4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock sensor testing HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:30 AM
MMM
Newbie - Just Registered

Knock sensor testing HELP

my 95 maxima won't start, after read the ecu code, it's knock sensor and circuits error.
when I try to check the knock sensor, I found two different guides:
Haynes says: measure the two terminals(pin#1 and #2) of the knock sensor connector;
while here kevlo911 says: measure the Pin #2 and ground (battery negative terminal)

so I did both, the results are:
it is open circuit between two pins
it is close circuit between pin#2 and ground, resistecne is about 810 kohms.

Since the results are different, which opinion is right?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MMM
my 95 maxima won't start, after read the ecu code, it's knock sensor and circuits error.
when I try to check the knock sensor, I found two different guides:
Haynes says: measure the two terminals(pin#1 and #2) of the knock sensor connector;
while here kevlo911 says: measure the Pin #2 and ground (battery negative terminal)

so I did both, the results are:
it is open circuit between two pins
it is close circuit between pin#2 and ground, resistecne is about 810 kohms.

Since the results are different, which opinion is right?
first off the ks wont make your car wont start. its just activating from aother problem but if you want to test anyway i use the 1 side to ground and the side to signal side. what other codes are you getting
Old 02-16-2005, 09:43 AM
MMM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by C MAX
first off the ks wont make your car wont start. its just activating from aother problem but if you want to test anyway i use the 1 side to ground and the side to signal side. what other codes are you getting

there's no other codes,(0304 repeats)
if ks won't affact start, is there any other way to find out the source other than the ecu codes?
thanks,
Old 02-16-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MMM
there's no other codes,(0304 repeats)
if ks won't affact start, is there any other way to find out the source other than the ecu codes?
thanks,
what are you pulling the codes with. ive been hearing about this 304 code but havent seen it in the manual, i throw a 325 code which is ks code in the nissan bible that must be some sort of ghost code meaning it detected a knock. when my car couldnt start i found it to be my camsensor. also the crank position sensor causes the car not to start. im really guessing from my experiences and with more info thats all i can do. make sure those sensors are plugged in and if possible test them if you can. did the car do anything befor it just died. are you auto or manual
Old 02-16-2005, 10:03 AM
MMM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by C MAX
what are you pulling the codes with. ive been hearing about this 304 code but havent seen it in the manual, i throw a 325 code which is ks code in the nissan bible that must be some sort of ghost code meaning it detected a knock. when my car couldnt start i found it to be my camsensor. also the crank position sensor causes the car not to start. im really guessing from my experiences and with more info thats all i can do. make sure those sensors are plugged in and if possible test them if you can. did the car do anything befor it just died. are you auto or manual
I got the code by turning the screw in ecu and counting the check engine light.
the car failed the start in the morning for cold start, actually, some of the cylinders must get fired for half second, then all died out.
btw, when I turned on the ignition key now, it is still cranking.
it is auto T
Old 02-16-2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by MMM
I got the code by turning the screw in ecu and counting the check engine light.
the car failed the start in the morning for cold start, actually, some of the cylinders must get fired for half second, then all died out.
btw, when I turned on the ignition key now, it is still cranking.
it is auto T
its hard to tell the codes that way to me. i use a obd and it displays the actual problems. from what your telling me its the cam sensor located on your timing chain cover. try and test it if you can or swap out with someone very easy to do.