4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ELECTRICAL car issues....major assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Sports Button FTW

ELECTRICAL car issues....major assistance?

for some reason car just wont start and its doing a lot of funny business. Here are the issues:

----------------------------------------
When battery is charged, all dash lights stay on (airbag blinks, seatbelt, oil, battery, etc)

normally my SAFC comes on when i set car to ON but now it doesnt

Car doesnt turn over or anything when u try to start car. It acts as if the killswitch is on activated or if the battery is dead.

Trafficating arrows work when key is in car but car is not set to on.

ECU light doesnt come on when car is set to ON, not even for a second, i dont think so. Battery is dead right now so i cant even check
-----------------------------------------

these are all the symptoms i've seen so far. I dont know what to do, at first i thought it was alarm (viper) but its set to valet and i've never heard of an alarm do this type of stuff. I'm open to ANY suggestions, my last resort and probably most likely resort is go to nissan and get raped but if someone can help me wit this, 1 million cool points to that great orger . BTW, battey was taken out the car for a couple days...

here are a few things i'm thinking about but nothing gives me enough proof to blame it on the following issues:

Starter?
Ignition switch?
bad ecu?
bad ground somewhere?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm needing a caw

Check all fuses.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe a problem with the security system?
Old 12-21-2004, 09:48 AM

Could it be that you checked your codes and never switched the ECU back from the diagnostic mode? Check the ECU screw.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Sports Button FTW

bout to go take an exam, thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming. When i get chance i'll look over everything. Fuses were looked over already but i plan to check ecu or try another one, try another battery...
Old 12-21-2004, 10:45 AM
brotherhood of tq

gots to love a max with problems. did it drive then you parked it and all this started? it could be the fuseable link that went dead on your. when mine when it cause all these other probelms.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Sports Button FTW

it has a bad ground somewhere, just tested and did something and the SAFC came on and it almost started...atleast i got somewhere.

Definitely not alarm
definitely not start
definitely not battery

maybe fuses
maybe ignition switch
most likely something is touching something it shouldnt be....
Old 12-21-2004, 03:48 PM

Did you touch any wiring when you were messing with radio install?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Sports Button FTW

i had radio professionally installed. I have reason to believe my battery is bad. Here are new symptoms:

power to car is also controlled by a breaker. When battery is charged long enough, all lights stay on but when power is disconnected and turned back on, car is back to normal except it wont start.

I also hear a "click" sound when i try to start it now but thats it. I could have sworn i almost heard it turn over once but it could have been in my head.

The SAFC comes on now but when all lights stay on it doesnt work until i do the breaker thing

also my SAFC shows 100% AFL. I guess i'll check my tps to see if its plugged in the morning.

wont it be funny if my battery is just trash?! Also i have a red top, fairly new, cant believe its dieing on me already...has been out the car for a couple of days wit cold weather, but WTF
Old 12-22-2004, 04:49 AM

Why won't you find a battery from someone else for test purposes?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Sports Button FTW

i did, its not battery. I think my ecu is dead

doesnt SAFC get power from ecu? when car is on ON position, SAFC doesnt come on. Also my CEL light doesnt stay on or come on at all. I tried playing wit screw, resetting,e checking for codes, nothing....

next step, test an ecu...
Old 12-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey mecca let me know what you come up with iamhaving the exact same problem, but i know jack about repair. I just figured it was my starter. I have power to my car but i can even get it to try to turn over. my headlights work, power locks, and all. i canevenm turn on my ac but i cant get the car to start.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:19 PM

I thought my battery was dead and got a friend to charge it up and after a while i was able to start my car. I let it run for like 45 minutes and turned it off and started it right back up. I thought i was good to go I came out like 2 hours later and couldnt start my car. I replaced the battery and not have power but the car doesnt even try to turn over. NEED ADVICE.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Sports Button FTW

ECU related?

i tried my friends ecu and still ran into same problem but discovered some disconnected wires....here's 2 pics and the unplugged wires circled.

yellow and blue i guess go into each other thanks to talking to dixit, ian and a few other friends but the rest i'm uncertain about....red i think may be power and thats why car doesnt start or why i see no CEL light?

here are pics:

^^^ in first pic there are two things circled, white and red wire both on the actual harness.

^^^^ in this pic there are 3 things circled. Same red wire (which i think may be power, its like furthest up to the right i think), yellow wire that may have been leading to the harness and blue wire from SAFC. i think yellow and blue go to gether but what about the red wire and white wire on the harness? where do they go?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Sports Button FTW

bump please
Old 12-27-2004, 10:18 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

you're ecu is definately not dead - it's somethign else - it's not even those two wires that wont let it crank. You can unplug the ecu altogether and it will still crank - it just wont turn over obviously.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:29 PM

ok i dont know if its going to help i have a problem starting car on horisontal position but it would start on the hill what i came up is i need to adjust park neutral safety switch. When its broken or not adjusted the power will go to the car but starter wouldnt crank. Try guys leaving your car in park and while pushing back and forward try starting it works for me on automatic trayny if it help you need to adjust the switch.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:34 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by BRAVO
I thought my battery was dead and got a friend to charge it up and after a while i was able to start my car. I let it run for like 45 minutes and turned it off and started it right back up. I thought i was good to go I came out like 2 hours later and couldnt start my car. I replaced the battery and not have power but the car doesnt even try to turn over. NEED ADVICE.
you need a new battery.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by seximagtr
you're ecu is definately not dead - it's somethign else - it's not even those two wires that wont let it crank. You can unplug the ecu altogether and it will still crank - it just wont turn over obviously.

dam, so what do u guys think is the problem??? what should i look into?

what would keep lights on on the dash when key is out?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:30 AM

hey nadir,
I bought a new battery. I have power to the car but it wont crank. It isnt even trying to start.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:43 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

hey nadir,
I bought a new battery. I have power to the car but it wont crank. It isnt even trying to start.
do you have a voltmeter?

what does your battery read when it doesn't start? that way you'll find out if a) your alternator works or not b) your battery is drained or not.

What about when you jump the car? Does it start up right away?

it could be a bad starter... do you hear clicks when you turn the key?
Old 12-29-2004, 12:07 PM

hey nadir,
get a big screwdriver and a hammer and bang on the starter while someone tries to start it see if that works. mecca if your light is staying on check your alt connections and change your 7.5 amp fuses probably blown. located next to your battery.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:18 AM

Nadir ,
thanks for the advice
Old 01-02-2005, 09:22 AM

Nadir ,
thanks for the advice. I do hear clicking by the fuse box under the the dash. I am thinking it is probably the starter. I dont think I sould need a jump because the battery is brand new. I replaced it afterthe problem started. I will drop another update after a couple of tests.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:36 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

alternator? " all dash lights stay on (airbag blinks, seatbelt, oil, battery, etc)"
this happened to me when my alternator died. i do not know to muc about the situation and what causes it, but i did experiance this at that time.