4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting Problems I need your help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:49 AM

Starting Problems I need your help!!!!!

Problem: My clutch disc broke causing my car to die the only thing it would do is try to turn over.
I have a 98 max and after changing my clutch it gives a hard start especially when it’s cold. The original clutch pad also broke and was trapped behind the Flywheel
So Far I have changed the flywheel and installed a fidenza the car still hard starts. I purchased a new stock flywheel for the interrupter ring because I thought the interrupter ring on the original flywheel was bent or messed up. I installed the original stock flywheel to see if that was the problem. Still got the hard starting problem. I purchased a new crank sensor still got the starting problem. The only thing I haven’t changed out is the starter and that's because it turns over fine until it kills the battery. I need some help!!!!!!
I also notice if I give short stokes on the ignition sometimes it starts right up.
Taking the car to the dealer would be my last resort.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:09 PM

i had the same problem i just got i fixed

i was my clutch assembly.. after i got it changed everything was still loose, causing it to miss fire.,. youve got to make sure everything is tight around the bell housing

the dealer tightened everything up and now it starts up like new
Old 02-19-2005, 06:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I know this may sound crazy but clean the mating surfaces of the bell housing and the engine block. It helps maintain a strong signal from the crank sensor. Scuff up the edges with light sand paper and make sure no grease is present.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:41 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I'd suspect the Crank Position Sensor... I had the same hard-start issue after doing the clutch replacement in mine. It was a while ago so I'm not totally sure, but ISTR it is a magnetic sensor that picks up signals form a toothed wheel, and it had a bunch of metal filings and crap on it. I removed the sensor, cleaned it the face and the mounting surface... Fixed me right up.

I wonder if it's possible to use a multimeter with a tach input signal (not automotive tach!) to check for correct signal. I used this when trouble the rpm input to my Summit RPM switch on the MEVI and I was able to see that the rpm signal was nnot reaching the swtich - after fixing the bad wiring I could see the signal as a Hz readout on the multimeter. Just an idea...
Old 10-21-2005, 06:11 PM

I've tried every thing and still have this starting issue is there anyone out there on the ORG who can help me put this problem to bed. I really love the maxima and I'm not ready to part from it but really and truley this is becoming a pain and My next option is selling.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 PM

used to have hard starts until I put a new starter in. Its smooth as butter.

How old is your current starter? Rather than buying a new one, re-greasing should do just as good a job, at a fraction of the price.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:40 PM

I feel you man! I just started a thread about this. I have the same hard problems. I have to keep the key @ start option for like 15 secs b4 it starts. It pisses me off cause the battery and the starter are both going. This also started to happen when i put a brand new tranny in. I just got my car back 4 days ago and trying to fix this b4 something else goes wrong...
Old 10-25-2005, 06:03 PM

Can the flywheel be too tight? I notice sometimes when I crank the starter seems to lock and nothing will turn over. I put the car in 1st gear and push a little and then try again and it will start to crank again. But still with a hard start. I also put some Top Engine Cleaner (Intake & Carburetor cleaner) and the car would start a little better for a while.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Is there anyone out there who have experienced this problem before or know someone who can help me figure out the problem with my car.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:32 PM

ya i had some of the same symptoms occure. my max is in the shop now getting checked out, but so far the tech told me that my "hi flo" cat may be clogged...ok maybe cause i did run sea-foam thru w/o reading all the directions first but i dont think that is IT. although that clutch info was new to me thanks, now if I can just get it to stop slipping when my car does run, or buy a 5th gen clutch -
Old 12-17-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by tuner001
ya i had some of the same symptoms occure. my max is in the shop now getting checked out, but so far the tech told me that my "hi flo" cat may be clogged...ok maybe cause i did run sea-foam thru w/o reading all the directions first but i dont think that is IT. although that clutch info was new to me thanks, now if I can just get it to stop slipping when my car does run, or buy a 5th gen clutch -
Are you boosted???
Old 04-14-2006, 06:44 PM

Car is up for sale