4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AGX longevity with Sprint

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 04:23 PM

AGX longevity with Sprint

Hey guys,

Looks like I might be getting a set of AGX's with Sprints soon. For those who have the same setup, I need to know how long have you had yours and if the struts are surviving the drop or is it blowing quickly. I have a set of GC's that I might use instead, if the Sprints are blowing the struts a lot sooner. Also, how much of the bump stops would you guys recommend I cut and what would you use to cut it down with? Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:32 PM
SomePsychoGuy

I don't have that setup. I have the Eibach with Illuminas. However my friend has that setup and the AGXs should last the life of the car for the most part. I would thing that GCs would wear them more having a stiffer spring and potential to be lower.

Not sure about the bump stops. Mine were gone so I just got the TRW/KYB ones.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Going from AGX/Sprint to AGX/Ground Control is going from bad to worse.

Out on southern CA your roads are pretty smooth, the AGX's should last a very long time.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:31 AM

i have AGX/Sprints. I dont mind it. It ride a little harsh in the winter here up north. But in the spring or summer it rides fine. Ive had my agxs and sprints since last spring, so almost a year and i havent had any problems. here are a few pics for ride height...

check out the thread for some more pics.. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378781

Good luck man... If you need any help hit me with a PM.

BTW: i dont think you want to use those GCs, ive only heard bad things about them. If you really want the coilovers go with a true coilover setup. These is a group deal on D2s i believe. I really wish i would have went that route. For the extra $200? you could have the best suspension out there. There is also Tein Basics, and JICs( ) Good luck.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the heads-up guys. I have been on GC's on stock struts for about 7 months now. I'm actually used to it, but I know the stock struts are gone although I don't see any leaks coming from them...yet! I'm on 17" wheels and 50 series tires and I'm low watching out for every bumps and dips. I know with the sprint, the tires will probably almost tuck inside the wheel well. I really have to watch where I go then. But based on everyone's comments, looks like my ride will be better.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sean05, what size tires are you running? I have sprint/illumina and my gap is much much larger than yours!

BTW, don't struts wear out? And the AGX have lifetime warranty on them, so replace them when they're dead. 1 of my illumina died pretty quick... hoping it's just a defect from the factory. They're set full stiff on smooth roads here. I wanna drop the rear to 4 tho... the rear end skips sometimes.

Jae
Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
sean05, what size tires are you running? I have sprint/illumina and my gap is much much larger than yours!

BTW, don't struts wear out? And the AGX have lifetime warranty on them, so replace them when they're dead. 1 of my illumina died pretty quick... hoping it's just a defect from the factory. They're set full stiff on smooth roads here. I wanna drop the rear to 4 tho... the rear end skips sometimes.

Jae
The wheels are 18 x 8.5. The tires are Hankook 245/40. And yes they did rub they actually rubbed a hole in my fender panel. After i lowered the car it doesnt do it much at all.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Custom User Title

I have about 15k miles on my sprint/agx setup. no problems so far.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:46 PM

haha park a maxima on the tracks SWEET
Old 02-21-2005, 05:34 AM

I had 15k miles on my Sprint/AGX combo and loved every minute of it. I switched to Tein H-Techs with hopes of installing SFCs, but haven't gotten around to it. Struts don't seem to have any problems with 20k miles on them now.

-Cyrus
Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 AM

Well, from the looks of things, I might not be on this set-up afterall. There is still hope but its slim. I wen't to Brian's house last nite, the one selling his AGX/Sprint. He already had the front and rear taken off. So I proceeded to tear out mine with a big smile in my face. In a matter of minutes, well in 15 minutes, I got the front passenger strut off. I was able to put in the AGX/Sprint for half the time it took to get mine out! I lowered the jack and daaaaaaaaaamn! Only 1 finger gap!! Right when I was about to start on the rear one, Brian could not get the strut that came off of my car in his! We fought and struggled with it for about 45 mins and we couldn't get the LCA to move down further enough to align the 2 lower mounting holes. I called another org member to try to get some suggestions but the jack method didn't work. We concluded that something is bent in his front suspension that nothing will line up with the strut. So I had to take mine back.

Seeing how low my car was with the AGX/Sprint, I began to wonder if my car would scrape a lot more up and down driveways and over speed bumps. I mean my car was low even with the 17" wheel and 50 series tires. I am concern that had I gotten them all on, I'd really bang the underside of my car everytime I go over bumps and dips. Anyone have similar experiences with the same suspension and wheel/tire combo?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 PM

Were both front wheels off the ground? From the limited description, it sounds like the front (anti)sway bar was doing it's job.

I rarely have a clearance issue. Drive smart and you won't have a problem. The worse is when I forget to compensate for the weight of extra passengers, but I should be taking it easy w/passengers anyways (though they get annoyed when you gotta go very slow at an angle for every dip/bump)

Jae
Old 02-22-2005, 11:46 PM
V^___^V

try tein-s tech w/ agx
Old 02-22-2005, 11:57 PM

I'm on the sprint/AGX combo, 17" wheels on 45 series tires.

I scrape, a lot. I love the way the car sits in the front. it's slightly lower than the rear wheel gap is. I wish the rear would be even, but it doesn't bother me that much. AGX's are set to 2/4 (front/rear). the ride is pretty harsh, I won't lie... but I've been riding on this setup for over 15K miles, so I'm used to it. my girlfriend complains, but she'll get over it.

again, I won't lie, if I could do it again, I would have gotten eibachs instead, but I'm satisfied enough with the sprints to keep them.

hope that helps.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by sean05
i have AGX/Sprints. I dont mind it. It ride a little harsh in the winter here up north. But in the spring or summer it rides fine. Ive had my agxs and sprints since last spring, so almost a year and i havent had any problems. here are a few pics for ride height...

check out the thread for some more pics.. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=378781

Good luck man... If you need any help hit me with a PM.

BTW: i dont think you want to use those GCs, ive only heard bad things about them. If you really want the coilovers go with a true coilover setup. These is a group deal on D2s i believe. I really wish i would have went that route. For the extra $200? you could have the best suspension out there. There is also Tein Basics, and JICs( ) Good luck.
nice setup
Old 02-23-2005, 11:07 AM

I take it easy as it is now with the G/C set at 1.5" of drop. I can't stand seeing a lowered car suddenly slow down and crawl over a dip or bump while forcing everyone else behind him to suddenly brake which is pretty dangerous and can cause accidents. I'd hate to be one of those guys. With my current setup, I have a 2-finger gap. With the Sprints I got 1-finger gap. It was terribly low to me. But the look is undeniable. I'd be happy if I can get a decent set of AGX's, used with low mileage for a decent price.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I may have a set of AGX's for sale.. PM with an offer.. They have 20k on them, great condition.

-Nick