4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air Bag Light Blinking - How do I diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 06:23 AM

Air Bag Light Blinking - How do I diagnose?

My air bag light greeted me this morning like it always does... but then it kept blinking. I looked through the last few weeks of posts, but only found one post that indicated pulling a fuse would stop the blinking light. How do I diagnose this problem & fix it?? If I need new air bags, could you recommend a reasonably priced source?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Red96MaxSE
My air bag light greeted me this morning like it always does... but then it kept blinking. I looked through the last few weeks of posts, but only found one post that indicated pulling a fuse would stop the blinking light. How do I diagnose this problem & fix it?? If I need new air bags, could you recommend a reasonably priced source?
I feel that I am an expert with this subject, because mine first went on about 2 years ago. Currently, it has been off for at least 5 months (Knock on wood)--believe it or not, I have not moved the position of my seat in this time, because I would find that moving the seat set it off.

My theory is something is intermittently wrong with the side air bag--when that thing goes wrong, it trips the lamp. The lamp can NEVER go off without the computer going into diag. mode. BUT, even if it's in diag mode, if the problem is there, it blinks the error code at you. So two things have to happen--the computer must go into diag mode, AND the problem has to be cleared up. The latter is what I don't understand, but from my observation, cold weather and moving the seat around seems to cause a problem.

Anyway, to put your computer into diag mode, you sit in your driver's seat with the door open, and your key off. Turn your key to on, and then press the switch for the dome light fast, 5-7 times in a row. You should now see the airbag lamp blink a code at you. Drive your car normally and hopefully the lamp will turn off--it wont always do that. sometimes it goes from diag to the steady blink, so repeat the process. I would say that if the lamp never goes away, maybe you do have a real problem. But based on all the people here I think it is a Nissan defect. Just remember, even if you get the lamp to turn off, every time you restart the car, the computer checks the airbag--that's why I believe that when the lamp stays off, everything is functioning ok. You don't have side air bags on yours, that's why I don't know what your problem could be. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the help, Frank. I tried to get it into diag mode, but it doesn't seem to be working. I tried the dome light & the map light w/ the ignition in the on position. The door was open, I operated the light quickly, but the air bag light kept blinking. It wasn't a code, just a constant even blinking.

Any other ideas on how to get it into diag mode?
Old 01-08-2005, 06:29 PM

Never mind. I just got it to work. Thanks!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:45 PM

Can you tell us how you got it to work? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

at first, excuse me for my bad english.

i had the same problem. the airbag light kept blinking.
i have tryed to put the computer in diag mode, then it blinks some error code, but the problem persist. the air bag lamp was still blinking.

after reading the post from Frank Fontaine i inspected all cables and connectors under the driver seat. i have disconnected and then reconnected all cables.
then i have tryed the diag- procedure again and....

... it worked!!!!

the airbag light is off.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:01 PM

It was actually quite easy once I re-read Frank's post. I was turning on the dome light w/ the switch on the ceiling & the map light w/ the button. This was totally wrong!! Instead, I pressed the button on the door jamb (that is covered in a rubber boot) to get it into diag mode. I turned the key to "on" & pressed it about 7 times. My air bag light began blinking in a slow controlled pattern. Once I shut the door & turned on the car, it stopped blinking. Since then, I've had no problems.

If that doesn't work, you might have a problem w/ your air bag. Hope that helps.