4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

coolant in the radiator question... please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 10:24 AM

ok this started about a month or two ago, noticed a little bit of antifreeze on the ground. checked my radiator cap and it was bone dry, filled it with water and put some leak stopping crap in it, worked for a while then happened again, this time i put more water and leak stopping crap in it. i filled up the coolant reservoir(sp?) car hasnt overheated anymore and the resevoir has a bit left in it, amount of water hasnt changed in a long while but the radiator still is dry when you check the cap, is this normal? or whats the deal
Old 04-23-2001, 10:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

For one, stop using that "stop leak" stuff. It clogs your coolant system and could be bad for the h20 pump. If you have a leak, find the source of the leak and get it repaired. Could be many things, the radiator, the hoses, thermostat housing leak, freeze plugs on the block, water pump going bad and finally, a bad headgasket. Check the oil's dipstick, if it has water beads on it or if the oil looks like a chocolate milksake, it's bad news(head gasket)
Old 04-23-2001, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Justin95SE
ok this started about a month or two ago, noticed a little bit of antifreeze on the ground. checked my radiator cap and it was bone dry, filled it with water and put some leak stopping crap in it, worked for a while then happened again, this time i put more water and leak stopping crap in it. i filled up the coolant reservoir(sp?) car hasnt overheated anymore and the resevoir has a bit left in it, amount of water hasnt changed in a long while but the radiator still is dry when you check the cap, is this normal? or whats the deal
If I understand your post, you are seeing a loss of coolant from the radiator but no loss of coolant from the reservoir. No, this is not normal. It may be the result of ...
- a loose or defective radiator cap
- a damaged or disconnected hose between the radiator filler neck and the reservoir
- a hole in the radiator
Old 04-23-2001, 10:35 AM

d'oh!

ok so there should be visible antifreeze when you check the cap? Just thought it was weird and i wasnt too worried because the resevoir goes to a certain level and then i dont lose any more for a very long time.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:57 AM

Re: d'oh!

Originally posted by Justin95SE
ok so there should be visible antifreeze when you check the cap? Just thought it was weird and i wasnt too worried because the resevoir goes to a certain level and then i dont lose any more for a very long time.
It should be full, right to the top. Remember, it's not safe to open the radiator fill cap unless the engine is cold. Work safely!