4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sevice Engine Soon Light is on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sevice Engine Soon Light is on?

I just bought a 99 Maxima, super nice, 35x miles. I had it for about 2 weeks, and my Sevice Engine Soon Light is on. Any ideas? or should I take it in errrrr. Car runs fine.... Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Unless it is blinking, you can drive it so some more miles w/o much worry. If it is blinking that means there is a major problem.

Check the stickys to see how you can check the ECU, or you can spend some money at the shop. I always thought that was a taking it to the shop for an ECU was a waste of money. $75 for such an easy thing. Sometimes the CEL is a fluke and it just needs to be reset.

Advice, check the code, reset it. Drive around and if the CEL comes back check again then fix what is wrong.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I printed out the test stuff from Sticky..... When I poked a hole through the sticker, I could not see any slot screw?? nothing there to turn?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:21 AM

AutoZone checks for free
Old 01-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Sounds like a time factor, i.e. age of car as opposed to mileage. It usually turns on at around 55-65k and indicates an EVAP problem. Since you say you've had the car for only 2 weeks, there's a possiblility that the previous owner reset the ECU so the lamp was off when you bought the car.

I tried doing that and the lamp would eventually come back, and eventually it came back right away. You should be able to drive for a while with the lamp on. What will eventually happen is you'll have a hard time starting the car after it's been running or warmed up. The EVAP, valve assy., and boost sensor fail which trips that light. Some people on the forum say you can clean the assy., but I am one that doesn't believe it--I spent 3 hours trying to do so. The dealer told me the part needs to be replaced as it leaks some of the fumes back into the environment and it's not a matter of cleaning (as if it were clogged). Dealer price is in the mid $400's, it's nice to have a coupon for that job.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by adithius
Unless it is blinking, you can drive it so some more miles w/o much worry. If it is blinking that means there is a major problem.

Check the stickys to see how you can check the ECU, or you can spend some money at the shop. I always thought that was a taking it to the shop for an ECU was a waste of money. $75 for such an easy thing. Sometimes the CEL is a fluke and it just needs to be reset.

Advice, check the code, reset it. Drive around and if the CEL comes back check again then fix what is wrong.
blinking is a major problem? i was driving and the check engine light was blinking..lol but it went off later...so iono....maybe my rpm was too high on the gear...

yea, check the ECU thread
Old 01-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tbluest
I printed out the test stuff from Sticky..... When I poked a hole through the sticker, I could not see any slot screw?? nothing there to turn?
Underneath the sticker, on the left side of the ecu, you'll see a 1/4" circular opening with a screw in it. There's only one of these circular openings. Just turn that one with a flat head screwdriver, and be careful not to turn it too much.

It shouldn't be that hard at all.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The thing is, I think I busted the screw, when I pop through the sticker. There is NO Screw present?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by tbluest
The thing is, I think I busted the screw, when I pop through the sticker. There is NO Screw present?
Same with my 99SE-L. Mine, and likely yours, has the infamous Cali ECU that you/we can not use the common "tweaks" on. We gotta buy a scantool, visit the local Nissan stealer, or hope for an Autozone in the area that can OBD-it for free.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will try AutoZone and let yeah know..... Thanks for you help....
Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 AM

errr....i reset my ECU on my 99 cali spec all the time......
Old 01-10-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by nfafan
Same with my 99SE-L. Mine, and likely yours, has the infamous Cali ECU that you/we can not use the common "tweaks" on. We gotta buy a scantool, visit the local Nissan stealer, or hope for an Autozone in the area that can OBD-it for free.
Is that true? I have CA emissions as my car was purchased in NY. The label says not to go beyond the stop. CA emissions is also on cars purchased in NY, NJ, MA, CT, ME, VT, and RI. So now the term is Cali and Northeast cars. If you pop the hood and your sticker says "50 States" you don't have Cali specs. Still, you can't turn the screw past a certain point without force on the CA car.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by nfafan
Eh? I bought my 99 when all the 2000s were out. Probably one of the last 99SEs to sell, and I have no problem resetting my ecu with a screwdriver. And yes, I am in California and have the Cali Exhaust junk. You should have no problems using a screwdriver.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:52 AM

Maybe my 99 has the DIYGotscrewed ECU?

Well - guess you guys got lucky with the ECU on your 99.
I didn't make this up, it's been mentioned on this very message board how certain/most/many 99's got the ECU that can not be reset or tested manually.
There is no screw to turn. No switch, no button, nuthin.

IIRC, it has been referred to as the Y2k ECU. I'm guessing they ran out of 98-99 style ECUs or went "all Cali spec" for manufacturing commenality when the Y2ks were intro'd.

If your ECU has the screw and you can run the on-board diags and resets, your'e in better shape than many of us with 99s.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

NOTE. I took mu 99 GLE to Advance Auto Parts, and they hooked up a tester under the driver dash, and pulled my Service Enigne Soon code for me ( FREE ). They then printed the errer ( O2 Sensor ). They then reset the light. I will drive it for awhile, if it does not come back on, oh well.... but if it does, they told be to bring it back, and they will re-test.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:25 AM

You may soon be in the same boat I'm in.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=362801

See also:
http://www.jatan.net/02Sensor1.jpg

The Nissan stealer reset the code ($75.00 diag fee - local Advance has no scan tool, no local Autozones...) and it popped on after 2 weeks.
I need to replace the Bank 2, Sensor 2 O2 sensor. Stealer wanted $350.00 to do the job. Now all I have to do is figure out exactly where it is, and if I can get to it. This will be the 4th O2 sensor replaced since I bought the car new in May of 99. At least I don't have the ign coil-pack problem - yet.

Good luck!