4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strut/Shock mount question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Strut/Shock mount question

I took my car to Wheel Works to get an alignment and wasn't surprised when they told me I needed additional work on my car... so here's what they quoted me...

Front Strut x2 - $279.98
Rear Strut x2 - $231.98
Upper Mount x4 - $291.52
Inner Tierod (for the front) x2 - $137.76
Install Front Mount/Strut - $235
Install Rear Mount/Strut - $235
Install Inner Tierod - $130
Totals = $1698.78 after tax for parts

I obviously told them I'll get back to them even though they said I really needed to get it fix as the front struts were really bad as well as the tierod. Told me to drive carefully...

So I went on ebay and got myself some struts. I can also get the inner tierod but the issue is w/ the upper mounts. Found a site where they sold only front STRUT mounts and rear SHOCK mounts. Now I only have a general idea of the differences between a strut and a shock but are the mounts the same?

Here are the strut and shock mounts:

http://rep.speedycarparts.com/parts/...rt=Strut+Mount

http://rep.speedycarparts.com/parts/...k+Mounting+Kit

Now both are them state things like I will have to reuse some parts as those are only the mounts.

My questions to you guys are:

Do I really need to get new mounts?
If so, can I order those mounts from the site even though the front state STRUT mounts and the rear state SHOCK mounts. Are there any differences between strut and shock mounts?

I'm asking because I save a considerable amount of money on parts (and tax for that matter) if I buy the parts online. Peep it:

KYB GR-2 full set of struts - $256.49
Inner Tierod x2 - $74.96
Front STRUT Mount x2 - $60.08
Rear SHOCK Mount x2 - $96.92
TOTAL = $1104.40

I'm pretty sure u all think the labor cost is killer which I think so too but I can't find a good shop in the bay area. Let me know if anyone has suggestions on shops and stuff. I already ordered the struts but I have set to order the tierods and mounts so I'd appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE input...
Old 01-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok, well we do have STRUTS in the front and SHOCKS in the rear; you'll know the difference when you see the parts off the car

ummm for the mounts, i need new ones in the front as well but the only ones i've been able to find are the OEM nissan ones from the dealer for like 45 a piece

I'm interested if these KYB ones are a good replacement

the GR-2 in my opinion is a good shock/strut.....they've been holding up on my 99 for about a year now and i'm riding S-techs
Old 01-23-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by A Flood99
ok, well we do have STRUTS in the front and SHOCKS in the rear; you'll know the difference when you see the parts off the car

ummm for the mounts, i need new ones in the front as well but the only ones i've been able to find are the OEM nissan ones from the dealer for like 45 a piece

I'm interested if these KYB ones are a good replacement

the GR-2 in my opinion is a good shock/strut.....they've been holding up on my 99 for about a year now and i'm riding S-techs
Yeh I saw pics of the parts. Thanks, I will place my order for the mounts. Now hopefully I'll find a cheaper shop by the weekend.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:24 PM

you can pretty much replace all those parts yourself minus the tierods

all you'll need is a spring compressor
Old 01-23-2005, 05:00 PM

in my opinion save the money and bring it 2 a mechanic becuase you will save yourself lots of problems in the long run. unless ur very mechanicaly inclinded and its not 0 degress like it is here in Long island
Old 01-23-2005, 05:07 PM

That shop is bending you over big time. You could get illumina's for less than what they quoted you for some probably pretty crappy shocks/struts.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Maxima Owner

u prolly dont need inner tie rod.....u can do struts with a friend in ur driveway..and strut mounts are like 25 bux a piece and u do them while u replace ur struts so their should be no additional labor.....so yea
Old 01-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Conecarver

I've heard the KYB mounts are stiffer then the OEM Nissan ones. Cattman for one doesn't reccommend them. And that's alot of money for repl a stock suspension. Have you considered salvage yards for the struts? Most offer a 90 or 180day warranty on stuff. I bought used front and rear struts complete with springs for like only $150 and they work fine.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
I've heard the KYB mounts are stiffer then the OEM Nissan ones. Cattman for one doesn't reccommend them. And that's alot of money for repl a stock suspension. Have you considered salvage yards for the struts? Most offer a 90 or 180day warranty on stuff. I bought used front and rear struts complete with springs for like only $150 and they work fine.
Damn... that's true... I forgot about the junkyards... and yes it's a lot of money in my opinion too and I seriously wanna get rid of the car but it's been through so much w/ me so I'm going to just drive it til it dies on me... the parts are fairly reasonably priced, it's the damn labor I'm getting raped on... damn, next time i gotta remember the junkyard... haha
Old 01-23-2005, 09:42 PM

UKyo, I just replaced all my struts and front strut mounts.

Here is what i payed:
4 Gabriel Shocks/Struts - $138 -- Ebay
2 front strut mounts - $97 -- Dealer
4 Dust boots - $36 -- Summit
Labor to install everything $120 By Tilley (he's about 165 miles away from NYC but DEFINETLY woth the drive).

so if the mechanic quoted you $470 just for labor to install struts which takes about 1-2 hours to install is simply ripping you off!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:54 PM

damn stuff is expensive there in US! i deal in parts here, genuine... and its waaaaay cheaper than that!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ukyo
I took my car to Wheel Works to get an alignment and wasn't surprised when they told me I needed additional work on my car... so here's what they quoted me...

Front Strut x2 - $279.98
Rear Strut x2 - $231.98
Upper Mount x4 - $291.52
Inner Tierod (for the front) x2 - $137.76
Totals = $1698.78 after tax for parts

I obviously told them I'll get back to them even though they said I really needed to get it fix as the front struts were really bad as well as the tierod. Told me to drive carefully...

So I went on ebay and got myself some struts. I can also get the inner tierod but the issue is w/ the upper mounts. Found a site where they sold only front STRUT mounts and rear SHOCK mounts. Now I only have a general idea of the differences between a strut and a shock but are the mounts the same?

Here are the strut and shock mounts:

http://rep.speedycarparts.com/parts/...rt=Strut+Mount

http://rep.speedycarparts.com/parts/...k+Mounting+Kit

Now both are them state things like I will have to reuse some parts as those are only the mounts.

My questions to you guys are:

Do I really need to get new mounts?
If so, can I order those mounts from the site even though the front state STRUT mounts and the rear state SHOCK mounts. Are there any differences between strut and shock mounts?

I'm asking because I save a considerable amount of money on parts (and tax for that matter) if I buy the parts online. Peep it:

KYB GR-2 full set of struts - $256.49
Inner Tierod x2 - $74.96
Front STRUT Mount x2 - $60.08
Rear SHOCK Mount x2 - $96.92
TOTAL = $1104.40

I'm pretty sure u all think the labor cost is killer which I think so too but I can't find a good shop in the bay area. Let me know if anyone has suggestions on shops and stuff. I already ordered the struts but I have set to order the tierods and mounts so I'd appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE input...
Tell them to kiss your a$$ on the strut mounts. You can use the same strut and shock mounts over again. Maybe you should replace the front strut bearings but that's it.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

There is rubber in the front mounts that could break. The rear mounts are just metal, there's really no way for them to break.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks all for your input. I'm definitely not going back to Wheel Works as that place is a franchise anyway so I figured they'd be ripping me off. I already order the struts/shocks from ebay so Imma just wait until they come and head to a few shops and see what they quote me for.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:40 PM

Why dont you go to Tom over in Jersey, hes in FT Lee, he does a complete suspension install for just over $100