4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removed my pin-stripes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 11:26 AM

Over the past few days I did the left side of my car, doing almost all of the work at dusk, in the shade. I thought it would be nice to work in cooler temps. I used both Goof Off and Bumper Sticker Remover. I used my all my finger nails and a plastic putty knife. It took me about 3 hours to get it all off. By the time I finished the left side of the car last night, I was tired and frustrated. And my fingers were really sore by the time I was done, too. All I could think was: Man! I'm only half-way done.

I did the right side of my car this morning. The sun was out, and the car was HOT to the touch. I didn't care. I just wanted to get it over with. As I started to carefully work the pin-stripe off, I was instantly amazed to discover how d@mn easy it came off in the heat. That dang pin-stripe just about jumped off the car! I bet it took me less than 30 minutes start to finish, including some wipe-up time to clean the adhesive residue off with Goof Off, which worked great.

The car looks better. I can't see fade lines on my Granite Pearl finish. I'm glad I took the time to do it.

Moral of the story: HEAT IS GOOD!
Old 04-29-2001, 12:19 PM

you know you are supposed to blow dry it off, right? After you were done did you wax the area were it was so that you don't get two faded lines on the sides of your car.
Old 04-29-2001, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
you know you are supposed to blow dry it off, right? After you were done did you wax the area were it was so that you don't get two faded lines on the sides of your car.
Somewhere along the way somebody recommended a heat gun or a blow dryer, but I had no idea it would make THAT kind of difference. I thought that Goof Off would cut through the pin-stripe adhesive like a hot knife through soft butter. It worked more like a *cold* knife through frozen butter!

Live and learn...

Thanks for the reminder, but I did remember about the wax! This week, I'm taking the car to be waxed, buffed-out, and detailed inside and out. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the time/inclination/skill. Next up on my list: Metallic 3M window tint, unless you are familiar with a better quality product to block out the hot Memphis sun. Later...
Old 04-29-2001, 07:03 PM

I think I'm gonna consider taking my pinstripes off now?

Basically, I should just use a blow dryer to pull the pinstripes off. Then use Goof Off to get the remaining adhesive and junk off. Then wax the area. Right?

Also, where can I get some of this Goof Off? Thanks!

-Nick
Old 04-29-2001, 08:14 PM

i like the pinstripes, i think they give the car a nice accent why would u guys want to remove them! however, its your car make it how u want it.
Old 04-29-2001, 08:18 PM

Isn't goof off bad for paint/wax?
Old 04-30-2001, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Nick
I think I'm gonna consider taking my pinstripes off now?

Basically, I should just use a blow dryer to pull the pinstripes off. Then use Goof Off to get the remaining adhesive and junk off. Then wax the area. Right?

Also, where can I get some of this Goof Off? Thanks!

-Nick
Yeah. Use a blow dryer, a heat gun, or just let the sun heat up the car for you. That Goof Off is a citrus-based cleaner that can be purchased at just about any hardware store. Once you are done cleaning off the adhesive residue, wash your car to remove any remaining traces of Goof Off. Dry your car. Wax your car. Have a happy day.

One thing I noticed: With my pin-stripes gone, door dents, dings, and scratches are more obvious. Another chore...
Old 05-01-2001, 04:10 AM

Yeah, it is hot out here Bullseye...it's supposed to be in the mid 80's all week long. I hate how the weather bounced from cold to hot in a day or two. Where I you taking your car to be waxed. I always take mine to Simoniz on Mt. Moriah. They do a pretty good job and I walk around with them to make sure of it... hey Bullseye, you know any good body shops around Memphis, somebody hit my max from the back on the expressway the other day. No major damage, only scratched up the bumper but it gives me the opportunity to get it painted so it will match better.