4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hi-amp Alternator: Usage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 01:06 PM

Hi-amp Alternator: Usage?

Hello all,

My alternator died two days ago and it's time for a replacement. I contacted deezo for his alternator, and Art (Can-Am Motors) told me that they only have the 200 watt alt (no less and no more). My car does not have any system/audio/video installed and probably not in the near future. deezo mentioned to me in his thread a while back that his car runs smoother and his system no longer effect the driveability (no dimming when the bass hits, no funny idle, etc.).

Since my car does not have the system, I am wondering if there is any significant advantage of having higher amperage?

Another question, does anybody know who would produce something in the range of 150 amp?

All Nissan alternators are rebuilt these days and its quality varies from one to the other. I have been looking for the 125amp, but I haven't found it yet. If anybody has info in getting these super-rare alts in good condition, please let me know.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nope no advantage unless you going to consume more power while driving. Like System, and other additional items which use a lot of amperage. Your alternator will only charge you battery back with higher amperage until it fully charged, then it will trickel charge you battery while driving. About 10 amps. If the alternator charges at a higher amperage all the time then the battery needs replacing. There are plenty of company that sell NEW alternators not rebuilt. I would recommend new instead of rebuilt. But it all depends on the rebuilder. Make sure you get the right one the are 2 types of alternators for the 1999 model. They both will work but one has higher amperage that the other.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Custom User Title...

didn't the i30 have one with a higher rating than the maxima?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by joeeey
Nope no advantage unless you going to consume more power while driving. Like System, and other additional items which use a lot of amperage. Your alternator will only charge you battery back with higher amperage until it fully charged, then it will trickel charge you battery while driving. About 10 amps. If the alternator charges at a higher amperage all the time then the battery needs replacing. There are plenty of company that sell NEW alternators not rebuilt. I would recommend new instead of rebuilt. But it all depends on the rebuilder. Make sure you get the right one the are 2 types of alternators for the 1999 model. They both will work but one has higher amperage that the other.
You sir, do not know what you're talking about. Your alternator runs all electrical components of your car and charges the battery at the same time. This is constant. The alternator does not have the electronics to tell it when the battery is at full charge to allow a trickle charge.

There IS advantage to having a high output alternator, more HP and more power reserve for extras like lighting and a stereo system.

Please do your research before answering. Wrong answers don't help anyone.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 PM

Deezo, I've been in the Automotive buisness of over 12 years & certified by ASE as a Master Tech & NYS Aproved tech. SO Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I'll prove you wrong. goto a mechanic shop that Has an AVR ( Bettery & charging system tester) and ask him to hook up the amp probe to your vehicle along with the Battery leads. Load the battery 125 amp for 15 seconds. Start the vehicle and watch the amp readings. You see that after start up the amps wil run around 50 - 60 amps unitl the battery recharges.THEN the amps will drop down to about 10 - 15 amps. Your right there is an advantage to having IF ( IF IS THE KEY WORD HERE) you have additional items. ARDIKA Stated that he is not going to add A system of other items. So before you reply you should find out what your talking about. Peace
Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 PM

Deezo, I've been in the Automotive buisness of over 12 years & certified by ASE as a Master Tech & NYS Aproved tech. SO Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I'll prove you wrong. goto a mechanic shop that Has an AVR ( Bettery & charging system tester) and ask him to hook up the amp probe to your vehicle along with the Battery leads. Load the battery 125 amp for 15 seconds. Start the vehicle and watch the amp readings. You see that after start up the amps wil run around 50 - 60 amps unitl the battery recharges.THEN the amps will drop down to about 10 - 15 amps. Your right there is an advantage to having IF ( IF IS THE KEY WORD HERE) you have additional items. ARDIKA Stated that he is not going to add A system of other items. So before you reply you should find out what your talking about. Peace
Here we go with the ASE Certified bullcrap. You don't have to wait for me to go do a test, post the info here. I can post tons of info about aftermarket alternators and call my contact from Can Am (Art). I did a lot of research before I bought mine.
Even if Ardika doesn't add a system, there WILL be an advantage to having an upgraded alternator. Next.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:33 PM

I just want to understand why you are stating I'm wrong. Are you telling me that a alternator that is 125 amps will always charge 125 amps? I'm sorry but that aint so. 125 amps is the maxium output. Thats it. Only the maxuim not contiously charging 125 amp. To gain so more amps for performance add the multi ground straps to you motor.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:41 PM

I'm telling you that there is a gain whether you have extras in your car or not.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:42 PM

OK well just let it go. Peace
Old 02-17-2005, 06:17 PM

joeey: I got your point regarding the alternator will only trickle charge the battery once it's full, do you think the extra amperage would harm the car?

