into that also just so u can get nuts on there to hold them tight in place. On the stock headlights i don't think u will have this problem.

5- Wiring - there might be a couple of different step on wiring depending on what kind of bulb u have. all i know is for H7 u only use 2 wires on the harness and its black and white the blue is not used cause its high beam and H7 don't have high beams, i can get some more instructions for the other bulbs but not at this time. Just use common sence when u wire and refer to ur old plug/harness and ur new plug harness.

6- Before u put them back together u might wanna take it out and point the headlights at the wall just so u know u have them aligned the way u want them and just so they are not shooting up in the sky and blinding other drivers.

7- now that u get everything the way u want them, u can paint them. I painted them before i mounted the projectors in just so i didn't have to take them apart again which would just take too much time.

8- now ur ready to put them back together. The way i did this is i put them together the best i could with out any pressure and stuck them back in the oven using the steps above.....225 for 15 to 20 min...... Then once u take them out of the oven then u can apply a little pressure on them to make them seal right and put the clamps back on and what u can do after that is stick them back in just so they get a good seal.

Put them back on plug them in and ur set to go.

If anyone has any questions feel free to drop me a line, im on the net when im at work which is everyday.

u can get a hold of me on AIM ..... maxima98vspec
msn........ maxima98vspec@hotmail.com
or my other email............... maxima98vspec@gmail.com

and if anyone else would like to add something or change something things around thats fine. please do, because im sure there are somethings that could be easier done than what i did.

thank you and good luck

~~Dinko (maxima98vspec)

EDIT i will get some more close up pix and post them up tonight.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice job any pictures?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by zack342
nice job any pictures?

i should have some by tonight so check back later tonight or tomorrow
Old 12-23-2004, 03:41 PM

ok. i'll wait i want to see.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:53 PM
brotherhood of tq

hey thanx for the instructions. some one should make this into a sticky or something
Old 12-23-2004, 03:54 PM

good write up, dont plan on doing projectors soon but good to have stored on the HD for later when I decide to.

Pics would be alovely also.

thanks for the write up.

this should be made into a sticky with few links on where to get bulbs, and pics of wiring.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Back from the dead

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
hey thanx for the instructions. some one should make this into a sticky or something
10char
Old 12-23-2004, 06:10 PM

I just retroed BMW E46 projectors with HID's. Mounting the ballast and making the wiring harness with a bear. Great write-up on the projectors, just wanted to add that painting the inside of the housing black is a nice touch. Anyone interested on a write-up on a wiring harness and mounting ballast for HID's???
Old 12-23-2004, 08:01 PM
is craving Bojangles

Originally Posted by bravehart
I just retroed BMW E46 projectors with HID's. Mounting the ballast and making the wiring harness with a bear. Great write-up on the projectors, just wanted to add that painting the inside of the housing black is a nice touch. Anyone interested on a write-up on a wiring harness and mounting ballast for HID's???
yeah go for it, we should just add that in with this how to. oh and how do you like your e46s? my friend just put them in his s-10 pickup. he went crazy with them though and had to make a whole new housing with plexi and everything, but the final product looks amazing.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:03 PM

i do like the look of the chrome ones that were on here... this will probably be a summer project. thanks for the write-up, but let's see some pics already!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:11 PM

Good write-up but could be more detailed and with pics. For those who want a write-up with pics, check this link: DIY retrofit
Old 12-23-2004, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by max prodigy
yeah go for it, we should just add that in with this how to. oh and how do you like your e46s? my friend just put them in his s-10 pickup. he went crazy with them though and had to make a whole new housing with plexi and everything, but the final product looks amazing.
To describe it one word, AMAZING. I actually prefer to drive my car at night now.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:47 PM

dam those projectors cost some money. would the junkyard have it cheaper?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:05 PM
be the change u want2C

sticky this, I smell sticky. there should be A stiky for write ups