4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WHERE is the o2 sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 11:59 PM

I just got the Stillen Hi Flow today and dropped it in my car. The directions were easy to follow even though they weren't really neccesary for this type of mod... this kit is quality stuff and everything fit nicely. Now my foot is glued to the throttle that sound is so addicting... I wasted a buttload of gas today driving around at WOT. My question is what happened to the air temperature sensor that is supposed to be plugged in the hole that the filter came with?? After I finished screwing in all the brackets and went to put the filter on it was nowhere to be found... I thought I would be pulling it off the old airbox but I didn't see anything like it around. Now I have a useless hole at the top of the filter that I just stuck a piece of tape over... it would really suck if the tape came off and my engine pulled in some dirty air. I drive a 98 SE... did this model happen to come without one or something? Anyone else with a 98 SE please enlighten me.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by jerzeeMax
I just got the Stillen Hi Flow today and dropped it in my car. The directions were easy to follow even though they weren't really neccesary for this type of mod... this kit is quality stuff and everything fit nicely. Now my foot is glued to the throttle that sound is so addicting... I wasted a buttload of gas today driving around at WOT. My question is what happened to the air temperature sensor that is supposed to be plugged in the hole that the filter came with?? After I finished screwing in all the brackets and went to put the filter on it was nowhere to be found... I thought I would be pulling it off the old airbox but I didn't see anything like it around. Now I have a useless hole at the top of the filter that I just stuck a piece of tape over... it would really suck if the tape came off and my engine pulled in some dirty air. I drive a 98 SE... did this model happen to come without one or something? Anyone else with a 98 SE please enlighten me.
Your 4Gen Maxima has three Oxygen Sensors. The two front sensors are in the Y-pipe and the rear sensor is located just downstream of the Catalytic Converter.

None of the Oxygen Sensors is anywhere near the air box. Perhaps you have confused the Oxygen Sensor with the Intake Air Temperature Sensor.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:28 AM

Thats what I said!! I just put o2 in the title for short, I know they are two different things but you get the idea... sorry if this confused anyone. Yes I am speaking of the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor. Does anyone happen to know where the wire and grommet is? I always thought there would be one coming from the airbox somewhere, Stillen has conveniently drilled a hole for me to plug it into and I would like to make use of it. But there seems to be no trace of it. Any thoughts Daniel? Its interesting, I always see people who got the older model complaining about having no place to stick the sensor and now that I got the newer one with the hole I have no sensor. I just want to remove that ugly piece of duct tape I used to plug it with.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:58 AM

Terminology is important

Thats what I said!! I just put o2 in the title for short, I know they are two different things but you get the idea... ...
I don't want to be too harsh on you, but when you are asking for help you have an obligation to phrase your question accurately. What you did was similar to asking "where is my oil pump?" when you really meant "where is my water pump?". Terminology is important.

... Yes I am speaking of the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor. Does anyone happen to know where the wire and grommet is? ...
On my stock '99 Maxima the AATS is plugged into the black plastic air duct. Put your finger on the end of the starter motor. Move your finger up two inches and toward the driver side of the car one inch. You are touching the AATS.