4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto Transmission abrupt shift from 1 to 2 gear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Auto Transmission abrupt shift from 1 to 2 gear.

Hello everybody,

My 98 I30 (60K miles) OCCASIONALY starts to have jerky/abrupt 1st to 2nd gear shifts. I can't tell what it depends on, but sometimes it would be super smooth, but sometimes the shift is very jerky (even with very little throttle). All other gears always shift very smooth.

From what I've seen and read in the old threads (almost impossible to find anything because "Search" doesn't work), there is no definite answer to this. I don't think the problem is the dropping resistor, since if it was defective all shifts would be very jerky (between all gears). Transmission fluid was very recently flushed. Could the problem be with solenoid valves? Maybe the valve that regulates the transmission line pressure sticks? (but then again, why the problem only exists for 1-2 shift).

Has anyone ever figured out and was able to fix jerky 1-2 shifts? I don't want to strain my transmission more than I have to - it looks like it won't last very long if I cannot get it to shift smoothly.

Would buying the part # discussed in this thread help my problem?
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...08&postcount=4

Do you think dealer would be able to diagnose the problem? Or will they just charge me $100 for diagnosis and say "It's normal"?

Thanks for any help,
D
Old 02-01-2005, 07:07 PM

its normal, do a transmission flush.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:21 PM

It could be either drop resistor or solenoids.
I had defective drop resistor and it shifted abruptly only from 1st to 2nd, but shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th was smooth.
Just get omh meter handy and check resistor. It's behind air box, mounted with 2 bolts to the strut tower.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

lshi0, in my original post I said that I just did the transmission flush at the dealer (1000 miles ago).

sanekb7, so you changed the resistor and it got rid of the problem? I measured mine and it seems to be 12 ohms. But my transmission only shifts abruptly occasionally... maybe there is a bad connection inside of the resistor?
Old 02-02-2005, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by sanekb7
It could be either drop resistor or solenoids.
I had defective drop resistor and it shifted abruptly only from 1st to 2nd, but shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th was smooth.
Just get omh meter handy and check resistor. It's behind air box, mounted with 2 bolts to the strut tower.
Did you DIY, if so do you have pics, estimate on costs ... what shud the ohmmeter read ? ... thanks ... In the other thread onwhat we don't like abt our 4th gen cars, I complained that maybe we got to live with this jerky 1-2 gear. But if this solenoid is gonna solve, I might as well give a try. I too have a 98 I30

Even I had tx flush recently but the problem is not solved. Also, the car downshifts from 3 to 2 or 1 slowly. Don't know how to solve this problems. Any heads up on this ?!? This happens when I apply brakes to reduce the speed to say 10 or 15 mph, the car is still in 3rd gear coz when I accelerate I can feel that it didn't downshift to 2nd for a quick pickup. Plz help!

oh boy! this VQ is a beast. I was getting onto the highway and I had to accelerate to merge into fast moving traffic and I guess I hit 4500 rpm and saw myself go from 30 mph to 70 mph in no time. It felt awesome.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:07 AM

iirc Daniel B Martin diagnosed this problem a couple years back as a faulty TPS.

Anyone find a solution yet?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:21 AM

mine does the same, but DOSNT do it when my car is fully warmed up or when its summer(florida). I think its something to do with tempurature
Old 02-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will check out TPS... I think there is a way to test it.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DimaI30
I will check out TPS... I think there is a way to test it.
plz lemme know when u do it ...

well, i am long overdue to clean the throttle body but the cold weather wouldn't allow me to do any job on the car outside.

Is the TPS the culprit for those downshifts too ? I guess so ...
Old 02-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just don't understand why everybody says "it's normal for 4th gen to shift like that", but at the same time almost nobody has these problems. Come on.... the car has 60K miles - it's not normal for a car with 60K miles to shift like that. There has to be a cure for that. Even if it is the valve assembly, it's only ~$100 and some labor... it would be worth it to me if I knew it was the problem.

