4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

slight knock under clutch/gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 02:45 PM

slight knock under clutch/gas

it actualy sounds like something knocking on the floor under and infront of the gas pedal. not at any particular time, and only once at a time. if youve ever had a bent pice of thin metal and bent it backwards, sortof what it sounds like. it happens sometimes when i let it into 1st gear, or give it gas, but not while im steadily driving or idle. i know its not inside the cab though. any ideas?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:55 PM

might be a clutch issue

how many miles on your clutch? so it happens on when clutch related activites are happening?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:35 AM

well i posted this thread just before leaving for work.on my way, it was stop and go on the highway. one time in particular, in 2nd i gave it gas to speed up and i get a knock that i can feel through the gas pedal. only in 1st or 2nd gear that this happens, and not consistantly. it was pretty warmed up by then as well. and not as i let the clutch out this time :\
i dunno how old the clutch is, there's no way for me to know. well there probably is but someone like me couldnt tell.

also another thing as i left work, i let it warm up because i got off early but the rear end made a moaning noise sortof reminds me of a drum. not the instrument though ^^ metal on metal and hollow sounding.
i stopped again to start from 0 just to check and it made the same noise a bit longer and louder, but after that it went away. it went with the motion of the rear wheels/axle etc.
ive had this car about 2 weeks now and i love it ALOT! but these 2 smaller things, i can only be vague about because they arent realy advanced problems yet. yeeeeeeet!
thanks tons for your help in advance, maybe point me the right way.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I think you might have a bad engine mount. The knock your "feeling" is the engine moving slightly in the faulty mount. It's probably the rear mount on the sub-frame which basically sits about where your feet are. Open the hood, have someone watch your engine while you put a load on it in first gear AND reverse. Make sure the parking brake is on while you do this. The engine should have very little movement, if one side lifts up slightly, thats your faulty engine mount.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:25 PM

hmmm ill try that soon, is there anything i can tell from looking at the actual mounts? expensive/ hard job? i read here org post that there are electonic front engine mounts? i hope it isnt one of thoes because, add electric, and i bet its more expensive. mine is also a 5spd 99 is there a diffrence between manual and auto engine mounts?
also i read that some people install new ones and get more vibration than before.
can anybody tell me what i should buy and where?
thanks again
Old 02-01-2005, 12:37 PM

I had a similar noise. It would make a metal thumping sound. I would notice it more when driving slow. It turned out to be a bad front sway bar link. The part that bolts onto the lower control arm.

I would never have found the problem if it wasn't for the fact that I had to change the front strut on that side.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by cyjad
I had a similar noise. It would make a metal thumping sound. I would notice it more when driving slow. It turned out to be a bad front sway bar link. The part that bolts onto the lower control arm.

I would never have found the problem if it wasn't for the fact that I had to change the front strut on that side.
the sway bar youre talking about is stock right? i dont know if i have one
Old 02-22-2005, 04:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

id have to agree with Tom, sounds like a bad engine mount. rev it up and see if it moves alot