4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

loss of power with cai?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Team Ramrod

loss of power with cai?

alright well i have done some research and after thinking it all over, im deciding to get a cai off of ebay and then swap the filter with a k&n 3" cone filter. but i am afraid that i will lose power, whether its low-end or not. i have read of people losing some power after putting on a cai. right now i have the k&n drop panel filter, but i want a tougher sounding noise. if i have to, i will spend the money and buy a place racing cai if its going to give me power not make me lose it, but i would much rather spend $70-80 rather than $250+. my max is an automatic btw. what do you guys think?
thanks
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 AM
UCF Lexus

If you want just the sound...just cut the bottom of the airbox out.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by enjoyincubus504
alright well i have done some research and after thinking it all over, im deciding to get a cai off of ebay and then swap the filter with a k&n 3" cone filter. but i am afraid that i will lose power, whether its low-end or not. i have read of people losing some power after putting on a cai. right now i have the k&n drop panel filter, but i want a tougher sounding noise. if i have to, i will spend the money and buy a place racing cai if its going to give me power not make me lose it, but i would much rather spend $70-80 rather than $250+. my max is an automatic btw. what do you guys think?
thanks
Don't waste your money on the CAI. Jus t do what the man above recommended and keep the panel filter.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:33 AM
UCF Lexus

Here - this should help
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=359542
Old 01-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Old Maxima Legend

yeah do something cheap, im starting to think all those intakes are fake ?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:47 AM
UCF Lexus

Not fake, but just not practical for the 'smart enthusiast'.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:18 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by enjoyincubus504
thanks
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=injen

There's a link in post 45... read that post, then follow that link.

cliff's: the length of the intake tube plays more of a role in tuning than does the temperature of the air. If you install any intake, play around with the length of the tube by sliding the filter up/down to change the resonance (the length at which the intake frees up the most hp).
Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2kev
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ighlight=injen

There's a link in post 45... read that post, then follow that link.

cliff's: the length of the intake tube plays more of a role in tuning than does the temperature of the air. If you install any intake, play around with the length of the tube by sliding the filter up/down to change the resonance (the length at which the intake frees up the most hp).
In which he can just do without the CAI all together and put the filter on the resonator.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought my cai from Cattman, I didn't modify anything, I just installed it the way it said to. I didn't notice any loss of power. I sounds great (not loud, but mean) and with a Y-pipe it hauls ***. Buying a cheaper one and putting a better filter on it will probably work.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:40 PM
acj

I had a lot of low end lag with my CAI. I'm currently running a popcharger setup and it seems a little better. I'll probably end up just getting a K&N panel filter and going back stock...possibly modifying the airbox.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:24 PM

i want 2 go back to stock but i dont have my stock airbox and all that stuff. anyone have one for sale???
Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM

i have the parts for you minus the stock midpipe you can have it for like $15 ill even throw in the stock filter
Old 01-25-2005, 06:39 PM

dude if u want a CAI, at least get the real ones like BOMZ, cattman, or place racing.
of course cattman and place racing will be expensive(cattman most expensive, then PR, then BOMZ) but BOMZ is pretty much the same setup. I'm planning on buying one to off of ebay. only recommendation is to change the filter to K&N. You shouldn't lose any power w/ a true CAI.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:42 PM

if your hacking ur airbox, i recommend not cuting the front part b/c hot air from engine and from radiator fan will get in there. The side would be the best. also you can make ur own airbox custom intake, make a 3" hole in the front, get a 3" hose or tubing whtever, and do the PR CAI setup.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:53 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by g4nismo
dude if u want a CAI, at least get the real ones like BOMZ, cattman, or place racing.
of course cattman and place racing will be expensive(cattman most expensive, then PR, then BOMZ) but BOMZ is pretty much the same setup. I'm planning on buying one to off of ebay. only recommendation is to change the filter to K&N. You shouldn't lose any power w/ a true CAI.
Using words like "true CAI" on your 38th post... you've been indoctrinated early
Old 01-25-2005, 09:54 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by g4nismo
if your hacking ur airbox, i recommend not cuting the front part b/c hot air from engine and from radiator fan will get in there. The side would be the best.

