4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Huge Problem Please Help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 07:43 AM

Huge Problem Please Help!!!!!!

Okay so I am driving home today as i get my car goign i notice it dosent have the snappieness it usually has on the throttle so i am like ok maybe needs to warm up so then i go on a main road and give it some juice and barley i mean barley accelerates....then i go to smash on the gas and still the same thing barley accelerates....what is this and what could the problem be, i have a auto too....
Old 01-21-2005, 08:01 AM

no idea what it could be but my car did that same s*** lastnight some fruitball neon tried to come up revving so i thought id scare him by taking off a lil bit. all it was though was noise...talk about embaressing, i was thinking wtf happened now!?!? no idea though as it was fast thismorning again ???
Old 01-21-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by JaMdMax97
Okay so I am driving home today as i get my car goign i notice it dosent have the snappieness it usually has on the throttle so i am like ok maybe needs to warm up so then i go on a main road and give it some juice and barley i mean barley accelerates....then i go to smash on the gas and still the same thing barley accelerates....what is this and what could the problem be, i have a auto too....

You know what/!?!! that ****'s been happening to me after installed my stupid intake, it's only "quick" when it's a cold start before the engine warms up. I'm thinking of just getting a K&N panel filter and just drilling maybe 10 holes into the lower air box... At high speeds (80mph+) it has major power... but not on the street.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:23 AM

yea i just let mine sit for about a half hour and went back out ran it up the road and it was fine....what the hell is this.....!!!
Old 01-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Hooooooonda.....

knock sensor most likely
Old 01-21-2005, 11:57 AM

i got my ECU looked at i have 4 codes that came out.....i forgot the numbers...
Old 01-21-2005, 03:49 PM

Hey boys, I worked around cars all my life, since I was 15. I don't know if you guys realize how much the cold affects your car and how it runs. The is brutal on your engine. It has been in the single numbers all day here in the Northeast. I ran out 20 minutes before leaving work and let my run for that time, and she was smooth as ever. It has 106,000 miles on it. I watched like 10 other people come out get in, start, and immediately leave!! That's so bad for your car! I started my car once when it was like 3 degrees out and drove right away and it ran like a freakin' dog.
LET YOUR MAXS WARM UP GOOD WHEN ITS BEEN SITTING IN SUB-ZERO TEMPS ALL DAY.
You won't freeze your a$$ either.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the maxima does seem to get slower as you drive it over time as does any car...it's called heatsoak...you can mod your thermostat or do several other things to get your car to run cooler and get cooler intake air in....but some of you are describing problems which are more problem-matic like severe hesitation (TB/TPS, or coil packs)...some of you with mild hesitation is more like the intake setup you have or improperly gapped/old spark plugs

mine has done that on occasion recently where it makes a lot of noise like it is fine, but considerably less acceleration even in identical climate conditions...I think I just need to replace my injectors and coil packs...(I dynoed well, and my car feels fine typically, so this is definitely an intermittant problem)...so you have to look at what things on a car could potentially intermittantly fail...I am leaning more towards my coil packs or maybe even a fuel problem like the FPR/fuel pump...all of which I am replacing very soon...
Old 01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Chassis Freak

I'll suggest it because no one has: ECU (at least on automatics) has a "safe mode" supposedly. Maybe you triggered it.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by MAXIMABOY
Hey boys, I worked around cars all my life, since I was 15. I don't know if you guys realize how much the cold affects your car and how it runs. The is brutal on your engine. It has been in the single numbers all day here in the Northeast. I ran out 20 minutes before leaving work and let my run for that time, and she was smooth as ever. It has 106,000 miles on it. I watched like 10 other people come out get in, start, and immediately leave!! That's so bad for your car! I started my car once when it was like 3 degrees out and drove right away and it ran like a freakin' dog.
Really, cause every mechanin I've ever talked to said that cars are more efficient in cooler weayher.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Really, cause every mechanin I've ever talked to said that cars are more efficient in cooler weayher.
Yeah, COOLER weather, not 0 and below when all your fluids are as thick as hot fudge and nothing flows because everything is frozen or almost until your car warms up.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Chassis Freak

Yeah, COOLER weather, not 0 and below when all your fluids are as thick as hot fudge and nothing flows because everything is frozen or almost until your car warms up.

