4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trans Leak Question - 97 Max

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 AM

Trans Leak Question - 97 Max

This is my first post here, and I'm not too car savvy... I just bout a 97 SE and I'm tryin to learn all I can about it. I have a few questions.
1. When I start my car, the engine will sometimes rev/squeel for a second as the rpm's jump to about 2. Anyone have this problem or know what it is and what to do? My mechanic said something about the starter.

2. My mechanic also said that I have a tranny leak by the rear axl. I guess my question is what exactly will this do to my car. I have to do a lot of driving in the next few weeks, so how bad is it to drive with a tran. leak? I plan on getting it fixed before 1st week of Feb cuz I dont have time now. And is a trans. leak of this nature something that I could fix by myself? (basically not knowing much, but willing to read/find out anything i need to know)

3. And one more thing...sometimes when I goto shift into 2nd gear, I really have to give it a pull cuz it doesn't always go in smoothly...anyone else have this problem or know what it is and is it something to worry about. Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Do you have a 5spd or Auto?

1. The squeel could be your belts. It might be your starter, but I think that noise is more of a grinding noise.

2. I don't know what the rear axle is. But if you have an axle leak, it is most likely an indication of another problem. If you have a 5spd, I'd say you might have a bearing failure. As for driving w/the leak: I guess it's ok to drive on it as long as you stay on top of the fluid; how bad is the leak?

3. I'll wait until you tell me if it's a 5spd or an auto before fully answering this one. You might be dangerously low on fluid causing this difficulty.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:24 AM

My car is a 5 speed.

One of my friends said its prob. something to do with the bearing. My only concern is that I am going to be putting prob 1000-2000 miles on my car in the next 3 weeks. Is it a bad idea to drive that much assuming it is the bearing? And if i do get it fixed, how much do oyu think it should cost me? thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 09:25 AM

And while I'm here, what exactly does bearing failure mean. Im somewhat new to this stuff and i really dont know exactly what the bearings do and all that.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok...a 5spd with an axle seal leak most likely indicates a failed differential bearing; this is common on these transmissions. You can drive it for a while, if you don't mind topping off the fluid every now and again. You will need to get this fixed, or just replace the tranny.

If you keep driving it, eventually the bearing will completely fail, causing the gear oil to dump all over the road. Your transmission will then proceed to heat up and melt itself.

There's a chance it's not your bearings, and only an axle seal. It'll take a new axle seal, some gear oil and time to find out. If you want to be sure, you can replace the seal; if the new one goes, it's your bearings.

If your bearings are shot, you have a few choices:
a. Get the bearings replaced (and shimmed properly)
b. Get a used tranny and hope those bearings last a while
c. Buy a different car :P

I've heard the transmissions for the 2k/2k1 Maximas didn't have the diffy bearing problem, but don't quote me on that.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:48 AM

thanks for the help... i think i remember reading on teh FAQ section or some other sticky here that the bearings were a common problem with gen. 4. Ill check up on it.