4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No ABS, should i bother upgrading brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 07:57 PM
The original VQ...

No ABS, should i bother upgrading brakes?

I want to give my car a small brake upgrade.
SS brake lines, upgraded rotors and maybe calipers .

Some one told me since i dont have abs , a brake upgrade wont do much for me and not to waste my money.

Im thinking if 5th gen brakes would help me out, at least the rotors or the calipers if they fit . If not then maybe 300zx brakes.

What do you guys think i should do?
Old 01-24-2005, 04:55 AM
It's chrome alright...

Your brakes work like all brakes up to the point where ABS kicks in... whoever told you a brake upgrade wouldn't do much is a moron.

If you want upgraded brakes, get them, but do them for performance and don't just get slotted/x-drilled for looks.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:15 AM
The original VQ...

Im thinking SS lines and 5th gen rotors and calipers. Just not sure on the fitment ,cause 5th gens have abs and i dont?

do 5thgen brakes fit without a problem?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
Im thinking SS lines and 5th gen rotors and calipers. Just not sure on the fitment ,cause 5th gens have abs and i dont?

Why would you put 5th Gen parts on? They aren't any better than the 4th gen OEM parts.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if you want to change calipers, lines and rotors, go with the z32 caliper/rotor upgrade
Old 01-24-2005, 08:30 AM

4th gen brakes are horrible!! makes me wish i had ABS

Ant
Old 01-24-2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ny96max
4th gen brakes are horrible!! makes me wish i had ABS

Ant
ABS is handy but I feel a tad over rated. I'm glad I don't have ABS but some people can't live without them, to each his own I guess.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

ABS or no ABS won't be a big determining factor in the area of brake performance. I think a properly maintained brake system is pretty good. But if the 4-gen brakes has drawbacks, it's not the abs option. The problem with them is the smaller rotor size and small caliper. Having abs won't overcome these facts. ABS helps mostly in the wet/snowy conditions where keeping the brake on the edge of skidding w/o skidding is key. In these conditions, you aren't overwhelming the brake's capacity.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
ABS or no ABS won't be a big determining factor in the area of brake performance. I think a properly maintained brake system is pretty good. But if the 4-gen brakes has drawbacks, it's not the abs option. The problem with them is the smaller rotor size and small caliper. Having abs won't overcome these facts. ABS helps mostly in the wet/snowy conditions where keeping the brake on the edge of skidding w/o skidding is key. In these conditions, you aren't overwhelming the brake's capacity.
There is no disadvantage to ABS. No, they don't help to stop in lesser distance, nor do they resist fade any better. But they don't lock. Saying they are overrated is like saying you like DOS and Windows is overrated. just my .02 The only possible vehicles that don't have them are entry-level cars like Ford Fiesta or Sombrero or whatever it's called today, Geo metro, Hyundai Accent. You can't get any decent car without them, there is no "delete ABS" option available on a Porsche. Just so happens it was optional on Maxima, but not many Maximas did not have them. They were often the GXE's with the fixed mast or whip antenna. Since those cars sold for $16,995 brand-new in 98 and 99, I guess Nissan wanted to save what they could by omitting ABS brakes.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:11 PM
The original VQ...

it just weird for me cause i went from a 96 with abs to a 99 with no abs, i just got useto the abs.

I always thought 5thgen rotors were bigger and their calipers are better.

can someone gimmie some info on the z32 upgrade?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

Frank. You are preaching to the Choir here.

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
There is no disadvantage to ABS. No, they don't help to stop in lesser distance, nor do they resist fade any better. But they don't lock. Saying they are overrated is like saying you like DOS and Windows is overrated. just my .02 The only possible vehicles that don't have them are entry-level cars like Ford Fiesta or Sombrero or whatever it's called today, Geo metro, Hyundai Accent. You can't get any decent car without them, there is no "delete ABS" option available on a Porsche. Just so happens it was optional on Maxima, but not many Maximas did not have them. They were often the GXE's with the fixed mast or whip antenna. Since those cars sold for $16,995 brand-new in 98 and 99, I guess Nissan wanted to save what they could by omitting ABS brakes.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i've been working on my brake system the past few monthes

i added SS lines and have now replaced all the calipers with brand new ones....i can definitely notice some more stickiness with the new calipers compared to my old ones with 80K
Old 01-25-2005, 09:02 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Igobuk
ABS is handy but I feel a tad over rated. I'm glad I don't have ABS but some people can't live without them, to each his own I guess.
Because you can pump the brakes faster than a machine and ride the threshold on all 4 wheels better than ABS can regulate it to each individual tire?