The engine keeps the entire engine bay plenty warm. Once the car is warmed up, the colder the better. This is why people have garages.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

you obviously dont know what your talking about. how you gonna warm up an engine without a load on it. your car is supposed to run at about 210 Degree's The hotter your engine is, the better it will run. i'm not saying that you should get in your car, and floor it, you could blow up your engine. i dont know why guys install thoes low temp thermostats, your lowereing the car's operating temperture. a cold engine is a bad engine. i could see why people want to lower the intake air temp, but why the thermostat? when you start up your car in cold weather, let it idle for 30 secs, and then drive. just keep it under 2500rpms and you'll be fine. if you let your car idle, and warm up slowly, the pistons are shaving little tiny pieces off the cylinder walls, and your wasting gas. a rich mixture is required to start a vehical. for thoes who have automatics, your car will seem to have a lot of power, but its just that the ATF fluid isnt warmed up yet.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:27 PM

I have no radiator fluid in my car i just checked today is that a problem with the process of warming up the car, it is below the minimal sign i dont know where it all went...??but could that be the problem
Old 01-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Do you have no fluid at all or just in the overfill reservoir? Open the radiator cap and check. Add fluid til it almost spills then fill up the reservoir to the max line.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Last time I checked, the fluids in most cars don't freeze or gunk up until -40* or even cooler. If the fluid froze at 0*, then there wouldn't be a car on the road all winter around here.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:27 PM

in the area where you poor i looked down it and there is no fluid in it at all and there are two lines on the side of the tub that says min, and max and there is nouthing in it a little fluid at the botton but im talking like less then a CM. of fluid...
Old 01-22-2005, 03:39 PM

I think you are talking about your overflow reservoir. I would definitely check your radiator and see if that is full, and if not, add some anti freeze. The overflow reservior should at least be filled to min line, although i doubt it will effect your engine's temp as long as the radiator is full. Do yourself a favor and go spend the couple of bucks for a bottle of antifreeze to top everything off. As far as cold weather driving, I let my car sit for at least 4-5 mins before driving it in the cold. I try to make it a habit not to drive the car until I see the temp guage start to move up.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:09 PM

what fluid do u use 2 fill up the radiator? ne other resivours i should check 2 fill up?
Old 01-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Well, if it's the radiator overflow container, you would add antifreeze. Depending on the amount of antifreeze that you may have to add to your radiator, you may want to mix 1/2 water and 1/2 antifreeze.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by VQuick
I'll suggest it because no one has: ECU (at least on automatics) has a "safe mode" supposedly. Maybe you triggered it.
Eh... how do you trigger/execute a safe mode on the ECU?...
Is there a site with that kind of information?! Cuz I sure as hell dont want to trigger it ><
Old 01-24-2005, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by killcrap
when you start up your car in cold weather, let it idle for 30 secs, and then drive. just keep it under 2500rpms and you'll be fine. if you let your car idle, and warm up slowly, the pistons are shaving little tiny pieces off the cylinder walls, and your wasting gas.

I dont get it?.. Sooo let it idle or not?
Old 01-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by illmortal
Eh... how do you trigger/execute a safe mode on the ECU?...
Is there a site with that kind of information?! Cuz I sure as hell dont want to trigger it ><
I think it's only supposed to come on if you have an accident or if you really do something bad to your car, but I don't really know since I have a 5-speed. But maybe it applies to 5-speeds too, who knows. Do a search on the Org for "safe mode".
Old 01-24-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus97MAX
I think you are talking about your overflow reservoir. I would definitely check your radiator and see if that is full, and if not, add some anti freeze. The overflow reservior should at least be filled to min line, although i doubt it will effect your engine's temp as long as the radiator is full. Do yourself a favor and go spend the couple of bucks for a bottle of antifreeze to top everything off. As far as cold weather driving, I let my car sit for at least 4-5 mins before driving it in the cold. I try to make it a habit not to drive the car until I see the temp guage start to move up.
Me too, and some say that you let your car idle for 30 sec and go, just don't beat it.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by killcrap
when you start up your car in cold weather, let it idle for 30 secs, and then drive. just keep it under 2500rpms and you'll be fine. if you let your car idle, and warm up slowly, the pistons are shaving little tiny pieces off the cylinder walls, and your wasting gas.
WHat? If that's the truth then wouldn't the pistons shave off the walls every single nanosecond the engine is running?