4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel Economy??? HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel Economy??? HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Whats Up My Fellow Maxima riders I have a question about my new baby.
I am interested in knowing how does this car do on GAS?
I am am curious because it seems as if if I spend lots of money already trying to keep her filled.
I am thinking of taking her to a mechanic very soon but I decided to do my research first.

If someone can help a me out and just let me know what thier experiences have been with fuel, or if thier is something that can be causing the vehicle to be doing this.

-Someone told me that my pin could just be broken but that dosent seem like the problem.
-I dont really know much about the overall maintinence of the vehicle and possible something could be old or worn out that is connecting to the problem.

Thanks to all that check this and God Bless!

-MaxAmust
Peace
Old 02-24-2005, 08:37 PM

You have to put your fuel consumption in context.

A) What kind of car do you have? Is it an automatic or manual transmission?
B) How many miles on the car? Do you have a maintenance history?
C) What kind of fuel are you using, ie. what octane?
D) What kind of driving do you do mostly, city, highway, combination thereof?
E) Do you know how to calculate miles per gallon? Fill it right up to the brim. Set the trip odometer. Drive it to below 1/4 tank. Fill it to the brim. Divide the miles driven by the gallons consumed, ie. miles per gallon.

Your post does not help your fellow members solve your problem one iota - its like looking for a needle in a haystack without more input from you.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:47 PM

Your problem is that you live in New York City.

No matter how hard you try you'll get bad gas mileage in NYC.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Team Ramrod

you didnt research how good or bad your car was before you bought it? well i put 91 in my car, i used to put 93 but gas prices are outrageous. i usually go through about 20-30 bucks a week depending on how much i drive obviously, its a 6 cylinder, so you cant expect great gas milage
Old 02-25-2005, 06:46 AM

We get about 27 mpg on our 95 max with 130k miles. We don't baby it but we don't do burnouts either. Highway speeds around 75 to 80 mph depending on traffic and cops.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I get 25mpg in the city (some spirited driving), and 29.9mpg on the highway (80-90mph)
Old 02-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I didnt do as much reasearch on the car because I was desperately in need of a car.
However it is a Automatic 1995 and I drive both city, highway daily.
The car has 106,000 miles on it. The last one dated in side the maual was a long time ago.
However there was a sticker on there for the next oil change at 108,000 miles.

Thanks for the advice about how to calculate the milage and apologize for the prior lack of info about my car.

P.S Can someone tell what are some of the things that I should change and check, often than others and is a performance air filter and or intake better than the factory one.

Thanks again
MaxAmust
Old 02-25-2005, 06:16 PM

Your car is a car. It's not a person.

"She" doesn't exist. You sound like a crazy hippy. Typical of who is moving into new york city. But we will help you.

Dont expect more than 250 miles a tank if you drive your car in the city. If you do some highway driving you can get 250-300. If you do all highway you can probably get upto about 380 a tank. I got 400 out of a tank once driving from Savannah GA to NY.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by MaxAmust
I didnt do as much reasearch on the car because I was desperately in need of a car.
However it is a Automatic 1995 and I drive both city, highway daily.
The car has 106,000 miles on it. The last one dated in side the maual was a long time ago.
However there was a sticker on there for the next oil change at 108,000 miles.

Thanks for the advice about how to calculate the milage and apologize for the prior lack of info about my car.

P.S Can someone tell what are some of the things that I should change and check, often than others and is a performance air filter and or intake better than the factory one.

Thanks again
MaxAmust
if you have your owners manual, it should show you the things you should do when you car reaches a certain amount of miles. yes, an aftermarket performance air filter is better than the stock one. i do not reccomend an intake. its just a noise maker. if you want noise, do a hacked airbox mod and if you want some extra power then do an oscai (all of this in the faq's btw) change your spark plugs, atf, oil, check all your fluids, just the normal tune-up things. im sure i am missing some stuff, but other users will correct me or add to the list. check your brakes, check for any leaks, check your exhaust for holes or anything, i basically just looked over my entire car inside and out when i bought it. a lot of it is just common sense, since your car has 106k miles, be prepared for some things to go.
good luck