4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone think of this yet

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 09:05 PM
be the change u want2C

Anyone think of this yet

I have a OBX type r Cat back right now, with complete exahaust, except headers. its sounds too weird, so i was thinking change it with a 02stock maxima exhaust, but then i downloaded a vid of a completely stock 350z reving, I love the notes that come out of that exhuast. So i want to adapt the cat back from a stock Z to our car, of course I know that its made for a dual exhaust system. But i was thinking just to cutting that one section off and seal it up.
What do you guys think?
Old 02-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know of there is atleast one 3rd gen and 5th gen who have done that, but they used G35 mufflers instead.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:19 PM
be the change u want2C

now that i come to think about it, i know a good exhaust shop who custom made my hole exhuast system, excpet for y pipe, i should just get them to make me 2 custom y's one off each header, make the second one curve down the original exhaust path on the underside. so there will be 2 exhausts going down the same path, except instead of one 2.5" there will be 2 2.0"going all the way down to the muffler. what about that. o yeah these guys are cheap to, they made my current exhaust set up, including hi-flow cat, for $240. There cheap cause i refered like 35 cars to them, heheehe
Old 02-19-2005, 10:11 PM

u wont have enough room...I wanted to do the whole TRUE dual exhaust thing also...yeah...there wasnt enough room...
Old 02-19-2005, 10:41 PM
be the change u want2C

ill make room, ill think of a good setup...
Old 02-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Hooooooonda.....

What a waste of time. That's all I can say, another one of your dumb ideas. Get out of the fast and the furious world and step into reality.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:28 PM
G

ouch thats harsh dave.

theres been a few people who have attempted this and failed. probably not worth the headache.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:53 PM

that would be pretty cool, but i do think that it will be a waste of time and money since it will probably take you more than one try and a lot of custom things to do. not worth it, just wait for someone else to do it first.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Does the 350 even have a true dual exhaust, I think not. It's not worth it. Just save yourself the time and money and save it up for the shrink you'll be needing as you get older.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:43 AM
be the change u want2C

what crawled up your a$$ and died dave, you angry cause the worlds been mistreating poor lil ol dave? Do you need a hug or something man
Old 02-20-2005, 01:45 AM
be the change u want2C

What you got done to your car, Mr dave... hows my idea dumb, cause you didnt think of it first, What does the fast and the furious have anything to do with it, get a life man,

--- Ninos
Old 02-20-2005, 06:12 AM

Well judging that Dave has installed a whole exhaust system including a headers project i would take it that he knows a little somthing about exhaust
Old 02-20-2005, 06:22 AM

I tried to be nice about saying you didnt have enough room...but yeah...and Dave...im sry to say this about you to...but I think that was a little harsh. I mean, im fairly new to this site so I dont know how many "dumb" ideas he has had, maybe a ton and everyone is sick of him. But im sure ppl on here get tired of me also making stupid posts. maybe he just doesnt know alot about exhaust...ANYWAYS!!! Ninos...I TOLD you it wouldnt fit, but good luck in whatever u wanna do...try not to waste to much money tho.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:25 AM
be the change u want2C

can someone post a pic of the bottom side on a max??? , I want to draw out my plan to show you what im thinking of...
Old 02-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Kenny, ninos is a self pronounced maxima expert so for him to come up with stuff like this is very stupid. You're new so you're not expected to know as much but trust me, reading the FAQ and other STICKIES will teach you a ton of stuff. People thought of dual exhausts on amax before they kicked your out to china, so for you to say that you came up with it before me is another dumb thing. If our car was RWD and the engine was turned 90* it would be easier, still kinda pointless. A true dual exhaust on amax would be rather pointless for the money it would cost to make. What exhaust shop would do this for you? They'd laugh at you firts and tell you you're wasting your time. How would you run 2 pipes in a tunnel made for one? You'd be scraping the bottom pipe over every bump. If yuo made them go on each side of the underbody, same thing. I also hope you do realize that both the 350z and the g35 have a single muffler, a rather big muffler that is more than half as wide as the 350 a g35 themselves. You'd need to crush the tire well in order to keep the 2 pipes the same length which is what you'd want I would think. In the end, yeah, dumb idea. Do what you want though, it's your car, it's your money, and it's your lack understanding people trying to tell you it's pointless to do.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Kenny, ninos is a self pronounced maxima expert so for him to come up with stuff like this is very stupid. You're new so you're not expected to know as much but trust me, reading the FAQ and other STICKIES will teach you a ton of stuff. People thought of dual exhausts on amax before they kicked your out to china, so for you to say that you came up with it before me is another dumb thing. If our car was RWD and the engine was turned 90* it would be easier, still kinda pointless. A true dual exhaust on amax would be rather pointless for the money it would cost to make. What exhaust shop would do this for you? They'd laugh at you firts and tell you you're wasting your time. How would you run 2 pipes in a tunnel made for one? You'd be scraping the bottom pipe over every bump. If yuo made them go on each side of the underbody, same thing. I also hope you do realize that both the 350z and the g35 have a single muffler, a rather big muffler that is more than half as wide as the 350 a g35 themselves. You'd need to crush the tire well in order to keep the 2 pipes the same length which is what you'd want I would think. In the end, yeah, dumb idea. Do what you want though, it's your car, it's your money, and it's your lack understanding people trying to tell you it's pointless to do.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 02-20-2005, 03:47 PM