What do you say, everyone? Let's turn this into another "I'm ignorant about ABS" thread
Old 01-25-2005, 09:34 AM

it just weird for me cause i went from a 96 with abs to a 99 with no abs, i just got useto the abs.

I always thought 5thgen rotors were bigger and their calipers are better.

can someone gimmie some info on the z32 upgrade?
The 5.5gen (2k2/3) rotors are bigger, thicker and the calipers are larger. The 2k/2k1's aren't.

LEMAR
Old 01-25-2005, 09:52 AM

there is only one disdivatage a slight weight increase in the car and the cost.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:07 AM
The original VQ...

i dont care about weight increase, i have chrome 19s and i need something that will help them come to a stop better, but i dont want to spend $1000 on a brake kit.

some people dont realize how important brakes are till one day you have smoke coming from your wheels and your brake pedal feels like jello.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

Um having/not having ABS won't prevent that. As I've stated already. Only a bbk would prevent this. Better fluid might help a bit. Better pads might help a bit.

some people dont realize how important brakes are till one day you have smoke coming from your wheels and your brake pedal feels like jello.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ABS was a must have when i was buying my car. And my BBK has been my favorite upgrade so far. I like knowing that i can stop when i need to.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2kev
Your brakes work like all brakes up to the point where ABS kicks in... whoever told you a brake upgrade wouldn't do much is a moron.

If you want upgraded brakes, get them, but do them for performance and don't just get slotted/x-drilled for looks.
race cars dont use abs to stop they are for panick stops. a true sport brake will stop you on the dime regardless. i have abs and they hardly ever come on unless i make them but to me there not as important unless you had to make a quick turn while slammimg on the brakes. do you know how many times the abs would have me crapping in my pants before it came to a stop? seemed like forever. so if you dont have them dont fret just make sure your set up is tight and youll be allright
Old 01-25-2005, 12:24 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by C MAX
race cars dont use abs to stop they are for panick stops. a true sport brake will stop you on the dime regardless.
race cars don't have ABS because it's against the rules, because it's a competitive advantage
i have abs and they hardly ever come on unless i make them but to me there not as important unless you had to make a quick turn while slammimg on the brakes. do you know how many times the abs would have me crapping in my pants before it came to a stop?
This makes no sense... ABS doesn't increase braking distance (except in some very specific circumstances) so why would having them make you crap your pants? If ABS kicked in it's because you were pushing the car too hard under for the conditions, and if the ABS *hadn't* kicked in you probably would have slid into the object instead of being able to turn to avoid it.

Have it or don't, but please don't delude yourself into thinking you can brake better than ABS.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Because you can pump the brakes faster than a machine and ride the threshold on all 4 wheels better than ABS can regulate it to each individual tire?

What do you say, everyone? Let's turn this into another "I'm ignorant about ABS" thread
I never said I could out-pump the car's ABS system.

I do know that I've had car's with ABS and I always felt it was too sensitive and activated when I didn't want it to or needed it. Under the same circumstances, I always stopped the car better without ABS.

And like I said... to each his own.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:39 PM

race cars don't have ABS because it's against the rules, because it's a competitive advantage This makes no sense... ABS doesn't increase braking distance (except in some very specific circumstances) so why would having them make you crap your pants? If ABS kicked in it's because you were pushing the car too hard under for the conditions, and if the ABS *hadn't* kicked in you probably would have slid into the object instead of being able to turn to avoid it.

Have it or don't, but please don't delude yourself into thinking you can brake better than ABS.
maybe you misunderstood me, i didnt say it increase braking distance i said it doesnt. in case you dont know me i run on the track 12.9 @ 111mph and have been in many races. and yes i do drive fast with 11lbs of boost and nitrous so you dont have to school me on this subject. my statement said abs is not important. i had cars with and without and it doesnt make a difference to me becasue i will stop my car i dont drive where i cant control it. a panick stop is where abs come in, i dont panic stop, i stop!. and refering to the crap in my pants thats when i first got abs i thought all i had to do was slam on the brakes and stop i was wrong, it stops when it wants to.how many abs cars have you seen with front end damage? many because it helps not prevents.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:02 PM
It's chrome alright...

