4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is this the symptom of a low battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001 | 02:40 PM

After I leave my car sitting overnight or for a long time it is hard to start. It always starts on the firts try it just sounds like it is struggling to start. Then after I start it and drive it it starts fine the rest of the day. Then today it was starting fine and then I went to wash my car. When I was washing it my girlfriend was sitting in the car listening to the radio, when I got back in to start it it struggled again so im thinking its the battery. They must have sold me the car with a near dead battery. (Bastards)lol Im about to go get it tested at auto Zone just thought id check with you guys and see for sure if its the battery. Thanks and Take Care
Old 05-01-2001 | 03:09 PM

Oh and are there any desent batteries I can get from Auto Zone or should I get one from somewhere else? What battery should I get, any Suggestions? Thanks
Old 05-01-2001 | 03:27 PM

Originally posted by SB97MAX
After I leave my car sitting overnight or for a long time it is hard to start. It always starts on the firts try it just sounds like it is struggling to start. Then after I start it and drive it it starts fine the rest of the day. Then today it was starting fine and then I went to wash my car. When I was washing it my girlfriend was sitting in the car listening to the radio, when I got back in to start it it struggled again so im thinking its the battery. They must have sold me the car with a near dead battery. (Bastards)lol Im about to go get it tested at auto Zone just thought id check with you guys and see for sure if its the battery. Thanks and Take Care
What do you mean by "struggling to start"? Did you turn the key to START and get only feeble clicking sounds instead of normal cranking?"? Was the cranking speed slower than usual? Did it crank at normal speed but fail to fire right away?
Old 05-01-2001 | 03:32 PM

I turned the key and it starts it just takes longer you know theres that urh urh urh sound then it starts. So yeah It takes longer than usual to start. Thanks for the help
Old 05-01-2001 | 03:45 PM

Anyone, could someone please help quick, im gettin ready to go get a new battery or atleast get it tested and if it is low then I would like to know what kind of battery to get. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 05-01-2001 | 04:03 PM

Originally posted by SB97MAX
I turned the key and it starts it just takes longer you know theres that urh urh urh sound then it starts. So yeah It takes longer than usual to start. Thanks for the help
If your engine cranks at the normal speed (Rrr-Rrr-Rrr) but it doesn't fire (Vroom!) right away, your battery is good and your starter motor is good.

The reluctance to fire may arise from many things, but especially ...
- a faulty Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
- an obstructed fuel filter
- a weak fuel pump
Old 05-01-2001 | 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
If your engine cranks at the normal speed (Rrr-Rrr-Rrr) but it doesn't fire (Vroom!) right away, your battery is good and your starter motor is good.

The reluctance to fire may arise from many things, but especially ...
- a faulty Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
- an obstructed fuel filter
- a weak fuel pump
Old 05-01-2001 | 06:10 PM

Just got back from Auto Zone. My battery was to blame. It was tested and it had .004 Volts or watts or whichever it is. But it was very very low so I got a new one and it starts perfectly now. Thanks for the help Daniel. Take Care