won't making a true dual exhaust on a max make one side longer than the other and therefore make a funky *** sound. there have been so many threads like this i've read lately- im bored of it. there is no real advantage to it, except saying "i spent hella money and had hella headaches and gained maybe 20 hp- total guess, probably won't get that. but i got true dual dude!"

i think a better idea- is well pretty much anything
Old 02-20-2005, 03:56 PM
This is a democracy

blah blah blah......

dave-1
nino-0
Old 02-20-2005, 04:02 PM
be the change u want2C

Ok #1

I know it would be pointless, Isisnt it pointless trying to go fast in a 4dr sedan buddy? Im just trying to be different

# 2
When have I ever claimed to be an expert on Maximas, all i know is basic bolt on stuff, and some things at that, If i were an experet why would I come here to see your you every day???
Old 02-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Hooooooonda.....

#1 I've never seen youin my life, thank God.
#2 Why do you come here to see(read what I write) everyday?
#3 If it's pointless to go fast in a 4 dr sedan than why the hell are you so mad that your car runsso damn slow at the track? Why do you bother putting performance parts on it when you know you'll be in a slow 4dr sedan anyway?
#4 Why do you come here to see(read what I write) everyday? Oh wait, I already asked that. But yeah, I come here to read up on new stuff, maybe help someone out, and make others laugh at your expense. You on the other hand come here to find out if I wrote something about you.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Project Ruby......

pointless to go fast in a 4 door? Then why do Benz, BMW, and the likes make ridiculously fast 4 doors?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:32 PM
This is a democracy

dave-2
nino-0

give up dude.....the duals wont work.....
Old 02-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Irish, you going to the track apr 9th?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:10 PM
This is a democracy

i want to but it depends on work and school.....you going?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
#1 I've never seen youin my life, thank God.
#2 Why do you come here to see(read what I write) everyday?
#3 If it's pointless to go fast in a 4 dr sedan than why the hell are you so mad that your car runsso damn slow at the track? Why do you bother putting performance parts on it when you know you'll be in a slow 4dr sedan anyway?
#4 Why do you come here to see(read what I write) everyday? Oh wait, I already asked that. But yeah, I come here to read up on new stuff, maybe help someone out, and make others laugh at your expense. You on the other hand come here to find out if I wrote something about you.

haha you make me laugh dave..

irish you should come to the track! its gonna be fun!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:21 PM
This is a democracy

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck
haha you make me laugh dave..

irish you should come to the track! its gonna be fun!

like i said i really want to, cause i havent been able to go to a real good track before, but i dont know about work or school..so its up in the air....it would be a fun time though...
Old 02-20-2005, 08:51 PM
UCF Lexus

what the hell is this crap
Old 02-20-2005, 09:02 PM

just try it out and see if it is possible, but if i was you, just get a nice exhaust and call it a day, that is a lot easier.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Irishmax99
like i said i really want to, cause i havent been able to go to a real good track before, but i dont know about work or school..so its up in the air....it would be a fun time though...
The 9th is a saturday. GLD isn't what I would call a real good track, it's a slow track.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:38 PM
be the change u want2C

Like i said before, its not for going fast, its just to make my car different. Who doesnt like to be different?
maximus i already have a nice exhaust set up, it just the noise, too much. I want to have a nice deep resonance, I never even said I was going to do it, I said should, people like to jump to conclusions here (couph couph Dave) my original plan and what still is the plan is just to get the 350z muffler. I was just thinking of something else.
Also GLd is always packed with funny cars, they always have competitions, Ive seen a lot of weird things run there, snow mobiles, scooters, im not sure I think i saw an ATV one time. But yeah that track is always packed...
Old 02-20-2005, 10:55 PM
This is a democracy

even if its a slow track...its better than whats around here....theres nothing worth a damn within even 2 hours
Old 02-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Hooooooonda.....

