4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

VW GTI VR6 5spd vs.Maxi 5 spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 06:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This kid just got a brand new VW GTI VR6 and he claims 100% he can beat me at a race 100%...Im completly stock with only a FSTB and we both have 5 spd's. i need some real feedback on this on who whould win or who you think would win ...thanks guys..

I have complete confidence in the maxi...i think i would win

Old 05-01-2001, 07:24 AM
Administrator

If you race on the highway or from a roll he is going to kill you..

if you race from a dead stop and you are a good launcher .. they you might have a chance..

i raced my friends.. his is BONE STOCK.. he hangs with me on the highway.. and i run 14.7 1/4 mile.. so i figure i can take him off the line.. they have wierd gearing.. excellent from 40 mph to 100 mph
Old 05-01-2001, 07:37 AM

alright

Originally posted by SprintMax

if you race from a dead stop and you are a good launcher .. they you might have a chance..

i raced my friends.. his is BONE STOCK.. he hangs with me on the highway.. and i run 14.7 1/4 mile.. so i figure i can take him off the line.. they have wierd gearing.. excellent from 40 mph to 100 mph
Well im gonna race him from dead stop and i need to beat him...i need more feedback on this becasue every one of his friends say he'll beat me and my friends say ill beat him...more feedback please i need to know if i should race... ?
Old 05-01-2001, 07:52 AM

Id be pretty confident in taking him 0 - 60, just watch out on the highway.

peace
Old 05-01-2001, 08:03 AM

Interesting you would say weird gearing. I once met a Jetta VR6 on the hi-way. We were both doing about 80. We start to go at it, the traffic was a bit heavy and you had to do daring moves weaving in and out etc, to get ahead. He was way more daring and risky than I was, but once the road opened up, I went after him. He had gained 3 car lengths on me during the weaving bit, but on the open road, I slowly started pulling him in. Right at about 130 mph, I think he ran out of steam, my pickup increased. BUT, as I was getting ready to pass, going 135 to 140, we came into more traffic again, I slowed down, he did his crazy weaving (sometimes jumping into the shoulder!), and I let it go.

From that experience I gathered that those VWs may have closer gearing, making acceleration better, but reducing top speed a little, like 130 instead of 135 or 140. That would make sense for a car from autobahn land. Make it so it can get to top speed very quickly, and stay there all day.

DW

Old 05-01-2001, 08:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hehhe kick his butt for me! tell him his car is overpriced and that he MUST be a preppy dweeb! just kidding. :P

good luck! they're not bad little cars--pretty powerful for their size! I hope you take him!
Old 05-01-2001, 08:30 AM

i dont know

.he is so confidnet that he'll win but i am too..it will be close i need some more insite sorry guys first race i need to beet this GTI...he is 110% sure he will win..hes starting to **** me off
Old 05-01-2001, 10:14 AM

while he is stock I think you'll take him... but once he puts on an exhuast and intake... you lose even if you mod like crazy
Old 05-01-2001, 11:28 AM
Administrator

For some reason the Jetta vr6 and the Golf GTI vr6 are two different animals.. ither my friend is the best driver in the world and all the jetta's i have race are not.. but i have never had problems blowing jettas away on the highway.. but its not the same for my friend
Originally posted by dwapenyi
Interesting you would say weird gearing. I once met a Jetta VR6 on the hi-way. We were both doing about 80. We start to go at it, the traffic was a bit heavy and you had to do daring moves weaving in and out etc, to get ahead. He was way more daring and risky than I was, but once the road opened up, I went after him. He had gained 3 car lengths on me during the weaving bit, but on the open road, I slowly started pulling him in. Right at about 130 mph, I think he ran out of steam, my pickup increased. BUT, as I was getting ready to pass, going 135 to 140, we came into more traffic again, I slowed down, he did his crazy weaving (sometimes jumping into the shoulder!), and I let it go.

From that experience I gathered that those VWs may have closer gearing, making acceleration better, but reducing top speed a little, like 130 instead of 135 or 140. That would make sense for a car from autobahn land. Make it so it can get to top speed very quickly, and stay there all day.

DW

Old 05-01-2001, 11:30 AM
Administrator

well this is funny.. ask Russ about the STOCK Golf GTI vr6 he just raced in his 2k1 Max SE 5spd and how the guy beat him..

Originally posted by theblue
while he is stock I think you'll take him... but once he puts on an exhuast and intake... you lose even if you mod like crazy
Old 05-01-2001, 11:53 AM

Weel, like I said before, this jetta gained his ground in the weaving, and I kept cathing up after that.
Had it been an out and out gun for it scenario with no traffic, then I think things would have been different.

DW
For some reason the Jetta vr6 and the Golf GTI vr6 are two different animals.. ither my friend is the best driver in the world and all the jetta's i have race are not.. but i have never had problems blowing jettas away on the highway.. but its not the same for my friend
Old 05-01-2001, 12:13 PM

so

Originally posted by matty
This kid just got a brand new VW GTI VR6 and he claims 100% he can beat me at a race 100%...Im completly stock with only a FSTB and we both have 5 spd's. i need some real feedback on this on who whould win or who you think would win ...thanks guys..

