4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Maxima woes

My 97 SE that is my first paid off car is now giving me grief after all these years. I had the scheduled maintenance dont every 6 months recommended by the dealer for the first 100k miles, but after that (now has 113k) it has gone down hill fast.

First thing that went out was my Bose car stereo, alternator, entire suspension needs to be checked and replaced, and the tranny I'm afraid is in shaky condition. All these feats are going to have to be done in coming new year, call it a resolution if you wish.

This is just out of frustration to those who absolutely hate getting bent at a big dealership, but doesn't have the time and resources to DIY.

Anybody else similar experience?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:21 PM

Except for the tranny, everthing you wrote is pretty normal, wear and tear items. I have had all of the above except the tranny. My bose began to dim out at 200k. It still works, but I can't always read the station.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

At 113k for the stock struts/shocks, it is normal they will need replacing. You can find a japanese auto repair shop that will do these replacements for much cheaper than a dealership.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Wookie

Wait till all your sensors go out at once.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:38 PM

most people replace stereo and suspension anyway...butstill that sucks :/ heres to hoping your tranny just needs a flush.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:16 PM

The Bose display on my 95 was dead when I bought it from a used car dealer 2.5 years ago... doesn't matter a huge amount to me, especially since I just use my iPod with a tape adapter these days, but still.

What's wrong with the tranny? And the suspension, for that matter... is all this just the dealership looking at the car and giving you advice? Dealerships suck.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jinni97Max
Wait till all your sensors go out at once.
Been there and going through that right now
Old 12-29-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pappa Grande
Except for the tranny, everthing you wrote is pretty normal, wear and tear items. I have had all of the above except the tranny. My bose began to dim out at 200k. It still works, but I can't always read the station.

resolder the resistors to fix the BOSE display prob. pm me if you wanna do it.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:23 PM
SLOW

Don't go to the dealership for repairs man, you are going to end up paying a ton more than you would elsewhere. Dealership mechanics and mechanics at a regular shop are no different, they all work straight out of the Factory Service Manual... they read what needs to be done, and then they do it. No point in paying a premium to have some guy do it just because he has "NISSAN" written on his coveralls.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:50 PM

Now you have me a bit worried, I have 114, on the clock and suspension is fine, but I was going to replace it very soon anyway out of maintance and desire to be lower and have better handling.

If you've had all these years with out having to worry about big reapirs then you've been doing good, and this just occured due to the age of the car, but with this oportunity to replace parts with good quality parts that will make the car feel young again.

Good to see another Max in Atlanta, if anything you maybe ablet to get some org members to help you for the right price, I'm sure they'd be cheaper thant the dealer (unless there saving for a turbo or S/C kit)

I'd try to avoid the dealer at all costs, with the type of repairs your talking you can save atleast $300, just because their prices are so high.

Get a 5th Gen tranny, if your 5 speed, I've been hearing a 5th Gen clutch grabbes better.

suspension check the faqs for detailed info.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by EugThinks
The Bose display on my 95 was dead when I bought it from a used car dealer 2.5 years ago... doesn't matter a huge amount to me, especially since I just use my iPod with a tape adapter these days, but still.

What's wrong with the tranny? And the suspension, for that matter... is all this just the dealership looking at the car and giving you advice? Dealerships suck.
The tranny tends to shift odd but it's the least of my worries now. The suspension in the front sounds like something is loose, knocking and something is rattling. I think it's the struts that need to be replaced, do you know how much a import shop would charge for replacements? I might just get some lowering kit since they need to be replaced anyhow for some tighter cornering (stock SE rims but I still like 'em ).

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Good to see another Max in Atlanta, if anything you maybe ablet to get some org members to help you for the right price, I'm sure they'd be cheaper thant the dealer (unless there saving for a turbo or S/C kit)
I see you are from Lawrenceville, I am from the north end of the city where I found out you can't trust the local mechanics more than you can throw em. :P
Old 12-30-2004, 07:00 AM

I have a 97 Maxima GXE with 174K on it. It is most reliable and running great. I have kept up with routine maintenance and such. With all cars over a period of time: belts, hoses, gaskets, and brakes will need to be changed periodically. On my Max I had to have the starter motor replaced, the compressor replaced and some other routine items.

I have yet to have the struts done...so far so good. What is the normal life expectancy of struts given normal wear and tear...American roads not European cobblestone?

No tranny problems...just the routine flushes and maintenance.

No engine problems...routine oil changes and checks. I will need to have my valve cover gaskets replaced some time.

Someone made a comment about dealership maintenance vs. some other shop...it is true that dealerships are a bit more expensive...but, I also believe that you get what you pay for...I have had other shops work on my car where they took short cuts and did sloppy work with marginal products. At least with a dealership, you have a better idea that they will use Nissan parts and do the work right the first time. In the end, most mechanics are a bunch of crooks...and it is really hard to get good honest quality work.

Just my 02
Old 12-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Originally Posted by oceancrest67
...At least with a dealership, you have a better idea that they will use Nissan parts and do the work right the first time...
The guys at dealerships are a bunch of morons. They never get it right the first time. I would totally trust an independent Nissan/ Japanese shop over the dealer any day.