4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

0707 code: Rear Heated O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

0707 code: Rear Heated O2 sensor

I got the 0707 code (Rear Heated O2 sensor), and I wanted to ask how I know that this is really the problem. It has been posted in the past that this code can be caused by the FRONT sensors, or a problem with the cat. converter. Anyone have any thoughts on how I can find out the real problem? Thanks!

Also, where can I get a cheap O2 sensor?

Shawn
Old 12-23-2004, 04:04 PM

I've been running with a bad one since 1999, just can't bother to get it replaced again. Doesn't seem to do any harm and it has no influence on the ECU in terms of driveability or performance (that's what I've read here anyway).
Old 12-24-2004, 10:31 PM

anyone.....
Old 12-24-2004, 11:33 PM
2060lbs and falling...

The only way to tell the which it is is by getting an OBD-II scan tool or going to the dealer and have them diagnose it for ~$40. New sensors can be found at oxygensensors.com. Do not get the POS universal ones. Get the type that is produced for this car. Also, another way to check it quickly is to look at the actual sensor. It if looks at all like it has contacted anything it is surely dead. They are very sensative. And yes the rear does effect performance indirectly. If totally dead it read zero volts. This puts the engine into some sort of safe mode and causes it to run extremely rich. This reduces power and increases fuel consumption.

95bluse, if you get ~300mi/tank and your top speed is ~125 MPH you have a dead rear O2. Its costing you a lot on gas and power.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The rear o2 sensor does not affect performance, it is used for monitoring the condition of your cat only. The ecu takes data from the front o2 sensors to monitor your car, not from the rear o2. The o2 code could be either from a fault o2 sensor or a clogged/bad cat.

-Nick
Old 12-25-2004, 03:27 AM

0707 is the rear o2 sensor. I have replaced mine twice. The first time at 60k because it set off the check engine light. The next time when I installed my y-pipe and didn't tighten the bolts tight enough. That caused an air leak and the engine to run rich. The car ran fine the entire time. Gas mileage wasn't effected. So I don't think your fixing anything but the CEL light.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:25 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by 95CustomMaxima
The rear o2 sensor does not affect performance, it is used for monitoring the condition of your cat only. The ecu takes data from the front o2 sensors to monitor your car, not from the rear o2. The o2 code could be either from a fault o2 sensor or a clogged/bad cat.
The O2 sensor does not directely effect performance. When its dead it reads zero volts. That throws the system into some sort of safe mode. This causes the engine to run extremely rich and inturn less powerful. I agree that when working normally the rear O2 does nothing.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:03 AM

I replaced my rear O2 yesterday. My old one welded itself to the old exhaust. It still works, I'll let it go for $20. lol just kidding (well, it does actually work):

He said he could permanently weld it to the new exhaust but gave me the the whole time I was considering it.

Got a new one for $165 at nissan. The car ran fine with just the plug budget supplied with the b-pipe. My gas mileage was ****ty, but then again I just got a new exhaust...
Old 12-26-2004, 10:06 PM
2060lbs and falling...

You paid $165? That is $100 too much. Oxygensensors.com has them for $65. They are exactly like OEM in fitment and wiring harness.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:41 AM

It really doesn't affect performance. I got that from oxygensensors.com and from here. Mine kept going off after I got a high flow cat. I changed it 3 times. Finally, the light went off by itself. It it comes back on, I'm just going to get an O2 bypass sensor from ebay and call it a day.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:26 PM
2060lbs and falling...

As I said before, it does not effect performance when working correctly. Are you argueing or agreeing?

About your problem, I see that you are lowered and have a high flow cat. I had a similar situation, lowered and cat. What was happening to me was: The cat was slightly twisted so the sensor was sticking out more toward the ground. Over every little bump it got knocked. I replaced it two times before I realized it was hitting the ground. One little bit of contact will kill the sensor. Rotate your cat so the sensor is more horizontal and the problem will resolve itself. That said, you really need an OBD-II reader to make sure the sensor is actually dead.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Broaner
As I said before, it does not effect performance when working correctly. Are you argueing or agreeing?

