4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tracking down short/bad ground

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 09:01 AM

Tracking down short/bad ground

It would seem that something is draining my battery. The alt and charging system checked out fine. I have a nice system in the car, but have disconnected the main power lead at the battery. I am pulling the fuses before the cap. Any other suggestions on how to track the short/ground down? I could have the shop do it, after I get a jump, but wanna save the money. If worse comes to worse, I could just let it sit till Spring.

Lovejoy
Old 01-17-2005, 12:13 PM

How long ago did you install the system? When you pulled the main power lead does the battery still drain?

Look at all the bulbs. A blown bulb can cause a short sometimes. I had something similar happen during christmas time. It turned out that a wire was being sliced in my trunk lid.--- took me weeks to figure out. I was blowing tail light fuses.

Here's what I'd do. Hook up a voltmeter to the battery. Make sure its 12 volts with the engine off. Then start up the car. Make sure its 14.4 volts (+ or - 1volt).

Then shut the car off. Some shops have a little meter that can show if there's an open circuit anywhere. If you can get one of these you might be in luck.

If not, look over the ENTIRE car for any bulb that might be left on. Change any blown bulb. Sometimes alarm systems get shorts inside and they drain the battery. You might want to disconnect your alarm for a few days. See if the battery still drains.

Aside from that it could be anything and everything. Might even be a bad battery. Start simple.

I hope this gives you a start. These things are pains in the ***
Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 PM

The system is about 5 years old. When it was done, I made sure it was done right, and has never let me down, and never had a problem. I will check out the lights and fuses to see if they are ok, when it gets a little warmer. I will pick up a meter from ratshack. Thanks for the info!

Lovejoy