For example, suppose I have 200 amp alternator and at idle it will give me around 175 (I have the UDP pulley). Out of this 175, 60 or so would be used to charge the battery and the rest is for engine management. Now, once I am up and cruising steadily at 74mph (2600 rpm), suppose the alt will churn out aorund 225 and my battery is already full, will these "extra amperage" end up hurting the alternator/other electrical system?

deezo: Called up Art today, he is very helpful. He mentioned that they did not make any other model than the 200 amp. He also said the price is still the same, and I could order it with any color they have (included in the price). I would like to find some researches before deciding which one I want to buy. I am really looking around 150 or so, since I don't need 200....but let's see. Thanks for your info though, really appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 PM

Of corse not. The extra amperage is fine, It will supply you with more amps if you need it. It dosen't work the way you explain it. OK You car will not charge at 175 unless you draw a ton of amps while running, Your max will NEVER stay at the maxium output of the alternator. Thats what the regulator does. It regulates the voltage and the amperage. Maybe High performace Alternator can be hooked up to charge higher, but charging too many amps for a long time will boil your battery. Thats why the amperage drops after the battery is fully charged. The only way you will charge contiousey at 200 amp is if your battery will not take a charge. I'm sure is you call Art he'll agree. Extra power is nice to know it there if you need it.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/784221
Old 02-17-2005, 06:33 PM

joeeey: Thanks, I got it now. I did not realize we have a regulator in the car. The only reason I see now to go with Can-am alternators is because I know they will make a new one.

If I could find another place who could build a good one with less $$ and less amperage, I would go with that place. Perhaps it's time to hit the Yellow Pages in Wisconsin/Chicago area.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:34 PM

how much did u find the 150 and 200's for? I think my alt is on its last few km's ....
Old 02-17-2005, 08:07 PM

I am still looking for the 150. The 200 is US$ 410 plus shipping. They have a small website at http://www.canammotors.com

I believe FLO_BOY just got his alty replaced and he is also from Toronto. You might want to check with him about the place where he got his done.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:26 AM
blah

Originally Posted by deezo
The alternator does not have the electronics to tell it when the battery is at full charge to allow a trickle charge.
I'm not an alternator guru, but isn't the electronics that tell an alternator whether or not the electrical system is getting enough juice called the voltage regulator? I've heard of people having bad voltage regulators and their cars voltage shot up to 16V DC from their normal 14v DC.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:29 AM

yeah. . .if anyone knows of a place to find a 125 or something around there, that'd be great. My alternator's making some groaning noises, so it may be on the way out. I don't think i need to spend $400 on a 200, but spending a little extra coin for a 125 or something would be worth it to know that there's a little extra if i need it. I don't run anything special. . .but i do plug a portable gps in the cig lighter from time to time, charge my cell phone, and am planning on upgrading my stereo (NOT a system. . .just a new head unit and speakers)

-James
Old 02-18-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Batxel
I'm not an alternator guru, but isn't the electronics that tell an alternator whether or not the electrical system is getting enough juice called the voltage regulator? I've heard of people having bad voltage regulators and their cars voltage shot up to 16V DC from their normal 14v DC.
That's correct. But some alts don't and the Hitachi/Lester alts for our cars do.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:15 AM
blah

Well I assumed almost all cars had voltage regulators....

Anyway, how difficult is it to swap because I'm interested in hi output one. I saw the write up for replacing it, but I was wondering if there are any extreme difficulties that people run into during the process like rust and stuff. My stock alternator seems to be slowing getting worse and its coming to the point where when I just have my headlights on (stereo off) and use my turn signal my dash lights dim. Currenty its running at about 13.35V with everything off.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Batxel
Well I assumed almost all cars had voltage regulators....
Some are external and some are internal.

Anyway, how difficult is it to swap because I'm interested in hi output one. I saw the write up for replacing it, but I was wondering if there are any extreme difficulties that people run into during the process like rust and stuff. My stock alternator seems to be slowing getting worse and its coming to the point where when I just have my headlights on (stereo off) and use my turn signal my dash lights dim. Currenty its running at about 13.35V with everything off.
It's not hard if you've done it before but it takes some time and strong arms if you're going to remove it from the bottom of the car.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Of corse not. The extra amperage is fine, It will supply you with more amps if you need it. It dosen't work the way you explain it. OK You car will not charge at 175 unless you draw a ton of amps while running, Your max will NEVER stay at the maxium output of the alternator. Thats what the regulator does. It regulates the voltage and the amperage. Maybe High performace Alternator can be hooked up to charge higher, but charging too many amps for a long time will boil your battery. Thats why the amperage drops after the battery is fully charged. The only way you will charge contiousey at 200 amp is if your battery will not take a charge. I'm sure is you call Art he'll agree. Extra power is nice to know it there if you need it.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/784221

You couldn't be more right about what you are saying about alternators and the way they work.
If an alternator was to constantly charge a battery at full charge it would kill a battery, hence why I have changed so many alternators for "overcharging" - why casue the regulator is shot and it is not regulating the power output to the battery properly. (a battery can only hold and take so much)If you have an alternator that is 200 amps or 125 amps it will charge accrodingly to what the requirements of the battery/vehicle requires.
As for deezo saying that it doesn't have the ability to know where or not the battery is full or not, then saying that yes it does have a voltage regulator on the vehicle.....WTF.....which one?

