4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Damn exhaust!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Damn exhaust!!!!!

Hello guys, I am now a member of the 4th Gen forum. I used to have a 93 SE and sold it, but can't seem to change my username to some way match my car.... Anyway, I bought a 99 SE LIMITED 5 speed. The car sounded a little loud the other day but not bad. I took it to one of those muffler shops and they tell me I need from the cat back!! It broke just before the muffler on the middle pipe. these pieces, from cat to the muffler including the muffler, from Nissan is $600.! Any where to get these parts cheaper? Or can I weld in a pieceof pipe where the hole is rather than having to buy $600. worth of exhaust pipes to take care of one little hole?
thanks for any replys. Happy to be part of the 4th Gen forum.
Jeff
Old 01-07-2005, 03:19 PM

If your muffler is ok you can just order the bpipe, but it will be costly OEM. Other option is get a resonated Bpipe from budget exhaust in brlington(sp) for around 250CAD, it will out live the car, and you'll gain 2-3 hp, 3-5 if you already have a y-pipe, which budget also sells.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can replace it with an upgraded, slightly more free-flowing b-pipe, which will gain you a few horses. The b-pipes are around 150-175 USD. Warpspeedperformance.com makes one and Budget Exhaust (lssexhaust.com) also makes one. Get the resonated pipe so it'll be a bit quieter.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JEFF93SE
Hello guys, I am now a member of the 4th Gen forum. I used to have a 93 SE and sold it, but can't seem to change my username to some way match my car....
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=308920 to request, thanks again Sprint!

Anyway, I bought a 99 SE LIMITED 5 speed. The car sounded a little loud the other day but not bad. I took it to one of those muffler shops and they tell me I need from the cat back!! It broke just before the muffler on the middle pipe. these pieces, from cat to the muffler including the muffler, from Nissan is $600.! Any where to get these parts cheaper? Or can I weld in a piece of pipe where the hole is rather than having to buy $600. worth of exhaust pipes to take care of one little hole?
thanks for any replys. Happy to be part of the 4th Gen forum.
Jeff
A B-pipe from WSP or Budget cost under $200 and and shop can weld it together for about $40. Your local muffler shop can custom fabricate a B-pipe for cheaper than that also. Here is your chance to buy an aftermarket muffler of your choice so make it good. If you want something quiet, have your B-pipe resonated and get a nice turbo chambered muffler. If you want a sportier tone, get a nice non-fartcan straight through muffler like a flowmaster 50 series muffler. It sounds wonderful on a 4th gen, especially with a Y-pipe.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ScreamingVE
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=308920 to request, thanks again Sprint!

A B-pipe from WSP or Budget cost under $200 and and shop can weld it together for about $40. Your local muffler shop can custom fabricate a B-pipe for cheaper than that also. Here is your chance to buy an aftermarket muffler of your choice so make it good. If you want something quiet, have your B-pipe resonated and get a nice turbo chambered muffler. If you want a sportier tone, get a nice non-fartcan straight through muffler like a flowmaster 50 series muffler. It sounds wonderful on a 4th gen, especially with a Y-pipe.
thanks for the quick replys, does anyone have a number to this budget exhaust? I had an Otto muffler on my 93SE, it had a nice drone to it, but got tired of it fast. Driving my stock 99SE was a delight and quiet for a change and really don't want to go back to anything loud, though a few more horses would be nice and maybe a little tone. anything? and numbers to anyone who will do this work in this area reasonably?
thanks again
Jeff
p.s. I knew if I came to the org. that you guys would have better ideas for me!
Old 01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.lssexhaust.com/

(That's Budget's website. Contact info is there).
Old 01-07-2005, 04:28 PM

thanks for the quick replys, does anyone have a number to this budget exhaust? I had an Otto muffler on my 93SE, it had a nice drone to it, but got tired of it fast. Driving my stock 99SE was a delight and quiet for a change and really don't want to go back to anything loud, though a few more horses would be nice and maybe a little tone. anything? and numbers to anyone who will do this work in this area reasonably?
thanks again
Jeff
p.s. I knew if I came to the org. that you guys would have better ideas for me!
http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py?...=y&stx=7844603

