4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

has anyone had this problem before?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2000, 04:49 AM

Yesterday my 95GLE was running perfect as always. I go to start my car to leave and it doesn't start. It doesn't do anything. I turn the key and that's it. If anyone has tried to start their car while it's in drive that's what it's like. The funny thing is a few hours later I try again and it starts right up. I drive if for 10 minutes, it get's nice and hot, then it won't start. So it starts when it's cold, but when it's hot, nothing. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it.

thank you
nick t.

Old 10-07-2000, 05:09 AM

I'm no mechanic, but based on my own personal experience, you might have a loose battery cable. If not that, it could be a corroded starter. Luck...
Old 10-07-2000, 05:53 AM
NeO OnE 2

Why would u start the car while in "D"?
Next time, open your hood and get something solid like a piece of "The Club" and hit the starter a few times and the car should start.

Old 10-07-2000, 09:29 AM

I wouldn't recommend hitting the starter with anything since it's a gear reduction type design with easily damaged permanent magnets (verses wire wound magnetic fields found on older designs) and very expensive to replace or repair.

If a loose battery cable connection, ground connection at the engine block or starter doesn't turn out to be your problem, it sounds like your starter motors brushes are worn to the point of only working intermittently due to increasingly iffy contact with the armatures commutator segments. This is a common way for starters to fail and, from what I gather, Maximas are notorious for this.
Old 10-07-2000, 09:40 AM
NeO OnE 2

>I wouldn't recommend hitting the starter with anything since it's a gear reduction type design with easily damaged permanent magnets (verses wire wound magnetic fields found on older designs) and very expensive to replace or repair.
>If a loose battery cable connection, ground connection at the engine block or starter doesn't turn out to be your problem, it sounds like your starter motors brushes are worn to the point of only working intermittently due to increasingly iffy contact with the armatures commutator segments. This is a common way for starters to fail and, from what I gather, Maximas are notorious for this.

ok, so he might as well hit the starter to see if it turns on or not 'cause if it's bad it won't. I had starter problem once in a while since over a year ago and it works everytime. The starter wont break unless you hit it w/ great force. Trust me.

Old 10-07-2000, 11:29 AM

My car was doing something like that for a while. The contacts in the ignition switch were worn. See if pushing the key a little farther or pushing it in makes a difference. If so, I would say that's the culprit.
Old 10-07-2000, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by nickt
... it doesn't start. It doesn't do anything. I turn the key and that's it. If anyone has tried to start their car while it's in drive that's what it's like.
You are reporting a no-crank problem.

Always do the easy check first. If your vehicle is a 5-speed, make sure the clutch pedal is all the way down when you twist the key to START. If automatic, jiggle the shifter while attempting to crank. Try cranking in both Park and Neutral. If those steps are unsuccessful, consider ...

- bad ignition switch
- bad clutch safety switch (5-speed)
- bad neutral safety switch (automatic)
- bad interlock relay
- bad solenoid
- bad starter

The starter is an expensive item so I would check the other items before spending the money on a replacement. In my personal experience, the interlock relay has been a trouble spot.

Old 10-07-2000, 05:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had this problem in the Altima a couple of times... it was solved by releasing my ebrake and rolling back slightly... don't ask me why but I've heard this is something that happens to automatic Nissans. After I did this I was able to start it up with no problems. Maybe it was because it wasn't completely in park.
Old 10-08-2000, 04:43 PM

It's probably the starter. I think that everybody else on the board with a '95 has already replaced their starter.
Old 10-15-2000, 05:21 PM

Starter

Originally posted by Ants97SE
I had this problem in the Altima a couple of times... it was solved by releasing my ebrake and rolling back slightly... don't ask me why but I've heard this is something that happens to automatic Nissans. After I did this I was able to start it up with no problems. Maybe it was because it wasn't completely in park.
Gotta agree with Micha. I have a 95SE 5spd and have replaced my starter (bad starter relay). I used to have to bang on it to get it to start.
Old 10-15-2000, 06:54 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Add me to the list

That is exactly what my 95 did last year. It turned out to be a bad starter. But, mine was preceded by slow starts for about a month before it started not starting all the time.