4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU won't reset ... huh? (screwdriver method)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ECU won't reset ... huh? (screwdriver method)

Ok so like the title says my ecu won't reset, i tried like 20 times. I replaced my knock sensor with a 470k resistor to get rid of that damn code. And when i was done i tried to reset my ecu using the screw driver and low and behold it didn't work, I exactly what i've always done (and whats in the sticky's) i turned the screw clockwise stopped, turned back and immediately repeated, and all it did was put it right back into diagnostic mode. I was able to take it out of diagnostic mode, by turning it clockwise and back like normal (not repeating) but as many times as i tried i can't reset it. I went to Advance autoparts and they said they couldn't do it cause all that had was obd I =(... So what should i do? I Took it for a ride and tried again, and not only could i not reset the ecu i got a new damn code 1005 that i wasn't getting before. WTF
Old 12-29-2004, 03:58 PM

do you get resistance from the scew?

maybe the new resistor could be causing it.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:24 PM
^ Jeff™

...maybe your EGR Control Solenoid is out too?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrEous
...maybe your EGR Control Solenoid is out too?

I got the knock sensor code and the EGRC solenoid valve code at the same time. I replaced the EGR valve and was able to reset the CEL. It eventually came back on but it took me driving it for a couple of miles first.

Must be something else.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:35 PM

I'm more concerned about the fact that i can't reset the ecu, whether or not the sensors even still bad, the ecu should reset and read no codes before i start the car and it has time to check the sensors, so i'm left wondering wtf is up with my ecu.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sounds stupid, but are you sure you didnt unplug the connector for the egr solenoid? i actually did that before, and it threw the code.

also, i'm pretty sure the 1995's were obd II. look on the opposite side(passenger) of the ecu for the obd II plug.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:06 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by TonyGotSkilz
Ok so like the title says my ecu won't reset, i tried like 20 times. I replaced my knock sensor with a 470k resistor to get rid of that damn code. And when i was done i tried to reset my ecu using the screw driver and low and behold it didn't work, I exactly what i've always done (and whats in the sticky's) i turned the screw clockwise stopped, turned back and immediately repeated, and all it did was put it right back into diagnostic mode. I was able to take it out of diagnostic mode, by turning it clockwise and back like normal (not repeating) but as many times as i tried i can't reset it. I went to Advance autoparts and they said they couldn't do it cause all that had was obd I =(... So what should i do? I Took it for a ride and tried again, and not only could i not reset the ecu i got a new damn code 1005 that i wasn't getting before. WTF
You have to do it TWICE. Clockwise to stop, counterclockwise to stop, clockwise to stop, counterclockwise to stop. That will clear them. doing it once is just diagnostic mode.

Also don't listen to those tards at Advance Auto Parts. ALL 4th gens are OBD-II. The reason they (and other people) have the notion in their head that some are not is that in 1996 was the first year the government was requiring OBD-II and thus regulating the positioning of OBD-II connectors on cars. The reason they think it's not is because the OBD-II connector is not in the "required" spot on the 95s so they think "oh my gosh this car has to be OBD-I" even though it is not. Manufacturers were not required to put the OBD-II connector in a standard spot until model year 1996, so in 1995 if the car was OBD-II compliant (as the maxima was) they could put it wherever the heck they wanted to.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

If your able to check your codes then it is fine. You have to do it twice like Neal said. Even if you did not reset the CEL it would eventually go off if the problem is fixed. The ECU checks it's systems and throws codes in cycles.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:58 AM

Ok first off, i don't think anyone read that right, i've reset my ecu's in my maxes at least 20 different times, and i did it right, i did it twice. I'm not a noob lol. And i've never heard of an ecu getting rid of a code by itself even when the problem was fixed unless its reset because it stores all the last codes until it is reset.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by TonyGotSkilz
Ok first off, i don't think anyone read that right, i've reset my ecu's in my maxes at least 20 different times, and i did it right, i did it twice. I'm not a noob lol. And i've never heard of an ecu getting rid of a code by itself even when the problem was fixed unless its reset because it stores all the last codes until it is reset.

Ah, yes. Did not see that you repeated the process.

The CEL will turn off by itself. It has happend to me a few times. I may keep a stored code, that I am not sure of, but if during its check the problem is no longer found then the CEL will turn off.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:33 AM

Don't you have to turn the ignition key "off" after you reset? I didn't see anyone say that, so i 'm not sure if he did that as well.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:51 PM
SLOW

Sorry I didn't see the part where you said "and repeated."
Old 12-30-2004, 04:53 PM

yes, you should turn your key off after you reset your ECU. In between each cycle you do to reset, i'm pretty sure you are supposed to wait 2 sec. in between each cycle of the screw. So you turn it counterclockwise-clockwise...wait two sec...turn counterclockwise-turn clockwise...turn off ignition. Then start the car and see if the codes went away. I'm not sure if you start off turning the screw clockwise or counter, but you get the idea.