It seems like you don't have many options in your town. You can buy a WSP B-pipe, it comes with exhaust clamps and is suppost to match up directly to the stock muffler. You can have any autobody shop finish a weld job where you used the exhaust clamps. I would then order a muffler online from a site such as
www.summitracing.com www.carparts.comfor universal mufflers
These links below have direct catbacks for 4th gens
www.warpspeedperformance.com
www.cattmanperformance.com
www.frankencar.com
www.custommaxima.com
Old 01-07-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ewuzh
http://www.lssexhaust.com/

(That's Budget's website. Contact info is there).
Everything looks nice there.at LSS so what is a resonator and should i get one? also should i geta muffler from there too? that way I'll be getting a nice b-pipe and muffler?
Thanks man for your help, I was clueless
jeff
Old 01-07-2005, 05:13 PM

YES! Get the resonated version. I cannot imagine how loud a straight pipe would be. The resonator is the long muffler-type-thing on the straight piece of pipe. vvvvv

The Budget B-Pipe is very nice. Just don't expect any exhaust piece to bolt right up. They had to shorten mine a little to fit, but it turned out awesome and not much $$$ either.

Here is a pic the night before it went on my car:

And an installed pic:

http://www.v6atlanta.com/max_vids/ma...25_Catback.jpg
Old 01-07-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ScarfaceTHX
YES! Get the resonated version. I cannot imagine how loud a straight pipe would be. The resonator is the long muffler-type-thing on the straight piece of pipe. vvvvv

The Budget B-Pipe is very nice. Just don't expect any exhaust piece to bolt right up. They had to shorten mine a little to fit, but it turned out awesome and not much $$$ either.

Here is a pic the night before it went on my car:

And an installed pic:

http://www.v6atlanta.com/max_vids/ma...25_Catback.jpg
Thanks so much man, for showing me a pic of the pipe and after install. could you tell me exactly what you ordered so I know what the hell I'm talking about when I call? And is your Max loud or quiet ona scale of 1-10. thanks again
Jeff
Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 PM

Just order a resonated b-pipe from budget. It will include all the bolts, gaskets, etc.

A shop will have to install it, but that is the only way to go especially if you are replacing the entire cat-back. The guys at the shop said budget bent the pipe in all the correct places, but said that they needed to shorten it by an inch to make everything fit perfect. Which is not unusual... pipes are a slim fit as it is without being manufactured by 5 different shops (warpspeed, nissan, budget, custom, magnaflow).

On a scale of 1-10 being stock to open header.... Maybe a 7? It is hard to convey how loud the car is with video.

But here you go: http://www.v6atlanta.com/max_vids/magnaflow/

Magnaflow 14827 SS muffler. It is loud at all rpms, but sounds pretty cool. It's not LOUD at idle, but it's a whole lot louder than stock.

Watch the vids if you are interested. The note of the exhaust will be very similar, but you need to hear it in person to get the whole effect.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by ScarfaceTHX
Just order a resonated b-pipe from budget. It will include all the bolts, gaskets, etc.

A shop will have to install it, but that is the only way to go especially if you are replacing the entire cat-back. The guys at the shop said budget bent the pipe in all the correct places, but said that they needed to shorten it by an inch to make everything fit perfect. Which is not unusual... pipes are a slim fit as it is without being manufactured by 5 different shops (warpspeed, nissan, budget, custom, magnaflow).

On a scale of 1-10 being stock to open header.... Maybe a 7? It is hard to convey how loud the car is with video.

But here you go: http://www.v6atlanta.com/max_vids/magnaflow/

Magnaflow 14827 SS muffler. It is loud at all rpms, but sounds pretty cool. It's not LOUD at idle, but it's a whole lot louder than stock.

Watch the vids if you are interested. The note of the exhaust will be very similar, but you need to hear it in person to get the whole effect.

Hey, thanks for the vids, I did listen to them and it sounds like it may be a bit too loud for me, so maybe a different muffler.
Thanks again for your replys.
Jeff