4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installed JWT Pop-Charger & Apex'i WS cat-back (initial impressions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 08:02 AM

Holy crap!

I love the way my Max sounds now. I've got a 96 SE 5 speed, and I did a mini-tune up (recently crossed 100k!) and installed the above parts. I changed my fuel-filter and spark plugs and installed Matrix FSTB. I'm running Denso iridium plugs and have no complaints, nice idle.

Back to the matter at hand, my car sounds bad *** now! And the best part is that it only barks when I'm in the pedal. I notice that the midrange is even more awesome. From behind the car the Apex'i exhaust looks beautiful and sounds great. I like to think of it as a mini-V8. Its got a nice low grumble and when you go WOT is sounds awesome. Even my father said it was suprisingly quiet, he expected a lot more exhaust sound. These are my first mods and I'm so hooked. Next is gonna be a new cat, mines pretty rusted and looks horrible next to the Apex'i system. After that new flex pipe, mine is in pretty bad condition (I hate the NE, winter seasons!), and then Y-pipe.

For those of you considering and exhaust upgrade I definitely suggest the Apex'i WS cat-back. Its quality stuff (love the Apex'i engravings!) and sounds awesome without over doing it, and as far as pop-chargers go get JWT wht pay more for Stillen?

Next up, Koni, H&R install. And some x-drilled rotors for the summer. I'm officially hooked, my bank account is gonna take a pounding this summer.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:05 AM

Congrats on the new mods and the newly found HP. It only gets better from here.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
Holy crap!

I love the way my Max sounds now. I've got a 96 SE 5 speed, and I did a mini-tune up (recently crossed 100k!) and installed the above parts. I changed my fuel-filter and spark plugs and installed Matrix FSTB. I'm running Denso iridium plugs and have no complaints, nice idle.

Back to the matter at hand, my car sounds bad *** now! And the best part is that it only barks when I'm in the pedal. I notice that the midrange is even more awesome. From behind the car the Apex'i exhaust looks beautiful and sounds great. I like to think of it as a mini-V8. Its got a nice low grumble and when you go WOT is sounds awesome. Even my father said it was suprisingly quiet, he expected a lot more exhaust sound. These are my first mods and I'm so hooked. Next is gonna be a new cat, mines pretty rusted and looks horrible next to the Apex'i system. After that new flex pipe, mine is in pretty bad condition (I hate the NE, winter seasons!), and then Y-pipe.

For those of you considering and exhaust upgrade I definitely suggest the Apex'i WS cat-back. Its quality stuff (love the Apex'i engravings!) and sounds awesome without over doing it, and as far as pop-chargers go get JWT wht pay more for Stillen?

Next up, Koni, H&R install. And some x-drilled rotors for the summer. I'm officially hooked, my bank account is gonna take a pounding this summer.
I hear ya. I am trying to keep control too. How does your ride sound on the road and do you notice any power-loss on low end engine performance?
Old 04-23-2001, 08:43 AM

Come to think of it there was a little loss...

Originally posted by deezo

I hear ya. I am trying to keep control too. How does your ride sound on the road and do you notice any power-loss on low end engine performance?
I did notice a little low-end loss, not much though. Its gonna take a week more for me to really realize if there is any negligable loss. The car sounds so sweet I always find myself getting into the pedal. Sweet part is that even at half-throttle my Max sounds great. But to answer your question based on my initial impression, there is a small low-end loss.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:47 AM

Re: Come to think of it there was a little loss...

I did notice a little low-end loss, not much though. Its gonna take a week more for me to really realize if there is any negligable loss. The car sounds so sweet I always find myself getting into the pedal. Sweet part is that even at half-throttle my Max sounds great. But to answer your question based on my initial impression, there is a small low-end loss.
So do you think this loss will prevent you getting the jump off the line? Sorry for all the questions but I am looking to do the same mods during the summer and just waqnt to get all the info I can about the Pop charger.
Old 04-23-2001, 08:55 AM

Re: Come to think of it there was a little loss...

So do you think this loss will prevent you getting the jump off the line? Sorry for all the questions but I am looking to do the same mods during the summer and just waqnt to get all the info I can about the Pop charger.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Come to think of it there was a little loss...

TAKE PICTURE TAKE PICTURES TAKE PICTURES.. hah ok.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:32 AM

Re: Re: Come to think of it there was a little loss...

