4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hit the divider at 30 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 08:15 PM

Hit the divider at 30 MPH

After six years of driving I got into my first accident tonite. I was driving on a road at 50 MPH. Hit some ice,and the car started to shimmy. I shimmed for about an 1/8th of a mile on a three lane freeway, progressively moving back and forth about 4 times. Then "Oh ****" I really lost control. The car spun out and I went into the divider at 30 MPH. The car continued to spin and I had made a 180 degree turn facing traffic.

Luckily the other cars where able to stop. My wife and I were both okay. Thank God. I pulled into a parking lot, and saw to my surprise, not as much damage as I thought.

Heres the damage report:

The lights were all working. The driver fog worked but the plastic pieces holding it to the car broke off. Drivers head light, and corner are a little in. My bumper is a little bent in. The driver fender is a little bent, the hood is barely out off to the left. The piece with the emblem is a little cracked.

I dont know if I should file a claim. I've got full coverage. What do you think? $$$

All of the parts I can put in myself. I just cant paint. Do you think body work might be too much for me a novice DIY person to handle?

I dont know, I'm a little shaken up by it after reflecting on what happened. I'm glad I'm okay, and that I didnt mess up other peoples cars.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:54 PM

I was in an accident recently where similar 'minor' damages were inflicted. But once we took everything off there is actually a lot more wrong with the car than we had thought. On my car the bumper had just been bent in a little at the license plate and the hood crumpled slightly. But when we got everything off there was a good five inches of displacement of the top of the radiator and everything connected to the radiator assembly. If you have full coverage, I'd just file a claim because I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't want to deal with this ****, even if it meant a little higher insurance premium.

But then again, your situation could be completely different.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:05 AM

Take it to get some free estimates at reputable shops before you file a claim. Then based on what they tell you decide whether or not you can DYI. That way you can at least get some idea of the extent of the damage that was done and make a more informed decision.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:34 AM

How much could I expect my premium to go up if I file a claim? I dont want to ask the insurance company yet.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:57 AM
KaZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Premium adjustment is hard to say... it all depends on your record and the extent of the damage... but don't call the insurance company at all unless you're sure you want to report it. If you even "mention" that you had a minor "inicident" they'll notate it on your policy and it WILL affect your premium. We had friends that worked for USAA and they said NEVER call the insurance company until you're positive you want to make a claim. Even if you're just trying to cover your *** (like you were in a minor incident where you just bumped someone and they said they weren't going to do anything but you were a little scare they might) just notate what happened and file it away. If you never hear from your insurance or theirs, no worries. The insurance company is out to get as much from you as they can... don't let them get any more than they need to.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:19 AM

show us some pics so we have a better understanding of how bad it is.

Ant