4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

problems with heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:22 PM

problems with heat

after car is warmed up the heat works fine except for when i let the car idle.

even though the temp gauge is in the "normal" part of the rangei get no heat if i am at idle. as soon as i hit the gas and start driving the heat will kick in.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:37 PM

Hey, what's up ? Change your thermostat. And DO NOT get one from anywhere but Nissan! I bought one from Autozone for my 93Max, and the POS lasted 6 mos. What do you expect for $10. Get one from Nissan, it will cost about $20., and will last years!!! Do it once, do it right.
Good luck
ttyl
Jeff
Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having the exact same problem right now. Check the level of your anti-freeze. Mine was low so I refilled it and changed the thermostat as well. After two weeks my coolant level dropped again and the same heat problem occured. I have a leak in my coolant system, I just haven't found it yet.

Good Luck
Old 01-13-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by wberner
I am having the exact same problem right now. Check the level of your anti-freeze. Mine was low so I refilled it and changed the thermostat as well. After two weeks my coolant level dropped again and the same heat problem occured. I have a leak in my coolant system, I just haven't found it yet.

Good Luck
initially i wanted to change the thermostat, but the last time i looked my coolant level was low. (will check in the morning) i was concearned that i may have a unseen coolant leak. in the morning if it isnt too cold i will inspect the coolant hoses and the base of the radiator for a leak. after that the only other thing could be a head gasket. so i will watch the exhaust and check for the "sweet" smell.

on a side note my mothers Town & Country minivan had a bad thermostat and exibited similar symptoms. it would warm up but there was no heat at all. we would have to refill the radiator and resevoir every 3-4 days. turns out that when the coolant was hot the increaded pressure would make it leak right at the T-stat housing. i am hoping for this scenario.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:15 AM

well it turns out that my water pump is bad. so i am just gonna replace both the water pump and the thermostat.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:45 AM
I still miss the max

i have a problem with my heat as well, figure i'll go ahead and psot it here as well...
when my heater is off and the cars been warmed up for a while, it will still blow heat throught the front floor vents, it's not bad right now cuz it's been cold lately but when spring and summer hit it's gonna be horrible... if anyone has any idea what it might be, i'd love to know
Old 01-22-2005, 11:03 AM

I exprience that too, usually at high speeds (traveling) if I turn off the A/C I can feel the air blowing on my toes.

I believe this is a natural thing all cars do, check and see but if you turn on your ac just push the auto button and if its set to blow air to your feet, that could be why, air will come it, just that its set to your feet to thats where it goes. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

or if you have manual climate just move it from the feet setting to maybe the windscreen or something.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I exprience that too, usually at high speeds (traveling) if I turn off the A/C I can feel the air blowing on my toes ... I believe this is a natural thing all cars do....
Most cars, at least. The vents are still open, so some air will still pass through even if your climate control is off. Change the mode to avoid it (like front defrost or front defrost/lower vents).
Old 01-22-2005, 06:44 PM

That also happens in my car, my brothers cars and my friend's car just direct the air somewhere were it is not in your way. (press the feet button if it fogs up your window when it is raining.)