4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Funny noises from my suspension (creaks n squeaks)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Go Hokies!!

Funny noises from my suspension (creaks n squeaks)

Well I have two issues here, hopefully you guys can give me some insight into both of these. First, I'm on Tokico Illuminas/Tokico springs, installed about 2 months ago.

Problem 1
I have a squeaking noise, which is horribly annoying, coming from somewhere in the rear of my car. I'd have to think it has to do with the springs. I believe this problem started out soon after the strut/spring install. Just driving normally, you can hear the squeeking. Push down on the rear of the car, you can hear the squeak, let the car come back up and squeaks again. Very annoying, anyone know what the problem is?

Problem 2
This problem I just noticed yesterday. Making a slow speed turn (coming out of a parking space), I sometimes hear a pretty loud creaking noise. Would this have to do with the struts/springs or another part of the suspension? I hope I didn't mess up something else in my suspension.. The creak noise comes in bursts of about 3-5 creaks, and doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it scares me.

I don't really have anywhere or anything to check the car out myself, as I got someone else to install my suspension, so I'd have to bring up these problems to my mechanic most likely.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by fadeaway
Well I have two issues here, hopefully you guys can give me some insight into both of these. First, I'm on Tokico Illuminas/Tokico springs, installed about 2 months ago.

Problem 1
I have a squeaking noise, which is horribly annoying, coming from somewhere in the rear of my car. I'd have to think it has to do with the springs. I believe this problem started out soon after the strut/spring install. Just driving normally, you can hear the squeeking. Push down on the rear of the car, you can hear the squeak, let the car come back up and squeaks again. Very annoying, anyone know what the problem is?

Problem 2
This problem I just noticed yesterday. Making a slow speed turn (coming out of a parking space), I sometimes hear a pretty loud creaking noise. Would this have to do with the struts/springs or another part of the suspension? I hope I didn't mess up something else in my suspension.. The creak noise comes in bursts of about 3-5 creaks, and doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it scares me.

I don't really have anywhere or anything to check the car out myself, as I got someone else to install my suspension, so I'd have to bring up these problems to my mechanic most likely.

Thanks.
bump bump, i have a similar issue with mine. i get creeks when i turn my wheel to the right at low speeds.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:30 PM

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaStrutMounts
Old 01-01-2005, 10:40 PM

i think its the spring shifting... i just sprayed wd-40 on my spring... problem solved.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 99maxk2
i think its the spring shifting... i just sprayed wd-40 on my spring... problem solved.
The spring shouldn't shift around when it's installed correctly. WD-40 is only masking the problem by making the coils slippery. As soon as it wears off your noise will be back.

Personally, I'd take the whole car's suspension apart again and very carefully clean, inspect and correctly assemble it. Make sure everything lines up correctly and it goes together smoothly. Regrease your strut bearings, just pry them apart and apply some White Lythium grease then snap them back together. Make sure the upper spring perch and rubber spring bushing are seated evenly in the upper perch. Make sure the word OUT stamped on the upper perch faces out or lines up with the strut's lower mounting flange.

I'm sure if you go over everything carefully you'll have a very quiet suspension.

Do the same thing for the rears and don't use a spring compressor to assemble the strut. You don't need one for those springs and it makes aligning everyting easier if you do it by hand. Align the springs, put everything together, push down on the top and catch the center nut. Tighten it up with a socket and snug it good once it's installed in the car.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:00 AM

I only heard the sound from the front left strut/spring assembly and the front struts rotate with the turn of the wheel (they have to be able to rotate). When they rotate the spring shifts a little bit. I am getting the information from a friend that races on the track, I think he is a pretty credible sorce, but then again.. i could be wrong.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by 99maxk2
I only heard the sound from the front left strut/spring assembly and the front struts rotate with the turn of the wheel (they have to be able to rotate). When they rotate the spring shifts a little bit. I am getting the information from a friend that races on the track, I think he is a pretty credible sorce, but then again.. i could be wrong.
Do the left front first, then check the right just to be safe.

The spring and strut does rotate when you turn your wheels. But it should rotate as an assembly and not move within itself. (your noise) Thats why it's important that it's put together evenly so nothing changes as it moves.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:33 AM

I should be takin my suspension off soon anyway because I want to clean it real good (I don't like it when its dirty, per peeve.. lol) so I might be checking that stuff out then. But ever since I sprayed the WD-40 on it, I haven't heard it that much, but I guess it doesnt hurt to try.