Originally posted by deezo

Read this and put your mind at ease. I was very skeptical about the gains that the pop-charger and exhaust would give. I decided to do them because of two reasons. (1) I got the exhaust on a great deal (thanks Wicked1044!) and Apex'i WS was designed to improve mid-range and remain a very streetable (sound-wise), (2) the pop-charger was a great deal(thanks Paul @AvalonRacing) and all of the dyno charts I've seen for 4th gen Max post at least a 4hp peak gain. Not much but definitely an improvement. Now, after installing these again I highly recommend them both. My "butt-dyno" has been smiling all weekend. In regular driving I find myself travelling faster than before. The car really picks up. To answer your question it will not hurt your jump off the line. Remember there are three benefits to the above mentioned parts. Improved flow (in and out), increased longevity (Apex'i is a nice piece neat welds and good construction, and JWT pop just clean and never buy another air-filter), and improved sound. Did I say my Max sounds awesome?!?! (j/k) But seriously for manual drivers these parts greatly help with rev-matching. I used to pay close attention the the tach and speedo, now I just listen for the engine. Downshifts sound absolutely awesome!

Disclaimer: Remember these are my first mods, and my impressions. Other opinions will vary. I have not tried the Greddy cat-back ($$$) and I'm not a fan of CAI's(cut a whole, where!?!?). So my post compare my mods to stock equipment and nothing else.

"Remember, look into your heart for wisdom and under your seat for change"

PS: pics coming soon!
Old 04-23-2001, 09:47 AM

My cousin's got a Tanabe dual setup on his 300ZX, and it has a nice, nice V8 rumble at idle, and low revs, but once you take it up high in the powerband, it totally sounds like a friggin' Civic. I definitely don't want that. How's that WS sound at lower rpm? I wouldn't want it too quiet...I'd like to know that I've got something, even if I'm not getting on it.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:19 AM

Give me even more reason to buy an Apexi WS exhaust. I'll get it as soon as I get the $ or have a credit card I can use that isn't over limit. Btw, you said you're not a fan of the CAI. I think you should really think about get a CAI. Cutting the hole isn't a big deal really. You will love the sound that it make, more aggressive than the cone intake. Just thought you should know that. If you think the cone intake is great, the CAI will take you over the edge.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by SuperBlackSE
My cousin's got a Tanabe dual setup on his 300ZX, and it has a nice, nice V8 rumble at idle, and low revs, but once you take it up high in the powerband, it totally sounds like a friggin' Civic. I definitely don't want that. How's that WS sound at lower rpm? I wouldn't want it too quiet...I'd like to know that I've got something, even if I'm not getting on it.
At low rpm it sounds nice too. Whats nice about this exhaust is that it depends on throttle position. If you've got it under load, like maybe 3rd gear from about 2000 rpm it starts a nice low-key growl by about 3000rpm if you stay in the throttle you'll be rewarded by music to your ears. Trust me you'll always know its there if you're in the pedal, otherwise ease up and coast at a constant rpm and it sound slightly heavier than stock. My gas mileage is going out the window how much I like to get on the gas. And you dont always have to go WOT to evoke nice sounds. Half or 3/4 throttle sounds sweet too.
Old 04-23-2001, 11:57 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Does anyone have the dB rating for the greddy and the apexi?
Old 04-23-2001, 12:02 PM

I would lile to know a desible level as well, I want some sound, but I dont want it to drone while I am crusing on the freeway.
Old 04-23-2001, 01:15 PM

I have the A'pexi WS and it's awesome. Very deep at low RPM's....and the intake takes over at high rpms...not like a Civic AT ALL. Never sounds ricey at any rpm or throttle position. the setup with the JWT and WS cat-back is just great sounding all around.
Old 04-23-2001, 01:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yep.. wall. you guys gonna sport some pictures here or what??
Old 04-23-2001, 01:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Come to think of it there was a little loss...

Read this and put your mind at ease. I was very skeptical about the gains that the pop-charger and exhaust would give. I decided to do them because of two reasons. (1) I got the exhaust on a great deal (thanks Wicked1044!) and Apex'i WS was designed to improve mid-range and remain a very streetable (sound-wise), (2) the pop-charger was a great deal(thanks Paul @AvalonRacing) and all of the dyno charts I've seen for 4th gen Max post at least a 4hp peak gain. Not much but definitely an improvement. Now, after installing these again I highly recommend them both. My "butt-dyno" has been smiling all weekend. In regular driving I find myself travelling faster than before. The car really picks up. To answer your question it will not hurt your jump off the line. Remember there are three benefits to the above mentioned parts. Improved flow (in and out), increased longevity (Apex'i is a nice piece neat welds and good construction, and JWT pop just clean and never buy another air-filter), and improved sound. Did I say my Max sounds awesome?!?! (j/k) But seriously for manual drivers these parts greatly help with rev-matching. I used to pay close attention the the tach and speedo, now I just listen for the engine. Downshifts sound absolutely awesome!

