4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

good idea to go without ebrake for the next 4 months?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 AM
no more maxima...

good idea to go without ebrake for the next 4 months?

Hi All,
I need to get my right rear ebrake cable replaced. Instead of getting hosed by local nissan dealership, I would rather order the part online and change it when its warm around april/may time. Before then this means I cannot go with it. Lately I have been parking my car in gear. Should I spent the extra $ now, or is there really nothing wrong with just waiting it out?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2005, 09:40 AM

Parking in gear works as a good method but I'm not sure overtime how much wear it would cause on your gear(s). Your in Toronto so I know its cold out and snowy so not exactly the best condition for changing the cable.

You'll be safe in gear, if you wont be on any hills in the next 4 months you should be able to get away with it.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Hi All,
I need to get my right rear ebrake cable replaced. Instead of getting hosed by local nissan dealership, I would rather order the part online and change it when its warm around april/may time. Before then this means I cannot go with it. Lately I have been parking my car in gear. Should I spent the extra $ now, or is there really nothing wrong with just waiting it out?

Thanks

It can be your calipers gone bad? you sure its the cable? I had replace my right rear caliper because it got seased. I would recommend you get it fixed for winter time, rear cliper helps but not like the front calipers, 20% Stopping power for rear clipers.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:07 AM

The biggest concern here is that you won't be excercising the emergency brakes all winter. Consequently, you will have about 3 months worth of heavy winter salt turning the good cable and BOTH caliper e-brake mechanisms into a solid chunk of rust. It might be o.k., but you might find that the calipers have frozen up over the winter. I'm originally from Rochester, NY, so I understand not wanting to get out in the cold to fix stuff, but sometimes you just have to do it.

Greg
Old 01-03-2005, 12:01 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I've never paid attention to this part of the car. Does one side not work if the other is broken? If so, seems like a pretty stupid design.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:03 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Parking in gear works as a good method but I'm not sure overtime how much wear it would cause on your gear(s). Your in Toronto so I know its cold out and snowy so not exactly the best condition for changing the cable.

You'll be safe in gear, if you wont be on any hills in the next 4 months you should be able to get away with it.
Hmm I have already parked on numerous hills in gear...
Old 01-03-2005, 01:05 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by CystumMax
It can be your calipers gone bad? you sure its the cable? I had replace my right rear caliper because it got seased. I would recommend you get it fixed for winter time, rear cliper helps but not like the front calipers, 20% Stopping power for rear clipers.
Im positive it isn't the caliper. The brake works fine, its just that sometimes when it is really cold out, if I leaved the e-brake engaged, it won't dis-engage.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:05 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by Julchen
The biggest concern here is that you won't be excercising the emergency brakes all winter. Consequently, you will have about 3 months worth of heavy winter salt turning the good cable and BOTH caliper e-brake mechanisms into a solid chunk of rust. It might be o.k., but you might find that the calipers have frozen up over the winter. I'm originally from Rochester, NY, so I understand not wanting to get out in the cold to fix stuff, but sometimes you just have to do it.

Greg
Very very valid point. I wouldn't want that to happen...I think Ill just bite the bullet and get it replaced.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:06 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by Broaner
I've never paid attention to this part of the car. Does one side not work if the other is broken? If so, seems like a pretty stupid design.
Both sides work independently.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:55 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Then you should have no problem waiting to fix it until you have the means to do so. You answered your own question. But please god don't do any modding before fixing it. That would be rice style.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Parking in gear works as a good method but I'm not sure overtime how much wear it would cause on your gear(s).
Putting the car in gear every time you park doesn't cause any significant wear. It causes about as much wear as shifting gears while driving. Probably less.

So don't shift gears, it puts wear on your transmission! 1st is good to almost 40 MPH so you can get around town just fine.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:47 PM

I would think if you are parking on hills you would want to leave it in gear anyways. What if 1 cable snaps in the middle of the night bye bye max. I think you'll be fine not fixing it til spring. I have 1 cable that hangs up too... if I really want to use mine for some reason I just use it then lay under the back and just tap the e-brake cams til It's fully released again. I know what a PITA!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by SHADETREE95
I would think if you are parking on hills you would want to leave it in gear anyways. What if 1 cable snaps in the middle of the night bye bye max. I think you'll be fine not fixing it til spring. I have 1 cable that hangs up too... if I really want to use mine for some reason I just use it then lay under the back and just tap the e-brake cams til It's fully released again. I know what a PITA!!!
If you have a Manual car and you park your car on the Upward Hill your turn your wheels all the way to the left and put the car in the first gear.
If you park your car on the down hill you turn your wheel all the way to the right and put the car in the first gear and engage the Ebrake for both situations. Good luck
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM

Yeah I realize that but not everybody does that though.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:28 PM

I always leave my car in gear. In most states you're supposed to even if on flat ground. 1st gear if facing up a hill and reverse if facing down hill.

If you have no e-brake at all, your car can still roll even if in gear if for instance your car were to get bumped by another parallel parker. It may not go far but nonetheless, it can still move and on a downhill it can roll quite a ways.

I'd carry around a wheel chock or something to put under one of the tires.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Consider finding a local rent-a-bay place. I pay $9 an hour, and it's so much easier (they loan me any tool they have)...and warmer. They got lifts and airtools, so I don't have to do any car jacking, to remove wheels or whatnot.