So, anyway, has anyone, besides sanekb7 fixed the issue? I tested my dropping resistor and it is normal, so it's got to be something else. Will check out TPS this weekend.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:44 PM

I have the same exact problem, hard shift out of 1st and then smooth in all other gears. I replaced the dropping resistor but it didn't help.

Please post back with your results. thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:53 PM

well don't want to let you feel alone... my car does that too... shes a auto and when she is in local and I push it a little and she shifts to 2nd I can feel it too (jerky feeling) but when I am on the highway I do not feel the transaction...but I had this ever since I had the car... so I don't know.. o btw sometimes during a cold night sit the shifter is reallllllllllly tight and hard to shift out of gear... takes a lot of force... (yes I let it warmed up already to a little above C ) I mean I guess aslong as the car drives and don't break down on me while going I'm a happy camper
Old 02-02-2005, 09:24 PM
wants the ads to die

I have the exact same symptoms along with it not coming out of gear when slowing down or coming to a stop. It all happened after I changed my AT fluid too.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:05 PM

If it's a common problem, then does Nissan know abt it !?! Sbdy must have complained to Nissan, isn't it ?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 PM

Well, the answer that none of us wants to consider is that the tranny is going bad. I'm guessing everyone who is having these problems has a lot of miles on their Maxima. There's not much Nissan can do about that.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:51 PM

FWD band or FWD servo could be starting to become faulty....

I just got home from school and im tired, but ill get back to you on this when I feel like thinking about trannies, after 8 hours of it im kinda tired
Old 02-03-2005, 12:13 AM

Oh yea, do me a favor...

But the car into Manual 3rd and see if the 1-2 upshift does it
Then put it into manual 2nd and see if the 1-2 upshift does it

then tell me....

Also, check this for me...

Theres a modulator, it uses engine vacuum to determine engine load, and will change line pressure to control shift feels. Sometimes the diaphrams start to crack and leak. Look for it on the tranny. Might be in the fron drivers side ( i dont have an auto max so I dont know) it sticks out of the case and is round and about 1-3 inched thick with a nipple and a hose on it. remove that hose and see if its wet with ATF.

Some use the Throttle cable to determine it.... maybe this needs adjusted..... also it could be a bad 1-2 accumulator. But check the modulator, because the accumulator work hand and hand with it.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 AM

[QUOTE=DimaI30]lshi0, in my original post I said that I just did the transmission flush at the dealer (1000 miles ago).
QUOTE]

well, if you bring it to dealer, they gonna charge you some cash and tell you its normal
Old 02-03-2005, 05:09 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by flthere
Also, the car downshifts from 3 to 2 or 1 slowly. Don't know how to solve this problems. Any heads up on this ?!? This happens when I apply brakes to reduce the speed to say 10 or 15 mph, the car is still in 3rd gear coz when I accelerate I can feel that it didn't downshift to 2nd for a quick pickup. Plz help!
Thats normal for the Nissan slush-o-matic tranny, it stays up in 3rd especially when it's cold almost until you come to a complete stop. Very annoying at times.

Check the adjustment of the TPS to help stop your jerky 1-2 shifts.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

According to FSM, nissan uses TPS to determine line pressure. Does that mean diaphragm and modulator will not be there? I can crawl around... but I doubt I will find anything on the tranny - it's pretty difficult to find something if you don't know the exact location of it.

Putting the car in "3" will still make jerky 1-2 shifts. Putting the car in "2" I believe will lock the tranny in 2nd gear - it will start from 2nd.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Putting the car in "3" will still make jerky 1-2 shifts. Putting the car in "2" I believe will lock the tranny in 2nd gear - it will start from 2nd.

That's incorrect. If you do not come to a complete stop, the trans will probably start in second with any lever position except "1".
Old 02-03-2005, 07:05 AM

I've been wondering the same thing about my auto. Jerky 1-2 shift, "especially" under minimal throttle, and very very late downshift to 1st, like when i hit 2 mph and am braking. Any definitive answers would be great.