maybe you misunderstood me, i didnt say it increase braking distance i said it doesnt. in case you dont know me i run on the track 12.9 @ 111mph and have been in many races. and yes i do drive fast with 11lbs of boost and nitrous so you dont have to school me on this subject. my statement said abs is not important.
none of this matters, what's your point?
i had cars with and without and it doesnt make a difference to me becasue i will stop my car i dont drive where i cant control it. a panick stop is where abs come in, i dont panic stop, i stop!.
The definition of panic stop means it's unexpected...if you've never had to, congratulations on maintaining a safe distance.
and refering to the crap in my pants thats when i first got abs i thought all i had to do was slam on the brakes and stop i was wrong, it stops when it wants to.how many abs cars have you seen with front end damage? many because it helps not prevents.
With ABS all you have to do is slam on the brakes. If there's front end damage on a car with ABS there would also have been front end damage on a car without. ABS is not magic but it does allow you to steer around something instead of hit it.

Also it doesn't "stop when it wants to", it stops as soon as physically possible under the current conditions, and 99% of the time nobody, not 11lb boost you or regular joe driver me, could have stopped faster or safer.

maxspeed96CT, to keep this on topic, have you decided if you're going to do any upgrade or not?
Old 01-25-2005, 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=2k2kev]none of this matters, what's your point?QUOTE]

abs is not important, so he can still upgrade his brakes.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:34 PM
The original VQ...

The definition of panic stop means it's unexpected...if you've never had to, congratulations on maintaining a safe distance.
this is 100 % tru, the guy who posted probubly never even went fast enought to put any stress on his brakes....

ive en look at the brake kits that 3rd gen guy has for sale, the rebult 300zx kit, and the 5th gen rotors with 04 otors.

Im still lookin around, i def. dont want to spend the money on a brembo Bk or a stillen one.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:41 PM

This thread is very funny. ABS to me is for an emergency situation, meaning something happens that is unexpected. Mine have activated 4 times in 103k. Each time, the car did not lock up. 3 times were either snow or rain, the other was on dry pavement when I wasn't paying attention. The outpump the ABS system was hilarious.....cancel your Bally's membership if you can do that!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:28 PM

maxspeed96CT if this is not a real rush to upgrade i can sell you my brembo xdrilled/slotted, axis mm pad, and SS lines in about 2-3 weeks, they have 1.5k on them as of now, yeah i wish i had abs but i drive moderately fast but know how to keep a safe distance, about 2 month ago i almost rear end a guy in front of a cop on the highway when it jsut started to snow heavily, i was a little tipsy, drivin back from nj from buying some parts for my car from another .org member wasnt going fast but hit the brakes and was wondering y my car was still moving forward, it stopped in time and not a moment too soon, less than 6 inch from this guys rear bumper. abs def would have made a diff in that situation, funny thing is the guy who sold me this max told me it has abs, and back then i didnt know much about cars to know how to tell the diff.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:23 PM
brotherhood of tq

abs was designed for a reason. the same as air bags or seat belts, they are there to help save your life in extreme emergencies where the possiblity of locking up your brakes might happen. if u think u would never need abs then i hope u never put your self in a postion to test out your theroy. i think the only better thing the abs is maybe traction control but that also relies upon abs to work.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:37 PM

Seatbelts- great invention without a doubt - At first seat belts were only lap belts, many people saved but many were hurt too, until they were made into a 3 point belt system.

Airbags - great invention as well, no question - At first helped save lives too but they too hurt people as they were too powerful, now that they've been refined, they're much better at what they do.

ABS - good invention - Still needs more refinement before I fully appreciate it. It is better in some cars than others.

Tractoin control - Ehh, it's been handy for my wife at times in her Odyssey but there have been times we've had to turn it OFF to get out of muddy parking lots or snowed in parking spaces. It too needs more refinement and it too is better in some cars than others.

Sorry to go off topic as the guy who started this thread doesn't have ABS anyway.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:43 PM
It's chrome alright...

