4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Attn Daniel B: Vacuum Cut Valve Bypass Valve *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 09:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Daniel,
I remove the VCVBV and performed the bench test like you advised in this post : http://216.122.219.59/forums/showthr...threadid=36535

The valve operated as you said it should... impossible to blow air into it when not powered, and air easily passed through the valves when I applied 12v of DC. Now, I thought perhaps it might be the wiring on the veh, so I hooked it back up to the electrical connector on the car and repeated the test with the key turned on (engine not running). Again, it performed as you said it should. Any other ideas? I still get the CE light pointing to this problem - 0801 - so any other ideas what I may try?

Thanks so much!
Old 05-01-2001, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by CKNY
Daniel,
I remove the VCVBV and performed the bench test like you advised in this post : http://216.122.219.59/forums/showthr...threadid=36535

The valve operated as you said it should... impossible to blow air into it when not powered, and air easily passed through the valves when I applied 12v of DC. Now, I thought perhaps it might be the wiring on the veh, so I hooked it back up to the electrical connector on the car and repeated the test with the key turned on (engine not running). Again, it performed as you said it should. Any other ideas? I still get the CE light pointing to this problem - 0801 - so any other ideas what I may try?

Thanks so much!
The factory service manual says DTC 0801 is caused by the valve or the wiring and connector which connect to the valve.

You might contact your local friendly Nissan dealer and ask if there is any recall on this part or any Technical Service Bulletin which gives further information.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
The factory service manual says DTC 0801 is caused by the valve or the wiring and connector which connect to the valve.

You might contact your local friendly Nissan dealer and ask if there is any recall on this part or any Technical Service Bulletin which gives further information.
I double triple and quardruple checked the code and it's 0801. My dealer is really unhelpful - they won't talk to me about a problem, they don't believe that people should be pulling their own codes!! What do you recommend daniel? I guess I should get the diagnostic done, but I just can't stand the thought of paying someone $70 to tell me that the valve needs replacing. Since the code says it's the valve, would you go ahead and replace the valved anyway? I just need your advice because I trust your opinion - what would you do in my shoes?
Old 05-02-2001, 07:31 AM

I double triple and quardruple checked the code and it's 0801. My dealer is really unhelpful - they won't talk to me about a problem, they don't believe that people should be pulling their own codes!! What do you recommend daniel? ...
You have two problems. You have a car problem and a dealer problem.

A good doctor knows that he and his patient are partners in restoration and maintenance of health. The doctor wants the patient to be well-informed and take an active interest in his medical treatment. In my opinion a good dealer has the same attitude, and encourages the vehicle owner to understand his car. A bad dealer prefers ignorant customers, timid sheep who won't ask embarassing questions.

Is there another Nissan dealer you could patronize?
Old 05-02-2001, 07:44 AM

I guess I should get the diagnostic done, but I just can't stand the thought of paying someone $70 to tell me that the valve needs replacing. Since the code says it's the valve, would you go ahead and replace the valved anyway? I just need your advice because I trust your opinion - what would you do in my shoes?
You have several options.

1) Try a different dealer. Perhaps you will find one who is more cooperative.

2) Buy a replacement valve, preferably from one of the Nissan dealers who sells genuine parts at a discount. Install it yourself. I'd hold off on this, because you already tested your valve and determined it to be good. There's nothing to be gained by replacing a good valve with a good valve.

3) Put your Maxima in the dealer's hands. Expect a big bill.

4) Continue to do diagnostic work on your own. From this point on it becomes more difficult and you may be reluctant to do this. That's understandable.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:40 AM

Instructions for further diagnostics

... I guess I should get the diagnostic done, but I just can't stand the thought of paying someone $70 to tell me that the valve needs replacing. Since the code says it's the valve, would you go ahead and replace the valved anyway? I just need your advice because I trust your opinion - what would you do in my shoes?
Here are instructions for further investigation of the wiring for the VBVCV.

1) Check fuse #17 (10 amps). The passenger cabin fuse block is located behind a pull-out panel in the lower dashboard, to the left of the steering column. It has three columns of fuses.
Numbered from bottom to top....
- the left-hand column contains fuses 1 - 11
- the middle column contains fuses 12 - 26
- the right-hand column contains fuses 27 - 40

The numbers are molded into the plastic fuse block. They are not easy to
read. A flashlight will be helpful.

2) Disconnect the VCVBV. Look at the connector which leads away from the valve. This is connector B51. It should have a green plastic shell with two wires: red with a yellow tracer, and orange with a green tracer. Measure the voltage between ground and the red/yellow wire. With the ignition key OFF it should have zero volts, with the ignition key ON it should have 12 volts.

3) Make written notes of the radio station presets.

4) Disconnect both battery terminal clamps. Wait three minutes. Disconnect the large connector at the Engine Control Module. This monster has more than 100 terminals. Looking into the face of the connector, you should see eight distinct groupings of terminals. At the left end you should see a group of three terminals. At the right end you should see a group of twelve terminals, arranged as three rows with four terminals in each row. Focus on the lowest row in this group of twelve. Starting with the one in the corner they are numbered 117-120. Examine the wire which leads to terminal 120. It should be orange with a green tracer. Use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between terminal 120 and the VCVBV orange/green wire terminal. The resistance should be zero.

5) Reconnect connector B51 at the VCVBV.

6) Carefully and gently reconnect the ECM connector. Tighten the securing bolt to 26-43 inch-pounds.

7) Reconnect both battery terminals.

8) Use the notes made in step 3 to restore the radio station presets.

9) Set the clock to the correct time.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:58 AM

Re: Instructions for further diagnostics

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Here are instructions for further investigation of the wiring for the VBVCV.

4) Disconnect both battery terminal clamps. Wait three minutes. Disconnect the large connector at the Engine Control Module. This monster has more than 100 terminals. Looking into the face of the connector, you should see eight distinct groupings of terminals. At the left end you should see a group of three terminals. At the right end you should see a group of twelve terminals, arranged as three rows with four terminals in each row. Focus on the lowest row in this group of twelve. Starting with the one in the corner they are numbered 117-120. Examine the wire which leads to terminal 120. It should be orange with a green tracer. Use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance between terminal 120 and the VCVBV orange/green wire terminal. The resistance should be zero.
This seems like my logical next step. I will look into it tommorow for certain. Thank You Daniel.