4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ebay Front Strut Tower Bar. Any good???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:49 AM

Ebay Front Strut Tower Bar. Any good???

I just bought a FSTB on ebay fo like 25 bucks and i was just curious if anyone else has gotten one and if its any decent. here's the link to see it>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEBI:IT
Old 02-23-2005, 04:56 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

yeah those are good, they all do the same thing
Old 02-23-2005, 05:51 AM

well, i wouldnt say good. they all do the same thing, which is nothing.

these things are more for looks.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:34 AM
sunten1

Theres a strut bar GD going on in the GD Boards... GD=Group Deal

Old 02-23-2005, 06:43 AM
bignutts

Originally Posted by jackiss2888
well, i wouldnt say good. they all do the same thing, which is nothing.

these things are more for looks.

more for looks huh. i guess calipers and rotors are just for looks too huh?

Old 02-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bignutts

I agree. They have their purpose. They may not make eathshattering improvements, but any time you can stiffen the wide open engine bay, it is an improvement. Unlike the trunk box, which is an enclosed area, the engine bay needs as much help as possible to keep from flexing. FSTB do give some help.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:08 AM

There is a GD right now from Paradox on FSTB for $20 shipped .. get it
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by bignutts
roflmao

Old 02-23-2005, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doc
I agree. They have their purpose. They may not make eathshattering improvements, but any time you can stiffen the wide open engine bay, it is an improvement. Unlike the trunk box, which is an enclosed area, the engine bay needs as much help as possible to keep from flexing. FSTB do give some help.
Ah so then you agree that the rear strut bars are basically pointless?... I mean yeah it'll do something.. maybe but not worth it. Rear sway bar will do the real work.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Doc

I don't see the point of rears, but fronts I do.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:20 AM

I thought so myself, someone wanted to buy both the rear sway bar and rear strut bar... ack.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Doc

Originally Posted by illmortal
I thought so myself, someone wanted to buy both the rear sway bar and rear strut bar... ack.

Yepper. If someone wants to used a rear sway or strut bar then some serious consideration needs to be given to the overall suspension set up. The reason for this is that if the rear is too tight, moreso than the front, there will be a handling problem because the tail will tend to hop and swing out at inopportune times. Most times the rear sway set up is for things like road moto racing where the suspension is tuned to work with this correctly.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:34 AM
the Light is among you

I asked this question on another thread, but since this one is newer, I'll ask it again.

If strut tower bars are cheap and help with flexing as much as many here claim, why doesn't Nissan, (or any other manufacturer for that matter) have them already? Do many here think that a $25-50 improvement to handling would be left out of a $25-30K car if it really helped as much as some claim?

Personally, I don't think a strut tower bar helps as much with handling as it does with asthetics. But for the price, who really cares? If you like it, buy the damn thing and who cares what anyone else thinks about it.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:35 AM

oh damn, so maybe I should reconsider rear sway bars... I mean as far as say... losing control at what point would you lose it?... During high speed curves? or more like a left turn trying to push 40MPH?... or even a U-Turn?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Doc

I asked this question on another thread, but since this one is newer, I'll ask it again.

If strut tower bars are cheap and help with flexing as much as many here claim, why doesn't Nissan, (or any other manufacturer for that matter) have them already? Do many here think that a $25-50 improvement to handling would be left out of a $25-30K car if it really helped as much as some claim?

Personally, I don't think a strut tower bar helps as much with handling as it does with asthetics. But for the price, who really cares? If you like it, buy the damn thing and who cares what anyone else thinks about it.

One more thing, cheap or not, that car manufacturers can cut cost on. The bottom line is saving in any way they can. If you hit the auto shows, you'll see, however, that most are now installing these on the brand new models for the past several years.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by theshawn

uhm...i sworn I've seen rather EVOs or WRX come stock with them, I believe it was in Austrilia but I could be wrong, it might have been car shows for aftermarket upgrades.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Doc

oh damn, so maybe I should reconsider rear sway bars... I mean as far as say... losing control at what point would you lose it?... During high speed curves? or more like a left turn trying to push 40MPH?... or even a U-Turn?

It would be more like the high speed turns or quicker turns on less than smooth pavement. With your rear end tightened and less give, the car make slide or hop on you and fishtail more. Now if the suspension is set up to work more with this added stiffness, things are corrected.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:55 AM

As far as corrected, do you mean to adjust the sway bar, or adjust the struts?.. sorry I'm asking these questions I never thought about the negatives of a sway bar.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Doc

As far as corrected, do you mean to adjust the sway bar, or adjust the struts?.. sorry I'm asking these questions I never thought about the negatives of a sway bar.

No problem. With my limited knowledge, what I understand is this. Your struts and spring rates must be adjusted to handle the added rigidity of the sway and strut bars. The suspension will actually help the sway and strut bars do their job more effectively if it has the correct damping setting. Supposedly just stiffening everything up could be a little dangerous because you would have a car that structurally is too tight for the suspension travel it is allowed. I'll try to find some factual info on this. I know I've read and listened to this information many times which made me rethink doing a rear strut or sway until I can do my suspension. I'm not sure any of my babblings helped, but I'm trying.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:06 AM

No no I understand, so basically as far as the damping settings you'd have to have adjustable struts before thinking of installing a rear sway bar. I guess that would be considered common sense. Yeah if you find the thread/link I'd def. check it out.

Thanks for some of the info and thanks in advance for more information if available.

-illmortal
Old 02-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Doc

You bet, brother. I'm wanting you to stay safe in whatever you decide.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
bignutts

[QUOTE=theshawn]I asked this question on another thread, but since this one is newer, I'll ask it again.

first of all nissan didnt put it in the maxima because its a family sedan not a performance car like we build it up to be after modding.

and they are all about make a lasting car that drives and shifts smooth, thats why they didnt put a stage two clutch in the 5 speeds. and if you really wanna go there why didnt they put a hayden oil cooler kit in the max if it extends the life of the engine? huh? riddle me that