I dont think it's "normal". i have 70k, and its annoying as all hell. I can check the tps, and see if it's in the range. If it is not, shouldn't I get a TPS code?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:10 AM

i have that problem also, car shifts crazy from one to two even breaking traction for a few minutes
Old 02-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by C MAX
i have that problem also, car shifts crazy from one to two even breaking traction for a few minutes
A few minutes????
Old 02-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
with stage 3 valvebody mod, nitrous and s/c what did you expect?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
A few minutes????

alright maybe a few seconds. its funny i paid to have mine shift like that and some get it for free and dont want it.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a very very hard 2-1 shift in my Jeep when slowing down, it felt like I was getting rear ended. I know its not a maxima but this may help. I found out that my fluid level was over the full mark and I had to drain the fluid out by unscrewing the pan (freakin messy) once I got the level down to the full mark the trans began downshifting much softer and it didn't feel like someone was hitting my rear with a sledge hammer.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:27 AM

So is this problem exists only in those cars with high miles !?!

Maybe we should have a poll and see how many suffer these two issues
Old 02-03-2005, 10:13 AM

Umm, I Dont Think 70k Is Hi Miles...
Old 02-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Yeah, really. 70k isn't high miles...I don't even consider my car high miles yet and it's at 202k.

I've always noticed that of all the shifts, the 1-2 is usually the roughest, but never enough to make me worried about anything. Once it's warmed up I don't even notice it at all.

I do find it annoying that if I don't come to a complete stop it will start out in second gear. Then it revs to about 2200 RPMs and holds there while the Torque Converter tries to catch the car up to the engine. One of these days...<dreams of 5 speed>
Old 02-03-2005, 11:05 AM

No in manual second, you have 1st and 2nd....

IT sounds like a modulator or throttle cable out of adjustment, I dont have an auto so I cant tell you where its at. I can look on all data today if i remember.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Well, I think replacing dropping resistor doesn't work for everybody.
I just swaped the resistor from my dad's Max to see if it was a problem.
When I test drove it was shifting smothly.
Got the resistor from dealership for $70
Old 02-03-2005, 01:48 PM

THis has got nothing to do with the TPS, is it ?? I went to the stickies to pullout this link on TPS but I don't see our problem being mentioned as a symptom of dying TPS

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/tps.html

Now gotta look at the resistor or sthg ...
Old 02-03-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by flthere
THis has got nothing to do with the TPS, is it ?? I went to the stickies to pullout this link on TPS but I don't see our problem being mentioned as a symptom of dying TPS

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/tps.html

Now gotta look at the resistor or sthg ...
STHG? WHAT'S THAT?

AND SANEKB7- are u saying it did or didnt work? u got a new resistor, after u tested ur dad's and it made the difference? is that what im gathering?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:30 PM

i know my cars a 3rd gen. but i dont think it matters...i am having the same problem...i get hard shifts 1-2 for like the first 10-15 mins of driving and then it goes away...i dont understand whats wrong either...if anyone can help that would be awsome
Old 02-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Team Ramrod

im thinkin the tranny needs to be flushed. mines due as well
Old 02-03-2005, 11:43 PM

try a flush, if that doesnt do it.... check out the modulator... the do usually go after about 8-10 years because the diaphram will become brittle. But if you get a flush, actually get a flush at a shop with the machine. If you DIY there is still about 3-4 quarts that isnt drained from your torque converter, so basically you are just contaminating your new fluid
Old 02-04-2005, 07:15 AM

Whats This Modulator U Speak Of?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:16 AM

sorry but what is this Modulator !?! what stuff do we need check on it ?

Tranny flush initially helped with that jerky 1-2 shift but after a month it's back again. It's less than 6 months that I had the tranny flush at Jiffy Lube with that T-Tec machine.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:22 AM

According to FSM, nissan uses TPS to determine line pressure. Does that mean diaphragm and modulator will not be there? I can crawl around... but I doubt I will find anything on the tranny - it's pretty difficult to find something if you don't know the exact location of it.

If the car uses TPS to determine line pressure, then there should be no vacuum modulation.

I don't know about the Maxima tranny, but on my Z28 there are 2 solenoids, one for the 1-2 and one for the 3-4. It's possible the 1-2 is going out or is not receiving enough voltage.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission abrupt shift from 1 to 2 gear.