4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can this happen? Is there really that much difference in intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 06:03 PM
Maxima97

How can this happen? This is the follow up to the 97 Max Vs 97 Max post. I raced him about 4 times and he beat me easily every time. Im talkin 1.5-2 lengths. I currently have the BrianV mod with a K&N filter and I have an adapter instead of prying the gold piece off. He has a Weapon*R filter replacing his stock air box. Can there really be this much difference in quality of intakes or is it something else. We both had about half a tank of gas niether of us had anything in the trunk and no passengers. We raced 4 times and I didnt feel like he got the better jump on me. How could this have happened? I know they are the same engine but how did he beat me that easily. GRRRRRR I feel like crap now because earlier I lost to a Celica GS-t by about 1 or 1.5 lenghts so I figured I could beat this max. Anyone have a possible explanation? OH and we are both Auto's. Thanks

Old 04-26-2001, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Maxima97
How can this happen? This is the follow up to the 97 Max Vs 97 Max post. I raced him about 4 times and he beat me easily every time. Im talkin 1.5-2 lengths. I currently have the BrianV mod with a K&N filter and I have an adapter instead of prying the gold piece off. He has a Weapon*R filter replacing his stock air box. Can there really be this much difference in quality of intakes or is it something else. We both had about half a tank of gas niether of us had anything in the trunk and no passengers. We raced 4 times and I didnt feel like he got the better jump on me. How could this have happened? I know they are the same engine but how did he beat me that easily. GRRRRRR I feel like crap now because earlier I lost to a Celica GS-t by about 1 or 1.5 lenghts so I figured I could beat this max. Anyone have a possible explanation? OH and we are both Auto's. Thanks
how much do you weigh man?? naw, im just playin, i really dont know what the problem could be. might be something internal, maybe he's hiding something, or maybe its time for a tuneup, really dunno... when did he start pulling on you? right at take off?
Old 04-26-2001, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Two Points here:

1) Are the two cars both the same Trim Level? are you both the same weight? are you both manually shifting? do you both have the same Stereo Setup? do you both have the same kind of seats? each little pound adds up my friend

2) Every single car from the factory, regaurdless of Year, Trim, or accesories is made DIFFERENTLY.. some faster.. some slower.. personaly i think i have one of them Factory Freaks
Old 04-26-2001, 08:07 PM

it might be your launch... are u guys getting off the line at the same time/speed? i beat my friends 95 maxima se last weekend... i have intake he doesn't i beat him pretty bad and cut him off... i thought itd be close cause i 5 guys in my car.. he only had 2... and my tank was full i don't know about his..
i think i beat him cause of my launch...
Old 04-26-2001, 08:57 PM
Maxima97

Yeah we both have GXE's and are both Autos. He said he weighs about 220 which is almost exactly how much I weigh. I dont know how much closer we could be with everything. Same stereo set up, same seats, same everything except intake. Is Weaopon*R a really good brand or something? Or does my car just suck? Whats goin on? He started pulling on me right away and didnt look back. I dont know what happened. Any other ideas? Thanks

Old 04-26-2001, 09:29 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Swap cars and then see how it turns out. This could answer some questions...
Old 04-26-2001, 09:48 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by SprintMax
Two Points here:

2) Every single car from the factory, regaurdless of Year, Trim, or accesories is made DIFFERENTLY.. some faster.. some slower.. personaly i think i have one of them Factory Freaks
So I beg the question, what's so freakish about the performance of your car? What your 1/4s?

Dave
Old 04-26-2001, 10:00 PM

LOL, Chris (Maxima97) I think I just have one of those cars fast out of the factory. I have beaten some fast cars. (even though some people on here dont believe me) I drove a buddy of mine's maxima the other day and it was too a 1997 GXE Auto and it didnt seem as fast as mine. Just go get a tune up maybe thats what the problem is. Good luck bro, Take Care
Old 04-26-2001, 10:44 PM
PimpMax

Hey SB97MAX unfortunetely im gonna have to agree with you and say your car is faster. Or atleast it seemed that way when I drove it. As for people not believing you, I was right there when you raced all those guys and I can back your wins. Hey Chris didnt you just get a tune up? Wanna Race? I think we are the only 3 maxima enthusiast in this town. Lets go find those guys tomorrow and make some challenges. Talk to you later

Old 04-26-2001, 11:22 PM

hows a tuneup gonna help? how much

i think i am due for one pretty soon, do they really help that much?
Old 04-26-2001, 11:23 PM

grrr... also....

what kind of gas are you and him using? i got gas from racetrack, never never never again. only got about 275 miles to the tank and performance went way down, and it was 93 octane.
Old 04-27-2001, 01:40 PM

a cone filter will flow more than a stock air box with a panel filter, even with the slight mod that you make. plain & simple. you can modify that stock box all you want but it still won't suck in more air than the conical filter since the cone filter has a much higher surface area.
Old 04-27-2001, 02:05 PM

hehehe just the fact that they forgot about the surface area seems kinda comical
Old 04-27-2001, 02:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Swap intakes and race again. Review results and then post again what they were.

Would make an interesting post: Cone VS modified stock airbox.

Originally posted by Maxima97