About your problem, I see that you are lowered and have a high flow cat. I had a similar situation, lowered and cat. What was happening to me was: The cat was slightly twisted so the sensor was sticking out more toward the ground. Over every little bump it got knocked. I replaced it two times before I realized it was hitting the ground. One little bit of contact will kill the sensor. Rotate your cat so the sensor is more horizontal and the problem will resolve itself. That said, you really need an OBD-II reader to make sure the sensor is actually dead.
I was semi-argueing. That theory you noted may be correct. However, since I the CEL is gone, should I still be concenred? I haven't really noticed a difference in performance or fuel consumption. I just laways heard that it's there for emissions and does not affect performance. Dallas at Warpspeed told me this as well as people on this board.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:42 AM

It think they are right when the front one mainly will effect performance. But the rear one will only effect it if it is not working..aka safe mode when it is not working. And when it works it is used as a sensor for your cat converter. That has always been my understanding of the 2 o2 sensors on these cars
Old 12-28-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kinger402
It think they are right when the front one mainly will effect performance. But the rear one will only effect it if it is not working..aka safe mode when it is not working. And when it works it is used as a sensor for your cat converter. That has always been my understanding of the 2 o2 sensors on these cars
Our cars have three O2 sensors. One left, one right, and one rear.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:46 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Now that you have no code you have no need to worry. For future problems though I recomend an OBD-II reader.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:10 AM

why get a reader when u can check the codes with flashes for free? and the flash method does tell u which o2 sensor (i know cause i just got that 7/7 myself. Funny thing is it didn't set off the cel, just like a KS or 3/4 code it was a ghost code, i had to check the cel to get it, it never let up on its on. And FYI When i got my Straight pipe i had the rear o2 sensor taped to the pipe on the outside, and the car ran fine and didn't give any codes... Like people have said before that o2 sensor does nothing for performance. Its for emisions only.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Armed and Dangerous

you can get OEM nissan at www.everythingnissan.com for $100, and you do not have to splice into them into the old wire like the ones from www.oxygensensors.com. Worth the extra money IMO... places like napa and carquest etc. have them pretty cheap too!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:52 PM

if the rear sensor didn't do anything, why would it exist? it obviously does something. and if it doesn't do anything, why don't i just put a resistor in so that the O2 sensor is always giving a constant voltage.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:41 PM
2060lbs and falling...

i30ds, please do not spread misinformation. I've purchased three O2 sensors from oxygensensors.com and none of them had to be spliced. They offer the cheapo universal type or the OEM type which is only $10 more. Guess what; the OEM type is only $65.

djshawnee, we have gone over this but I'll say it again. The O2 sensor does not effect performance when working properly. It is merely there to insure the Cat is working. It doesn't do a very good job though cause mine throws no codes and I have a test pipe. It will not throw a code if the voltage is consistantly fluctuating between 0 & 1.5 V. You can't put a resistor on there because that will throw a code. Why? When the ECU sees a constant code from one O2 while the others are fluctuating it knows something is up. If you want, get an O2 simulator but there is no point.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:37 PM

Goodness!!!!!

The rear 02 will not effect performance. I've reset my ECU a couple of times after running my car really hard and it hasn't come back. I'm sure it could be bad but the car drives fine and has lots of power.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by Broaner
i30ds, please do not spread misinformation. I've purchased three O2 sensors from oxygensensors.com and none of them had to be spliced. They offer the cheapo universal type or the OEM type which is only $10 more. Guess what; the OEM type is only $65.

djshawnee, we have gone over this but I'll say it again. The O2 sensor does not effect performance when working properly. It is merely there to insure the Cat is working. It doesn't do a very good job though cause mine throws no codes and I have a test pipe. It will not throw a code if the voltage is consistantly fluctuating between 0 & 1.5 V. You can't put a resistor on there because that will throw a code. Why? When the ECU sees a constant code from one O2 while the others are fluctuating it knows something is up. If you want, get an O2 simulator but there is no point.
I was unaware that they sold the OEM style with the correct amount of wire, loom, and new connectors. I had known of several individuals that ordered the generic style from them and had a b!tch of a time splicing them into the existing wire. It is not my intention to spread misinformation.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:38 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Okay... Just didn't want other people to get the same idea you had.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:27 PM

The front O2 sensor provides feedback to the ECM for the air/fuel ratio. The rear O2 sensor detects variations in O2 levels downstream of the cat, which is an indicator if the cat is working properly. A rear 02 code indicates the voltage differential between the front 02 sensor and the rear 02 sensor is outside the range expected, thus signalling possible poor operation of the catalytic converter. The whole point of the catalytic converter is to heat up and burn off certain gases that are "bad" for the economy. Oxygen levels are monitored by front and rear sensors, and both affect the air/fuel ratio. The front affects gas mileage more so than the rear, since the air/fuel ratio before combustion drives the air/burned gas ratio after (in the rear 02).

You may not notice performance drops with a faulty rear 02, but you may notice mileage drops. Again, the 02 sensors measure gas levels (namely oxygen) and are intended to assist the ECU by providing optimum fuel mixture with the incoming oxygen.