4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wiring in a toggle switch to the Harlan RPM switch and MEVI

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Wiring in a toggle switch to the Harlan RPM switch and MEVI

I've gotten a lot of emails as of late asking how I wired in an inline toggle switch so I could control the MEVI switchover incase the Harlan switch flaked out.

*Disclaimer- I take no responsibility for any damage done to your car by miswiring and anything else of that nature. User beware. For whatever reason, this setup WILL NOT work with the Summit RPM switch.*

Parts needed:

Drill
Toggle switch
Wire crimpers
Female wire connecters
Double sided 3M tape
Decent wire
Solder gun/solder
14mm socket and rachet
Electrical tape

1) On the Harlan switch, find the wire that activates the ground for the MAP/Baro switch (which in turn activates the vacuum and ultimately opens the butterfly valves). Expose this wire and tap into it with the wire and solder it.

2) Drill a hole big enough to run the two wires up through the cupholder in the console. This is where I mounted my toggle switch.

3) Take the wire you soldered in to the Harlan switch and run it to the console cupholder and through the hole you drilled. Hide the wire.

4) Take the rachet/socket and loosen the front right side driver's seat bolt a little. Take a wire and place it in the gas between the bolt and seat rail. This will serve as the ground for the toggle switch. Then run this wire through the console and the hole you drilled.

5) You should have two wires coming through the console. One wire from the RPM switch and one wire from seat. Take the wire crimpers and crimp on two female wire connecters and connect them to the toggle switch.

6) Take the double sided tape and mount the switch to the console. Protect all exposed wire points with the electrical tape.

Now you should have full control of your switchover and can bypass the Harlan RPM switch at any time. I ran this setup for 1.5 years with no problems.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thank you..I will be doing this soon...Hopfully this weekend

-matt