4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does anyone have a write-up on or know how to replace a PCV valve and/or EGR valve...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 07:32 AM

First I tried the search feature and no results. Secondly I know the pcv valve should last the life of the car and at best may only need to be removed and cleaned.
With that out of the way I got my hands on a free pcv valve. I would like to install it, I recently passed the 100k mark and performed a mini-tune up consisting of new plugs and fuel-filter last weekend. Amongst free things, (its nice to have a friend that works at a Nissan dealer) I got a new egr valve. Does anyone have a write-up procedure on how to replace these??? Or just have any tips or pointers in regards to changing these valves???

Any advice would be greatly apreciated!
Old 04-26-2001, 07:43 AM

PCV valve

Originally posted by 2ndMAX
First I tried the search feature and no results. Secondly I know the pcv valve should last the life of the car and at best may only need to be removed and cleaned.
With that out of the way I got my hands on a free pcv valve. I would like to install it, I recently passed the 100k mark and performed a mini-tune up consisting of new plugs and fuel-filter last weekend. Amongst free things, (its nice to have a friend that works at a Nissan dealer) I got a new egr valve. Does anyone have a write-up procedure on how to replace these??? Or just have any tips or pointers in regards to changing these valves???

Any advice would be greatly apreciated!
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. This is a pollution control device, and it is a good one because it is inexpensive, seldom fails, and does not detract from engine power.

The people who sell oil changes also sell PCV valves. They make a nice profit on PCV valves, and encourage their customers to replace them frequently. In my experience many PCV valves last for the life of the car.

The PCV valve is located near the throttle body. For a good photo, go to
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/60k_service.html
Scroll down to Step 6, PCV Valve. Click on the thumbnail for an enlarged image.

You may test a PCV valve by removing it from the engine and shaking it. If you feel and hear the shuttle rattling around, the valve is still good. If no rattle, soak it in solvent for 20 minutes. If still no rattle, replace it.

Trace the path taken by the blowby which exits the engine through the PCV valve. It goes through a short length of rubber hose, then through a steel tube, then another rubber hose, and then into the intake manifold. That steel tube is fastened to the intake manifold by two welded-on brackets, each having one 10mm bolt. Remove those two bolts and remove the spring-steel hose clamps at both ends of the steel tube. This will free the steel tube to move about, and you will find it easier to extract the PCV valve.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:58 AM

Re: PCV valve

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. This is a pollution control device, and it is a good one because it is inexpensive, seldom fails, and does not detract from engine power.

The people who sell oil changes also sell PCV valves. They make a nice profit on PCV valves, and encourage their customers to replace them frequently. In my experience many PCV valves last for the life of the car.

The PCV valve is located near the throttle body. For a good photo, go to
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megamax/60k_service.html
Scroll down to Step 6, PCV Valve. Click on the thumbnail for an enlarged image.

You may test a PCV valve by removing it from the engine and shaking it. If you feel and hear the shuttle rattling around, the valve is still good. If no rattle, soak it in solvent for 20 minutes. If still no rattle, replace it.

Trace the path taken by the blowby which exits the engine through the PCV valve. It goes through a short length of rubber hose, then through a steel tube, then another rubber hose, and then into the intake manifold. That steel tube is fastened to the intake manifold by two welded-on brackets, each having one 10mm bolt. Remove those two bolts and remove the spring-steel hose clamps at both ends of the steel tube. This will free the steel tube to move about, and you will find it easier to extract the PCV valve.
What about the EGR valve??? Any write-up procedures for that, is it an complicated procedure??? Thanks for your info thus far.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:05 AM

EGR valve

What about the EGR valve??? Any write-up procedures for that, is it an complicated procedure??? Thanks for your info thus far.
Suggested course of action...
- Buy a repair manual, or borrow one from your public library.
- Follow the instructions to test your EGR valve.
- Discover that it is good. Leave it alone.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:32 AM

Re: EGR valve

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Suggested course of action...
- Buy a repair manual, or borrow one from your public library.
- Follow the instructions to test your EGR valve.
- Discover that it is good. Leave it alone.
I'll check the Hanes manual this evening. Thanks anyway. I have 100k+ miles on my ride, got my hands on an egr and figured why not change it as preventative maintenance. Oh well I'll just saran wrap the box and store if for the dark day I'll need it. Whenever that may be.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:41 AM
Ramius83

Yeah, just get a Haynes manual, it is in there. I don't know about Chilton's though because that is not the good one. Good luck guy.

Old 04-26-2001, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: EGR valve

... I'll just saran wrap the box and store it ...
Your grandchildren will inherit it.