Disclaimer: Remember these are my first mods, and my impressions. Other opinions will vary. I have not tried the Greddy cat-back ($$$) and I'm not a fan of CAI's(cut a whole, where!?!?). So my post compare my mods to stock equipment and nothing else.

"Remember, look into your heart for wisdom and under your seat for change"

PS: pics coming soon!
Ok dog, you have sold me on the JW Pop Charger and the Apex'i. I'll try it. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-23-2001, 01:49 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

88 dB for the GReddy... no Y, stock cat

Originally posted by NickStam
Does anyone have the dB rating for the greddy and the apexi?
Old 04-23-2001, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Chunger
88 dB for the GReddy... no Y, stock cat

i want to get a muffler for my car but i don't want that hummmmmmm in the car when driving on the highway between 55-75mph. does the APEXI WS make that hummmmmmm with the windows closed and the radio off?
Old 04-23-2001, 03:45 PM

hey

ya im with 97GLES...i cracked my muffler not too long ago and i just had to get it welded....the drone was making me batty...its insane
Old 04-23-2001, 04:00 PM

Greddy answers

I think 88db is right. I have the JWT popcharger and Greddy Catback system. At normal accelleration, the noise is not even noticeable, but give it a little more juice and it purrs. At 60 mph you can not even tell it is there. About 2200 rpm there is a slight drone, but it is not as loud as not having a muffler (been there). Wait till you go for a long trip and see your gas mileage improve. I drove from Birmingham from Memphis with this setup and got over 33mpg going 75-78mph the entire way.

98sterlingmistSE- JWT Popcharger Intake, Greddy Catback Exhaust, Stillen FSTB, 35%tint, Fully Loaded
Old 04-23-2001, 04:40 PM

deezo....yeah i remember when i got my HKS universal system w/ custom b-pipe put on my car...it wasn't loud at all. but when i put my y-pipe on, different story. it's loud...i liked it for a couple of years and still kinda do, but it does get annoying after awhile. the y-pipe will make your exhaust louder, so be prepared for that..but i am thinking about switchin my system out for the apex'i anyways because of the silencer that can be purchased. anyways, congrats on your new toys..enjoy. the obsession won't stop, believe me!!

sachin
Old 04-23-2001, 06:03 PM

Apexi images...

Apexi images... here are some pics of mine:

Old 04-23-2001, 06:41 PM

$$$$$

How much for the apexi WS?

I found this http://www.cartuningparts.com

Sells them for 499$ 25% off comes to around 375$

THis a good deal? I ready with CC in hand

R
Old 04-23-2001, 08:43 PM

Re: $$$$$

Originally posted by Gumby510
How much for the apexi WS?

I found this http://www.cartuningparts.com

Sells them for 499$ 25% off comes to around 375$

THis a good deal? I ready with CC in hand

R
Yea it's a good deal for 375....I got mine for $400.77 shipped from Vitessi motorsports and their customer service was AMAZING...they called to follow up up my purchase to see how I liked it and sent me very nice French Chocolate I was very impressed to say the least.
Old 04-24-2001, 09:03 AM

$$$

The guy from that site just emailed me a price of 369 shipped to me. If your in the market for this catback jump on it.

R.
Old 04-24-2001, 11:45 PM

$369- shipped

That's a great price! What's there email address?
Old 04-25-2001, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by sachin98max
deezo....yeah i remember when i got my HKS universal system w/ custom b-pipe put on my car...it wasn't loud at all. but when i put my y-pipe on, different story. it's loud...i liked it for a couple of years and still kinda do, but it does get annoying after awhile. the y-pipe will make your exhaust louder, so be prepared for that..but i am thinking about switchin my system out for the apex'i anyways because of the silencer that can be purchased. anyways, congrats on your new toys..enjoy. the obsession won't stop, believe me!!

sachin
Thanks for the info. I really don't want a lot of noise either.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:39 AM

email

HEre is the guys email

jayturbo@unitel.co.kr

Real cool guy and 369$ was the price shipped to me in vegas. It may vary where you live! He does not do Credit card but will ship COD.

Rob