WHat does couph mean ninos? You obviously went to the track only once as what you said is false on many days. They have HS runs which means everyone gets in line and you wait your turn. The faster cars have their days when they make 2-4 runs before normal cars get one. Then again what would I expect from a guy that waits 4hr for his manifold to cool off cause the highway drive made it hot. BOOHOO. Do you wait 4hrs on the street for the engine to cool off everytime your inner-ricer wants to race?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 AM

Ok #1

I know it would be pointless, Isisnt it pointless trying to go fast in a 4dr sedan buddy? Im just trying to be different
yeh what about the subaru wrx's and the EVO's? yeh don't mess with them. they'll tear you out of the hole.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:31 AM
MaximaFreak

If you're doing it for asthetic reasons, then you y off the existing cat back just before the muffler and put a pipe with a tip on it to match your muffler tip.

If you're doing it for performance, you're on the right track with wanting true duals, but as everyone points out ... it's just not worth it. Sure it's possible in many different ways (all costing much moolah), but any extra power you gain from that will be negligable in the grand scheme of things. If you want more airflow, get a 3" exhaust all the way through.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by Ninos_Maxima
now that i come to think about it, i know a good exhaust shop who custom made my hole exhuast system, excpet for y pipe, i should just get them to make me 2 custom y's one off each header, make the second one curve down the original exhaust path on the underside. so there will be 2 exhausts going down the same path, except instead of one 2.5" there will be 2 2.0"going all the way down to the muffler. what about that. o yeah these guys are cheap to, they made my current exhaust set up, including hi-flow cat, for $240. There cheap cause i refered like 35 cars to them, heheehe
Have you ever looked under your car or done any exhaust work? Your not going to be able to fit two pipes along side each other and follow the stock path. What about the flex sections?. What abou the cat? What about the hangers? You would still have unequal lenth piping and get the same type of sound. Then you plan on connecting these two pipes to one muffler? Or are you gonna run one pipe around the spare tire well and run two mufflers? How are you gonna fit the second muffler in there?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM
be the change u want2C

yeah i figured that mike, but it was a stupid idea, what i had, I was thinking of making the pipes cubed at a point so it would fit. Dave ive been there on many free days, They call it open racing days or something, I dont street race anymore, And I aint no god damn ricer neither, get that thru your thick skull. O yeah In an auto if your tranny is burrnin hot you get nothing out of it, if its a slipping burning hot auto tranny you have to cool it down or else the slippage gets worse, I dont wait for the damn manifold to cool down you num nut. the surface temp only effects about 4% of the air going in.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Hooooooonda.....

First of all it's numBnut, there's a B in there. Your last post just further proves your lack of damn common sense. You want to spend all this money on a pointless exhaust, if it's for looks then I have to laugh now as I'm not stupid enough to bend down and look at your rusted-*** pipes. You waited 4hrs for your trans to cool, great, sorry I jumped to the conclusion that you were waiting for the manifold to cool. But yeah, common sense would tell me that if you know the trans is hot, why not get a damn trans cooler, maybe even 5 of them. It's only ~$50 and prolongs the trans' life greatly. I always try to be friends with everyone I meet, but for some reason I don't think we'll ever be friends. Every time you write something it feels like Paul Walker himself crawled up your *** and started reading the script from the fast and the furious. Pointless crap after pointless crap, with some ricer stuff, and much misinformation dumped between all the pointless crap. Who knows, maybe I'll like you when we meet and hopefully you won't say anything stupid to change my mind, who knows. The way I act on the ORG is a 180* opposite of the way I am in real life, maybe you're the same.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 PM

ALRIGHT, IF THE IGNORANT NINOS MAXIMA WANTS TO DO THE SETUP THAT BAD, SO BE IT, LET HIM DO IT!!! IS NOT OUR MONEY, its his that he's spendin. So therefore, no more fighting and just tell us how it goes buddy aiight?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:30 PM
be the change u want2C

ah g4, did you read the whole thread???

OK cool dave, the reason i didnt install a tranny cooler is because, before i was thinking hmm failing tranny, excuse to do 5spd swap. But when i get back, im going to need to save that tranny untill I have enouph money to swap, well also id like to apologize to you dave if I did offend you, I feel the same, maybe we could be good friends, O yeah what part of chicago do you live in?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Hooooooonda.....

harlem/addison