4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Guage LED's

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Igobuk
Yes, you can use 194 bulbs in 98-99 clusters but you will need a little modding to get them to work, not simple plug and play, but not a difficult mod from what I've read.
if you could remember where you found that, can you pm me the url? thanks in advance
Old 01-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Shift_custom

does any body have pics of the 4LED wedge bulbs in amber installed in the gauge cluster..
Old 01-22-2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
not having a 98+ so I wouldnt know but what the hell is wrong with the #74s?
The 194 bulbs and the 74 bulbs are different sizes.

The 194 is a bit larger so to fit it into the newer cluster will require some fiddling with the socket and contact points and if using a regular bulb (instead of an LED bulb) you also have to be careful not to let the bulb touch anything as it could melt the plastic.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:36 AM

Hey guess what bro!! Nail polish remover worked!!

Originally Posted by pavelsmax
i heard you could use nail polish remover never tried it but if you do you have to make sure to not get any on your gauges... i have had my needles off twice now and it was no big deal

I finally got my gauge rings and I was hoping the next day my reverse indiglo gauges would arrive, but on that same day I was refunded because they didn't have any in stock (ebay). Anyways after I got the email I decided ah what the heck I'll just put the gauge rings on today and see if that nail polish remover tactic works. Well with the gauge ring's plastic it came in I decided to put it under the needle so that it wouldn't spill or rub onto the gauge face. I used a Q-Tip and stroked the underside of the needles about 5 times each and baaam it was clear! Also I guess it was wet at the moment when I believed it was "perfectly" clear but once it dried some parts of the needles were foggy looking. So when I receive my LEDs I'll redo it once again.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:09 AM

It was mentioned that to make the LEDs spread light better such as WLED you should sand them correct? Does anyone have a before/after picture or have a write up of what/where you sand the LEDs? I'm thinking sanding them so the top of the LEDs are flat and not round...
Old 01-24-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by illmortal
It was mentioned that to make the LEDs spread light better such as WLED you should sand them correct? Does anyone have a before/after picture or have a write up of what/where you sand the LEDs? I'm thinking sanding them so the top of the LEDs are flat and not round...
LoL, you only sand them a tiny bit. Just to nick up the glass so the light is spread evenly throughtout the gauges in its output. It would be impossible to sand a round LED into a flat top. That's like sayin you're gonna sand the bottom of a Pepsi 2-Liter bottle until the bottom is flat and round like a cylinder. You can't, there's only so much plastic before you hit the inside of the bottle, then you have a giant spill.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
LoL, you only sand them a tiny bit. Just to nick up the glass so the light is spread evenly throughtout the gauges in its output. It would be impossible to sand a round LED into a flat top. That's like sayin you're gonna sand the bottom of a Pepsi 2-Liter bottle until the bottom is flat and round like a cylinder. You can't, there's only so much plastic before you hit the inside of the bottle, then you have a giant spill.

Ohhh roflmao haha I gotcha... so just use a tough grit?... Coarse not fine/medium correct? I'm trying to put deep groves onto/into the LEDs.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:35 PM

Actually, you don't even need a tough grit but if that's all you have then there's no reason to go out and buy more just use that then. On my first project I used Aluminum Oxide which is a pretty fine sandpaper and I just roughed up the edges and it came out fine, so no need for deep grooves either. Deep grooves might REALLY distort the light and make it worse. The blue looked good too, but I decided to switch the color to a Bright White with Polarg M4 HyperWhites.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:27 PM

i have used both fine and tough grit on my leds and fine grit looks a lot nicer i just ruff the top and sides up to give the leds a cloudy look and when illuminated this spreads the light nicely... i'm not sure what the leds from superbrightleds look like i got a red inverted tip for my auto shifter when i had a red interior and it wasnt bright enuff for me.... i imagine you can ruff the 4 and 6 led clusters up just like i ruff my single leds up
Old 01-24-2005, 08:40 PM

leds leave "hot spot"...just use some normal blue painted "xenon" bulbs....worked for me....
Old 01-25-2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Max_N_Action
leds leave "hot spot"...just use some normal blue painted "xenon" bulbs....worked for me....

No I understand that, and I'm sure many others do too but LED's are brighter and not only that I want "true" blue colored lights not blue painted bulbs that when lit up it's only bright white.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No I understand that, and I'm sure many others do too but LED's are brighter and not only that I want "true" blue colored lights not blue painted bulbs that when lit up it's only bright white.
unless you do a custom LED install, plug in LED bulbs will not work well. They are too directional.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:30 AM

the best way is to custom mount single leds behind your gagues.... id suggest 25 or more evenly spaced throughout the back of the cluster... you can drill into the white plastic to mount them or hot glue them throughout the inside and just wire them back to where the stock bulbs should be
Old 01-25-2005, 07:39 AM

the best way is to custom mount single leds behind your gagues.... id suggest 25 or more evenly spaced throughout the back of the cluster... you can drill into the white plastic to mount them or hot glue them throughout the inside and just wire them back to where the stock bulbs should be

Hehe, Actually I was going to add 2 LEDs per gauge bulb, then add 1 LED per needle, I beleive that should do the trick. The only other concern I have is how do I make the turn signals on the gauges blue?... They light up green and I've seen a couple cars in here with the blue LEDs in their turn signals.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hehe, Actually I was going to add 2 LEDs per gauge bulb, then add 1 LED per needle, I beleive that should do the trick. The only other concern I have is how do I make the turn signals on the gauges blue?... They light up green and I've seen a couple cars in here with the blue LEDs in their turn signals.
if you put a blue led behind it, it will light up blue
Old 01-25-2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by geo1317
if you put a blue led behind it, it will light up blue
Oh... I thought because of the "green" plastic it wouldn't look blue... but thanks! I can't wait till I get my LEDs!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:17 PM

i almost forgot about auto shifter. is that 194?