...... because air is dumb, and if you cut the sides it won't know how to get in over there

You're killing me
Old 01-26-2005, 06:58 AM

I've had my Place Racing CAI setup for about 3 years. Recently, I removed the curved bottom tube (where the filter is attached) and I transformed my intake by only using the midpipes and filter. The sound is louder and I notice a slight power gain. I am very happy with this setup.
BTW, I am using an APEX'I filter.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:29 PM

well yeh airbox still has an opening to breath so side with little amount of air but not as freaken hot as front, or front with hot air? yeh um air is dumb???? THERES
AIR ALL AROUND, PLUS AIR STILL GOES TO THE ENGINE WHEN DRIVING SO THE SIDE IS BOUND TO RECEIVE SOME AIR, DURRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 PM

question for ONLY the intake guru's not the cocky know-it-alls...how does a hybrid setup of a place racing midpipe with stock airbox compare to just midpipe and cone filter? ive already had the stillen pop charger with stock mid and franken mid, and now place racing cai but for winter just for piece of mind i took the extension off and love the growl either way though lowend power is deff gone WHY!?! will the midpipe w/ stock box do better lowend? i want my off the line grunt back
Old 01-31-2005, 04:49 PM

just my opinion, but the best power i ever had was with a full exhaust done, and the stock air box. i bought the pr intake years ago when it first came out. everybody raved about it, and claimed it made them faster. when i put it on my car, it completely killed the bottom end. i use to play around racing my friends stock max from the red lights, ( which is now mine ), and the results were unreal.. when we were both stock, he use to pull away from me slowly. i did a FULL exhaust, i use to have car lenghts on him in no time. when i put the pr intake on, he killed me off the line, and it took a good 1/4 mile just for me to catch up. if you ask me, all those intakes do is make noise. wanna go faster, do exhaust work and leave your intake alone
Old 01-31-2005, 04:57 PM

just wanted to add this.. alot of people think there car got faster with one of those, just cause it makes more noise.. its soooo not the case.. your stock intake, believe it or not, is almost a ram air intake. and imo, is the best one ti have if you wanna play on the streets. its actuall kinda nice to finally see alot of people saying the same thing i did years ago, when everyone told me i was wrong..
Old 01-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I almost always get up and go quickly at the lights (can't have too much launch practice), so I'd say I'm pretty in-tune with what my car does. That said, I didn't notice any difference after I added the CAI...except the ringing in my ears, that is.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:18 PM

Wrong! Ram-air in it's actual real-world application has something to do with forced induction, forcing/ramming more air into the intake system.

Midpipe is midpipe, whether it be Frankencar or PR, its the same thing. The non-accordion type tubing introduces turbulance into the intake, a big minus, but results in that loud roaring sound people seem to associate with more power. You can even make one and you'll find that in the stickies. The important thing is that if you open up the intake, you also have to open up the exhaust. Same principle applies when force inducing, you go with a 3" exhaust system. There's no sense trying take in more air when you got back-pressure working against it on the way out. Intake alone won't give you more HP, at least nothing considerable like +2hp. I learned it from personal experience and I'm still going back to stock until I go boosted.

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
... your stock intake, believe it or not, is almost a ram air intake. and imo, is the best one ti have if you wanna play on the streets. its actuall kinda nice to finally see alot of people saying the same thing i did years ago, when everyone told me i was wrong..
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 PM

just my opinion, but the best power i ever had was with a full exhaust done, and the stock air box. i bought the pr intake years ago when it first came out. everybody raved about it, and claimed it made them faster. when i put it on my car, it completely killed the bottom end. i use to play around racing my friends stock max from the red lights, ( which is now mine ), and the results were unreal.. when we were both stock, he use to pull away from me slowly. i did a FULL exhaust, i use to have car lenghts on him in no time. when i put the pr intake on, he killed me off the line, and it took a good 1/4 mile just for me to catch up. if you ask me, all those intakes do is make noise. wanna go faster, do exhaust work and leave your intake alone
well i have a stock hacked airbox w/ k&n filter but you don't always get great responses in my opinion. don't spaz out if i'm wrong but, doesn't it usually depend on the weather, condition of the car, and so on? i live in sc, & it does get hot here, launching sometimes sucks *** and it lags when i just punch the gas. on other days, slightly cooler or even before my car is fully warmed up, just tapping the gas makes the car jerk forward which is really fun. but i dunno, i'm really close to gettin a bomz cold air cause i want the louder sound than the hacked and i guess the marginally hp increase
Old 01-31-2005, 06:46 PM

W/o a doubt, cooler more dense air equals more gains. Hot air, even outside the engine bogs down any car. I used to live in Vegas many years ago and with the pop-charger, the hot ambient temperature outside converted to even more hotter air inside the engine bay, then into the air intake just made my car run a lot slower. I had to put the stock box back on and my car ran better. Now that I live in California, during the cold winter months, my car ran alot more robust.

I have been reading up in the Subaru forum and the guys there who attempted to do the same thing to their cars to get more cooler air got the same results. They basically lost way too much low-end and the high-end gains aren't enough to justify the loss.

For the most part, whatever the manufacturer did in designing any intake systems is probably tuned to give you a little bit of both.