Look at it this way for people who know about stereo's and amps. You have an amp that is 1000 Watts "max", ok, so its 1000 watss max, but has a rating of 250 RMS.......so hence it doesn't always run @ 1000 but mostly likely around the 250 mark. If it needs to it can goto 1000, but it probally doesn't. Hence the RMS rating system. An alternator weather it be 125 or 250, will charge your battery with what it needs, it may only need a 50 amp draw, so it charges it @ 50 amps, but one day it might need 200, so it will charge it @ 200, and so on and so on and so on.........
Old 02-18-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by StreetWyze
As for deezo saying that it doesn't have the ability to know where or not the battery is full or not, then saying that yes it does have a voltage regulator on the vehicle.....WTF.....which one?.....
Look, I forgot about the regulator and the last time I looked, it was ok to correct myself when I'm not thinking about everything all at the times when I should.

Either way, your buddy said that their was no advantage to using a high output alt over a stocker which is wrong. Moving right along..............
Old 02-18-2005, 09:26 PM

Alternator Update

Let me make this short. If you guys want to find 150-175 amps alternator, don't bother, since I could find nobody who builds one. Your best bet would be deezo's supplier, the Canam Motors. They have the cheapest alternator for our car ($410) with 200 amps. I asked other places and one of them wants at least $599 for 200 amps.

If you need the 125 amps, you could buy them from Bosch. It's the same part number as the Infiniti 97 and you could either get a brand new one ($204 plus shipping and tax) or remanufactured one ($160 plus tax). Make sure you want it for Infiniti, since the Maximas alternator from Bosch is only available with 110 amps.

I did order the new Bosch one, hopefully it will get here by late next week. Finding places who still build a "brand new" alty for our Maximas are harder than I thought.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:26 PM

So how many amps does a stock Alternator put out? I need to get mine beefed up. Running 2 amplifiers caused the original one to quit so now i'm on my second alternator and the lights still dim even if I hold the RPM at 3K. I even have a 1 Farad Cap.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:34 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

no one tests out an alternator at idle. your supposted to put the inductive pick up on the cable(forward bias) and start the car, then rev up the engine to 2000rpms and then turn up the amps on the AVR/VAT until the amps max out or the battery voltage drops to 12v. while the car revved to 2000rpms you can feel the amount of amperage that is being used, the rpms will slowly fall and you'll need more effort to put that pedal down to increase out put of the alternator. a high output alternator will help you vehical. if you dont have the money you can also get a larger pully. or increase the rotor's magnetic feild/ add more windings to the stator.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:36 AM

I dunno where I heard this, but I recall that SOMEONE told me that the SE's or SE Limited had a higher amp alt. I think I might have even read it on the internet somewhere...but then again we all know about internet info. Anybody know if this is true or not?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:05 AM
blah

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
I dunno where I heard this, but I recall that SOMEONE told me that the SE's or SE Limited had a higher amp alt. I think I might have even read it on the internet somewhere...but then again we all know about internet info. Anybody know if this is true or not?
I believe I saw it in the stickies. It said something like if you have the cold weather package your max will be equipped with a 125 amp alt otherwise it will have a 110 amp.

Deezo, whats the output of that alt at idle? Eventhough somebody said nobody tests at idle I personally feel thats the most important time since thats when everything is dimming.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ardika
If you need the 125 amps, you could buy them from Bosch. It's the same part number as the Infiniti 97 and you could either get a brand new one ($204 plus shipping and tax) or remanufactured one ($160 plus tax). Make sure you want it for Infiniti, since the Maximas alternator from Bosch is only available with 110 amps.

I did order the new Bosch one, hopefully it will get here by late next week. Finding places who still build a "brand new" alty for our Maximas are harder than I thought.
So are you saying the 125 amp infinity alternator will work just fine in the maxima? where'd you get it and what's the part number?

Thanks!
-James
Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 PM

It (should) work fine since both are the same car, fitting wise. Output wise, if you are using stock everything, it should work fine. If you have a system, call up Can Am Motors and get their alty.

Mine should be here either today or tomorrow. I have just reinstalled the battery in the car, fully recharged.