I have complete confidence in the maxi...i think i would win

SO you think ill beat him or what...i really dont wanna go 130 just to prove my point...ill get f'ed by the cops
Old 05-01-2001, 12:30 PM

Re: so

Originally posted by matty

SO you think ill beat him or what...i really dont wanna go 130 just to prove my point...ill get f'ed by the cops
It will be close, but you have 20 more HP and torque + he is new to driving his car so you have a slight advantage. He is only a couple 100 pounds lighter (3000) I've taken out VR6s before, but once they start modding then you will need to have a lot more mods than they do.

I see no reason that you can't take him in a 1/4 type race.
Old 05-01-2001, 12:31 PM

i raced a GTi VR6 just last thursday. they are damn fast. we were at a light and he revved at me. paul and i were like, "uhh... oook." so i decided to race him OFF the bottle. the light turns green and we both spin but i come out of it earlier and get almost a car on him in first gear. through second gear he didn't appear to be gaining on me so i let off just a little bit at the top of second gear because there was a slight curve, but letting off that split second put him right beside me. i shift to 3rd and we are side by side through the curve(i'm on the outside so if it were straight i'd actually be creeping on him). we come out of the curve and i hit 4th and the start to walk him. i talked to him at the next light and his car was stock except for exhaust. i asked if he wanted to race again. he said yes. i thought to myself, "screw this" and i turned the nitrous on. light turns green and i just drive normally and then full throttle at 3000rpm. i just left him and stopped halfway through second cuz he was already too far behind.

bottom line: it's quick.
Old 05-01-2001, 01:59 PM

I raced a '99 yellow GTI VR6 5-speed a few weeks ago..the guy goes to my school....we were jockeying for position to get past a truck...and I got in front of him at about 40. As soon as I got past the truck, I knew he was going to try and fly by me, so I waited til he floored it (when he switched lanes), and I gunned it in 2nd....went to 110 mph...and I was AT LEAST 6-8 carlenghs on him....so by my experience..even stock you should be able to take him....but from what everyone else has said....who knows. Go for it....and good luck
Old 05-01-2001, 04:43 PM

What kidn of NOS?

Originally posted by sx7r
i raced a GTi VR6 just last thursday. they are damn fast. we were at a light and he revved at me. paul and i were like, "uhh... oook." so i decided to race him OFF the bottle. the light turns green and we both spin but i come out of it earlier and get almost a car on him in first gear. through second gear he didn't appear to be gaining on me so i let off just a little bit at the top of second gear because there was a slight curve, but letting off that split second put him right beside me. i shift to 3rd and we are side by side through the curve(i'm on the outside so if it were straight i'd actually be creeping on him). we come out of the curve and i hit 4th and the start to walk him. i talked to him at the next light and his car was stock except for exhaust. i asked if he wanted to race again. he said yes. i thought to myself, "screw this" and i turned the nitrous on. light turns green and i just drive normally and then full throttle at 3000rpm. i just left him and stopped halfway through second cuz he was already too far behind.

Old 05-01-2001, 04:48 PM

I don't a clue about these cars. Why are they so fast? They don't look fast on the outside. So, what is it? The lighter weight, gearing, or what? I guess they are on the same level as Audi cars. I know a few who has a '00 Audi A4 manual. All he got so far is an exhaust and some kind of chip. That along, he is fast as heck. Of course, he blew me away easiy. When he was stock, I could take him, but it was close. I told him to wait until I get my supercharger. Then again, he said he'll get a bigger turbo too.
Old 05-01-2001, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by duplex
What kidn of NOS?

what do you mean what kind? the kind in the blue bottle...lol. 100shot. i wasn't on the bottle until i raced him the second time.
Old 05-01-2001, 04:52 PM

, how much and will it work on my 96 auto?
thanx
Old 05-01-2001, 05:05 PM

, how much and will it work on my 96 auto?
thanx
if you're a stock automatic, i wouldn't do more than a 50 or 60 shot. you can get a kit for $375 from JC Whitney. there's some promotion going on, some others know the details better than me.
Old 05-01-2001, 05:15 PM
Administrator

http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=49791

if you're a stock automatic, i wouldn't do more than a 50 or 60 shot. you can get a kit for $375 from JC Whitney. there's some promotion going on, some others know the details better than me.
Old 05-01-2001, 05:29 PM

thanks, do u knwo if i need anythign else with NOS for auto?
Old 05-01-2001, 05:46 PM
Administrator

FP Gauge, A/F Gauge, RPM Window Switch, EGT Gauge.. are all optional..
thanks, do u knwo if i need anythign else with NOS for auto?
Old 05-01-2001, 07:54 PM

I don't have a bottle, just send him to race me.

Old 05-01-2001, 08:22 PM

FP Gauge, A/F Gauge, RPM Window Switch, EGT Gauge.. are all optional..

I meant to keep the engien from dying
Old 05-02-2001, 06:39 AM

Hey sx7: have you ever run at a track? if so, what times do you pull on NOS (I'm guessing mid/low 13s)