4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help with brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 06:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

One of my calipers was messed up so I decided to change it out this weekend. It's the front left(driverside) one. I changed it out, and now I have no brakes at all. I bled em and stuff but they still seem not to stop AT ALL. Maybe I bled em wrong, anyone have step by step instructions as how to exactly bleed your 4th gen brakes, that would help. Could it be the master cylinder? If so, how much do those babies run? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2001, 07:16 AM
doz

When you say you have no brakes at all... You mean you can't stop at all...right. Does your e-brake work?

When you replaced the caliper did you drain all the brake fluid or did you just remove the old caliper and replace it with the new one?
Old 04-23-2001, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by NmexMAX
One of my calipers was messed up so I decided to change it out this weekend. It's the front left(driverside) one. I changed it out, and now I have no brakes at all. I bled em and stuff but they still seem not to stop AT ALL. Maybe I bled em wrong, anyone have step by step instructions as how to exactly bleed your 4th gen brakes, that would help. Could it be the master cylinder? If so, how much do those babies run? Thanks in advance.
It could be the master cylinder, but considering the recent repair history of the vehicle it is more likely air in the lines.

Good detailed instructions for bleeding the brake hydraulic system will be found in the Chilton repair manual (page 9-5) and the Haynes repair manual (page 9-16). You can buy these books in any large bookstore or auto parts store. They may be available at your public library.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'm pretty sure it's just air in the lines, nope, no brakes at all. The e-brake does work of course probably because it is run by a cable and not fluid. By draining all the fluid would that just be just letting the old stuff out and filling with new stuff? What about a flush? Sounds like a good idea, how much fluid does the brake system hold?
Old 04-23-2001, 08:42 AM

IIRC, the order that you bleed the system is different for Maximas with anti-lock brakes. Typically, for non-ABS, you should bleed the right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front. I don't have my service manual with me so I can't check, but I think for ABS it is RR, then LF, then LR, then RF.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:49 AM

I'm pretty sure it's just air in the lines, nope, no brakes at all. The e-brake does work of course probably because it is run by a cable and not fluid. By draining all the fluid would that just be just letting the old stuff out and filling with new stuff? What about a flush? Sounds like a good idea, how much fluid does the brake system hold?
Just do a careful job of bleeding all four wheels. That constitutes a flush. You will probably need one quart of brake fluid.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:55 AM
dot dot dot ...

Thanks guys, Your help is greatly apprecieted!!
Old 04-23-2001, 09:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just bled brakes last week.

We pumped the pedal six times and held it to the floor on the sixth. While the pedal was down, we opened up the bleeder screw, let the fluid squirt out, and closed it off. Repeated procedure 3-4 times per wheel. My pedal is hard as a rock.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:07 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

I've used

this method for brake bleeding on ABS (Acura TL) and non-ABS (my 94 Max) vehicles without problems. I used ATE super blue brake fluid so that I could tell when the old gold/brown fluid had really been flushed at each wheel.

http://members.aol.com/agspeed1/diybrake.htm

I tend to agree that on ABS equipped cars, turning the car on to allow the fluid to go through the ABS pump is wise.....but haven't heard of the alternate method for the wheel order.....
Old 04-23-2001, 09:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

My car is non- ABS, and I have heard of the RR LR FR FL, which is basically do it in order of distance furthest from the master cylinder. I will do this and see how it goes.