Airbags - great invention as well, no question - At first helped save lives too but they too hurt people as they were too powerful, now that they've been refined, they're much better at what they do.
<postwhore>
Even when airbags were new and "too powerful" they were saving more lives than they were hurting. People think because the airbag powder burned their face then airbags must suck...they never take into account, if your face hit the airbag, you'd be MUCH worse off if it wasn't there.
</postwhore>

Old 01-25-2005, 06:38 PM

<postwhore>
Even when airbags were new and "too powerful" they were saving more lives than they were hurting. People think because the airbag powder burned their face then airbags must suck...they never take into account, if your face hit the airbag, you'd be MUCH worse off if it wasn't there.
</postwhore>

It wasn't the powder that was too powerful or the burning sensation afterwards. It was the rate at which the airbag expanded that was too powerful

It especially affected smaller frame people who tended to be closer to the steering wheel while driving. Whenever the airbag deployed, it didn't have the room it needed to deploy fully and would just crush rib cages and break faces, at times with fatal results.

Today airbags deploy in a much more controlled manner and the airbag has escape vents that when met with enough pressure, will release some of the force out to the sides instead of into the occupants yet still doing it's function.

More refined.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:12 PM
VIP Maxima

if i had ABS, i would have rear ended about 4 people so far.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
It's chrome alright...

It wasn't the powder that was too powerful or the burning sensation afterwards. It was the rate at which the airbag expanded that was too powerful
I've done more reading on airbags than I care to remember... even if they never changed them, airbags would still save more lives than the alternative.
Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
if i had ABS, i would have rear ended about 4 people so far.
Then you need to learn how to drive.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:42 PM
VIP Maxima

Then you need to learn how to drive.

people need to know when not to make a lane change and when not to turn into the street exiting a shopping center.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:48 AM

this is 100 % tru, the guy who posted probubly never even went fast enought to put any stress on his brakes....

12.9 in the 1/4 isnt fast enough @111mph then to a stop? who are you kidding. i race so i know the importance of good brakes. liquidvenom please school this kid.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:03 AM

12.9 in the 1/4 isnt fast enough @111mph then to a stop? who are you kidding. i race so i know the importance of good brakes. liquidvenom please school this kid.
i rode in c max car a few times and let me tell you as fast as he moves that car, im talking at lest 0-60 in 5 secs his abs never activated as far as i can tell and thats with a automatic still pushing the car. to me abs is a good safe option but its not really necessary the fastest stopping method and a upgraded non abs sytem should work just as well. what up liquidvenom i met you in spring valley when c max was busting some chops.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:07 AM
The original VQ...

Dont ask your girlfriend to lie for you. 1/4 doesnt mean crap. You brakes dont reay heat up from just one stop, im talking about 100+ highway runs, autocross and just aggressive driving in general.

And to those that said abs made your car stop worse, you realy need to stay of the roads .

Any ways someone posed about the xdrilled and slotted brembo rotors for sale above, do those realy help out or are they just to look pritty?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:36 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 98MikeXimaSE
people need to know when not to make a lane change and when not to turn into the street exiting a shopping center.
So you're saying if you had ABS you would have hit those cars, but because you didn't have ABS you were able to avoid hitting hte cars? You'll have to explain how ABS would have been worse in that situation.
Originally Posted by maxboogie
i rode in c max car a few times and let me tell you as fast as he moves that car, im talking at lest 0-60 in 5 secs his abs never activated as far as i can tell and thats with a automatic still pushing the car.
1/4m *in*no*way* tests your brakes...what does 1/4m and 0-60 have to do with stopping?
...posted about the xdrilled and slotted brembo rotors for sale above, do those realy help out or are they just to look pritty?
If all you care about is stopping x-drilled/slotted are a waste of money.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:39 AM
Team Ramrod

why wouldnt you upgrade your brakes? abs rarely kicks in anyway, unless you drive like an idiot or live where it snows a lot
Old 01-26-2005, 06:18 AM

Dont ask your girlfriend to lie for you. 1/4 doesnt mean crap. You brakes dont reay heat up from just one stop, im talking about 100+ highway runs, autocross and just aggressive driving in general.

And to those that said abs made your car stop worse, you realy need to stay of the roads .

Any ways someone posed about the xdrilled and slotted brembo rotors for sale above, do those realy help out or are they just to look pritty?
your such an idiot, but what do you expect from a child with a car who dont know crap about hard braking. brakes mean everything when your coming to a fast stop in the 1/4. anyway if your asking questions about brakes you shouldnt give a comment cause obviously you dont know what the @*#@ your talking about.