4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can get jerky motions in idle, sometimes while driving..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:34 PM

Can get jerky motions in idle, sometimes while driving..

It's weird, but at times when I idle out the clutch, the car can get very, very jerky with the RPM's slightly bouncing...I have even had it where it was in 2nd at about 30-35, and when I floor it, it will accelerate a little and it seems to cut out quickly, or slip or something at times. Very strange. Is this normal with an Injen CAI, ACT stage 1 clutch. I also have the fidanza flywheel.

An even wierder thing was the car dying out at idle at a red light during the snow storm. No shaking or rattling or anything, but at times when in second or third, the car can feel so jerky when just barely touching the throttle to accelerate, or just barely letting off to slow down. Any info would be appreciated.

BTW, never had this until last couple months.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:17 PM

lol hahahahahahahahahahahaha coil packs join the group
Old 01-26-2005, 12:46 AM

Just a suggestion to look into, but with my old '89 maxima, it was an auto, but seemed to have some similar probs. Cept when it happened to my car I wouldn't say it was "very jerky" but it did jerk and the RPMs bounced and all that.

What found with my car, was that after I replaced the spark plugs and wires, it was all good... try looking into that if you haven't already.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by sterlingmaxima
lol hahahahahahahahahahahaha coil packs join the group
Wouldn't a check engine light come on for the coil packs? I still have a warranty, so hopefully it's only that...will have to take in.

I would be surprised if my plugs and wires were bad. It's a 99 with 59K, and has no problems starting. It just gets the jerky hiccup, even in 3rd last night. Will have to make an appointment here to get it checked out, but I was just curious as to what was causing it, and if the mods had anything to do with it.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You may be having the exact problem I am having. I have yet to resolve mine. Check my post for some answeres though.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=369441

Good Luck.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:25 PM

I had no codes or CEL, but, problem found! It was the connector going into the MAF. One of the holes in the connector loosened out, so the pin going in didn't have a tight fit and was able to break contact under load as the engine moves about the mounts. My cousing works at Fergus Nissan, so I was hanging around by his stall when he found it by running the car at idle and shaking around the MAF when the car died. He suspected a harness issue, but found this instead. When he tested the holes in the connector with a test pin, he found the pin going in one of the holes easily with no resistance and not snapping in. He repaired it and the issue is now gone!
Old 01-28-2005, 10:37 PM

I have the same problem , but my car is auto.
the car get all jerky just before 3000 rpms
needs some help.
i change the spark plugs air filter gas filter. ran it through scanner no codes show up.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by maxs4life
I have the same problem , but my car is auto.
the car get all jerky just before 3000 rpms
needs some help.
i change the spark plugs air filter gas filter. ran it through scanner no codes show up.
Have them check the connector to the MAF like on mine, no problems anymore!
Old 01-29-2005, 04:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

99 - could be coil packs BUT...

Check the TPS. There are two sensors that detect throttle position. One is the actual potentiometer that senses the throttle position and the other is a switch that detects wide open/closed positions as well.

This is quoted from the Haynes shop manual...
"A broken or loose TPS can cause intermittent bursts of fuel from the injectors and an unstable idle because the PCM thinks the throttle is moving."
Old 01-31-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by abradic
It's weird, but at times when I idle out the clutch, the car can get very, very jerky with the RPM's slightly bouncing...I have even had it where it was in 2nd at about 30-35, and when I floor it, it will accelerate a little and it seems to cut out quickly, or slip or something at times. Very strange. Is this normal with an Injen CAI, ACT stage 1 clutch. I also have the fidanza flywheel.

An even wierder thing was the car dying out at idle at a red light during the snow storm. No shaking or rattling or anything, but at times when in second or third, the car can feel so jerky when just barely touching the throttle to accelerate, or just barely letting off to slow down. Any info would be appreciated.

BTW, never had this until last couple months.
The same thing is happening to me right now. It started two days ago and this morning "check engine" light went on. However, mine jerks trough all the gears and kind of slips. Today I got the code from ECU, and it was 0201 ( ignition coil) checked again and it said 0505 ( no fault). I searched a little and found out there are 3 ignition coils. Anybody knows if there is any way to check them and see which one is bad?
P.S. Is it really bad for the car to drive it like that, could something get really messed up if I drive it tomorrow?
Old 01-31-2005, 07:56 PM

i hate coil packs im gonna invent my own i have jerky idle like i can feel it miss every great while in the cold but other than that it doesnt do anything so i dont feel the need to replace
Old 01-31-2005, 08:06 PM

i doubt its your coil packs since its a 96, but like njmaxseltd said clean your tps, and perhaps clean your throttle body and filter
Old 01-31-2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
i doubt its your coil packs since its a 96, but like njmaxseltd said clean your tps, and perhaps clean your throttle body and filter
sorry about newbie question, but is TPS - Throttle position sensor??? And if it is, where is it located?? Also, I cleaned throttle body and put a new filter in about 3000 miles ago, so that should not be a problem.
Thanks