Max_N_Action, what is hot spot? does it mean burn spot?

i have used both fine and tough grit on my leds and fine grit looks a lot nicer i just ruff the top and sides up to give the leds a cloudy look and when illuminated this spreads the light nicely... i'm not sure what the leds from superbrightleds look like i got a red inverted tip for my auto shifter when i had a red interior and it wasnt bright enuff for me.... i imagine you can ruff the 4 and 6 led clusters up just like i ruff my single leds up
Old 01-26-2005, 01:35 PM

you can try that i did it with red and it produced hot spots and wasnt bright enuff for me... although blue and white leds are a brighter color and my blues are a higher mcd too so it might work

post pics if it does

Old 01-26-2005, 01:42 PM
This is a democracy

so what is everyone using in their 98-99's? i know its the #74 bulb, but from superbrightleds.com, which ones are you getting?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:00 PM

hot spot are just spots of light in the guages that are brighter than other...the bulbs i have even distrubute the light.....the ones i pictured were in a 95 max...i have a 98....it sux because even if u put #74 bulbs in our they arent very bright cuz their so small....theres a rite up where it tells u how to put 194 in the newer 4th gens....should check that out
Old 01-26-2005, 02:10 PM
This is a democracy

ill search for that...but i wouldnt mine hotspots, its not that big of a deal, i just want brigher stock gauges...no color change, keep the white light with red needles, just want them brighter
Old 01-26-2005, 03:24 PM

hot spot are just spots of light in the guages that are brighter than other...the bulbs i have even distrubute the light.....the ones i pictured were in a 95 max...i have a 98....it sux because even if u put #74 bulbs in our they arent very bright cuz their so small....theres a rite up where it tells u how to put 194 in the newer 4th gens....should check that out

Actually if those are the gauges you have installed on your vehicles (on your signature) please please tell me how you did that... I'd like to have it similar as yours just incase the way I've explained isn't the best.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:26 PM

i have a 98....it sux because even if u put #74 bulbs in our they arent very bright cuz their so small....theres a rite up where it tells u how to put 194 in the newer 4th gens....should check that out
Actually I was going to attempt to install 1 LED per #74 bulb housing (the really small bulbs, smaller than 194s) and install 2 LEDs per 194 bulb housing.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:17 PM

well all you guys can get what you want. regular 194 bulbs will of course provide more light and evenly. led will just be crisper but viewing angle is a problem unless you could sand the sides and tip. i would def not get the single led bulbs. AT LEASt 4led per bulb or the 6led per bulbs.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:29 PM

just play around, u can always return them
Old 01-26-2005, 06:33 PM

yea ive seen leds on the org before and they do look good....however...the bulbs i got were like 1.50 each instead of like 5 or 6 bucks each...i didnt the guages in my signature but i photoshopped them a lol bit....there is and actual picture not retouched a few pages earily....if u have a98 or 99, i would put the 194s and fit them in using a the writeup that someone made....
Old 01-26-2005, 06:38 PM

word of advice, don't ever buy LEDS at radio shack. BIG *SS RIP OFF!!!
i believe there about little over $4 for one blue led rated only at 1300mcd.

i made a complaint about it and got 2 $10 gift certificate but still didn't make me feel better about radio shack
Old 01-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok, got the 70's installed today.....i'm not really satisfied. They look blue when in the guages, are not very bright, and have slight hot spots per bulb. There are prob better lighting options out there, but for us 98-99, I think LED is prob the best bet for us
Old 01-27-2005, 06:47 AM

yea ive seen leds on the org before and they do look good....however...the bulbs i got were like 1.50 each instead of like 5 or 6 bucks each...i didnt the guages in my signature but i photoshopped them a lol bit....there is and actual picture not retouched a few pages earily....if u have a98 or 99, i would put the 194s and fit them in using a the writeup that someone made....

Oooh.. well I'll check that out, also I'm going to sand them, do I sand the LEDs until the whole bulb looks cloudy?... ah well, I'll figure out a way to spread out the light.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:56 AM

i think u just sand the tips...
Old 01-27-2005, 06:46 PM

so does anyone know the bulb size for the auto shifter?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:56 PM
sunten1

i believe it was stated earlier as 194

Old 01-27-2005, 07:13 PM

thanks buddy and thanks pavelsmax

Originally Posted by sunten1
i believe it was stated earlier as 194
Old 01-28-2005, 05:27 AM

i think u just sand the tips...
Thanks Max